• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iPad as an EFB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay. I just remember someone on here saying that it took him seven hours in his hotel room to load the initial app.

I believe it with a slow connection and early on in the app.

Its still worth the $499 for portable and easy jepps....the question will be will Jepp totally dik it up like they did with Jeppview. I hope not.

I use the iPad with Jepp as a back-up to our EFB's that are hard wired in our G-IV. I used to print back up plates for international destinations because I don't trust our CMA-1100 which are the biggest POS efb's I've ever used. I do think it's a little crappy that Jepp charges a full site key for the iPad when you can only use terminal charts though. I wanted to purchase a fifth key and they wanted two grand for it

But the one question remains
is the iPad FAA approved ??
Can I legally take it in the cockpit and legally use it for IFR navigation ?

A simple yes or no with the appropriate link is sufficient.

Tx

There is no such thing as "FAA approved" for Part 91 operations with an EFB - reference AC91-78.

Yes, you can take an iPad into the cockpit and use it for IFR navigation.

There is no such thing as "FAA approved" for Part 91 operations with an EFB - reference AC91-78.

Boiler is right.

I talked with my local FSDO about this just to make completly sure and they said the same thing and then sent me the -78. They are hands off with this.

Has anyone heard anything more about the release date for the Ipad2?
Feb 1 has come and gone!

Just to clarify Boiler's post, you cannot use the ipad's built-in GPS to replace onboard navigational equipment such as your FMS, GPS, etc. You can, however, use the electronic display of charts to replace paper, under straight Part 91. I'm hearing more and more that 135 operators are getting FSDO approval, though.

I'm still hearing an early Feb announcement of ipad2 and March-April deliveries.

Has anyone heard anything more about the release date for the Ipad2?
Feb 1 has come and gone!

March 2. And Foreflight has geo-referenced plates now and the ability to dim the unit until it's nearly black. This thing just keeps getting better.

Hey Bleeds,

Not that I don't believe you but do you have the announcement?
I've been waiting for this. Meanwhile i'll google it again.
THX
jjet

Latest resources

Back