• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Integrating AAI into SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And you are right TY. From a business stand point, it would not make any sense to bleed out our cash to kill AT, nor would it make sense for AT to continue to run head to head with SWA. so SWA got AT at a smoking deal. Thats why your CEO said live on our SWA TV that it was a good deal for the employees of AT for the long run. What us pilots are forgetting about is the share holders want to make money. Both sides see the grand opportunity this brings to the big picture. I heard overnight additional 35 net airplanes will be needed after the Acquisition, and this is due to what our route structure brings to ATL. And not forget what ATL brings back into the system. The good news GK has stated that we have 19.9% market share and will have 49+% in the next 5-10 years. GK did say TY WEBB will have to be a FO for a year, then back to capt. Just kidding! lol

Great post Tex.

This combination will be very lean and has the potential to make the combined companies dominant ( if you didn't already think that SWA was already dominant :)). I understand that the future may lead to flying that neither company thought was possible. I think we may have some interesting aircraft and destinations in our future.

My understanding is that Atlanta will move to over 300 flights a day shortly. AirTran had dropped to around 200 a day recently when the emphasis shifted to MKE.

Exciting times ahead. I'll leave the details to our Merger Committees.

Cheers.

Heya, Gup-

No, there is no such provision. I read the whole thing from cover to cover and there is no reference to SWA whatsoever. We (Pilots) wanted to include a provision where sections would re-open in the event the merger fell through, but it was to get the better rates we deserve, not to go backwards.

The Pilots settled for lower rates than we would have (especially on the Capt side) because the leverage of striking was gone. For example, a 10th yr CA got a lousy 8% raise after 5.5 years of negotiations, instead of the 15% or more we should have gotten. No way would we have settled for that if we could have been released by the NMB.

Actually Ty, though it wasn't in the TA there was reference in the Summary to 'mid-contract negotiations':

“After additional mid-contract negotiations, interest based arbitration on benefits in 2012 absent consensual agreement.”

Hopefully this isn't some trap!

If you think what he posted was an olive branch then I would hate to see what you think is an insult.

It wasn't intended as an olive branch or an insult. It is an observation, I'm afraid I can't see how it is insulting.

It just is.

Actually Ty, though it wasn't in the TA there was reference in the Summary to 'mid-contract negotiations':

“After additional mid-contract negotiations, interest based arbitration on benefits in 2012 absent consensual agreement.”

Hopefully this isn't some trap!

That's just arbitration for insurance benefits. Nothing else.

Ty,

Take a deep breath brother. Think about what you just said:

Your career expectations were so low you were willing to walk away.

September 27th changed that, and the contract you are about to get is mind blowing! No strike required!

That's not what it means Ivauir. Striking isn't about low expectations. Do you think that the United Pilots had low career expectations in 2000? How about UPS, Fedex, AMR or any other group that has shown they were willing to strike if necessary? Your question really does a disservice to 80 + years of Pilots using one of the few tools available to them under the NMB.

You're worried about your seniority after the SLI process, we get it. Give it a rest already, the sun doesn't rise and set based upon the SWA-AAI seniority list integration.

Last edited:
That's not what it means Ivauir. Striking isn't about low expectations. Do you think that the United Pilots had low career expectations in 2000? How about UPS, Fedex, AMR or any other group that has shown they were willing to strike if necessary? Your question really does a disservice to 80 + years of Pilots using one of the few tools available to them under the NMB.

Ty,

Expectations doesn't equal results.

Striking is a bold move, but, especially when the carrier in question doesn't have much cash, it is a dangerous move.

I understand and respect the over 80 years of union activism. Unfortunately not everyone studies the past for relevant lessons. Some choose to cherry pick and imagine that only good things can result from labor actions.

You're worried about your seniority after the SLI process, we get it.

Nope. Fair and equitable will take care of me.

Give it a rest already, the sun doesn't rise and set based upon the SWA-AAI seniority list integration.

I'll give it a rest when you do. It is transparent that you are positioning your imaginary post strike wages as some spectacular gain. No one is buying it.

It wasn't intended as an olive branch or an insult. It is an observation, I'm afraid I can't see how it is insulting.

It just is.

I simply pointed out the fallacy of your statement that AirTran has avoided competing with Southwest. I personally didn't find it offensive, just misguided, someone else felt my response to it was.

Last edited:
Uhhhh, um yeah. Growth in Atlanta? Where can more aircraft possibly land and takeoff? Delta has already tried annexing taxiway mike for landing. Perhaps a monstrous pizza party to get exclusive use of runway 28?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back