• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Integrating AAI into SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny to some- pretty stupid to others- the culture at southwest is pretty much everything- just how do statements like that help anything - I mean, as much fun as showing your ass is...
:)
Look- both sides need to get over the idea of "fair"- there's a reason it's so closely related to "fairy tale"- there will be a huge number of examples of unfairness when it's all said and done- but the big picture will be well- it's a matter of perspective
As for 700/year- that is true- expect it bc it's going to happen, once this merger is complete to include the AT pilots- there are a lot of good things coming- so relax...And keep competing

Funny to some- pretty stupid to others- the culture at southwest is pretty much everything- just how do statements like that help anything - I mean, as much fun as showing your ass is...
:)
Look- both sides need to get over the idea of "fair"- there's a reason it's so closely related to "fairy tale"- there will be a huge number of examples of unfairness when it's all said and done- but the big picture will be well- it's a matter of perspective
As for 700/year- that is true- expect it bc it's going to happen, once this merger is complete to include the AT pilots- there are a lot of good things coming- so relax...And keep competing

Thanks Tony Robbins, but something tells me when the foodfight is over, people aren't going to look back and say, "Gee, this SLI would have been a lot smoother without all those nasty posts on FI . . . "

chairfly the ILS 29 at OAK. Gonna be seeing a lot of it.

That's pretty funny except.........I'm sitting my 3rd consecutive Thanksgiving on reserve in OAK. Time and a half helps ease the pain, not to mention the meals in all the domiciles.

Last edited:
Lear,

I really don't think that is going to happen, but I'd be REALLY careful making blanket statements about what the law does and does not allow. This exact scenario has been done. Here.
Not since Bond-McCaskill was in place... it's a game changer.

Trying to apply pilot type absolutes in the legal field can be very dangerous. But I can see where bringing this up offends some, sort of like when some think that B/M gives you guys all of the leverage or that a 94 hire should have the same seniority as a 74 hire. I think it better if none of us go there.
I'm not saying it gives us all the leverage, not saying that at all...

I just don't believe any of the "scare tactics" that have been promulgated by a few people here or the arguments about "being in financial trouble" or any other such nonsense, and I believe something equitable can and will be found between our two pilot groups.

Again, i really doubt this will happen. I think a reasonable SLI will be achieved by reasonable people and our competing interests can be balanced. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Happy thanksgiving!
My thoughts exactly! :beer:

Thanks Tony Robbins, but something tells me when the foodfight is over, people aren't going to look back and say, "Gee, this SLI would have been a lot smoother without all those nasty posts on FI . . . "

Yeah cool cat, then whats your point? Just to stir sh/t up? bc Im not gonna stop beating that anti- airways drum---- this isn't days of our lives, though for you and those like you, it seems to be

There seems to be two fundamental differences in view point on this subject.

AT pilots think this is a merger of seniority lists.

SWA pilots think this is an integration of seniority lists.

AT pilots feel it is two great companies coming together to kick some serious butt. SWA pilots feel Southwest bought AT to kick some serious butt.

These fundamental different approaches to this acquisition is why there are differences in opinion on how a potential arbitration will take place.

This is by far the number one topic in our cockpits, lounges, overnight watering holes and the jetways during the crew changes. And our pilots are VERY concerned about the preservation of our seniority with DOH and career expectations along with our great culture. I can honestly say that if the AT pilots push this to arbitration, and the outcome appears to the SWA pilots as "unfair", sadly there will largely be two pilot groups at SWA. Original SWAs and Relative ATs. This would take many years to emotionally accept for most of the SWA pilots. I truly hope we can accept an agreement outside of a law mandated arbitration. If the AT MEC agrees, and the SWA pilots vote to agree, we can truly be one big happy family.

I have personally never felt the law is always fair. M/B does not guarantee a fair outcome.

Good luck to us all.

Dash, you look at the things that swa could take to an arbitrator and the list is endless. AAI? I don't think it would take too long for their presentation. Oh and they'll have to try really hard to wipe those huge cheshire cat grins off their faces. I believe that the swa nc will make a very reasonable offer to the aai nc. The aai nc can take their chances at arbitration. But if they are seen to be greedy in the face of a reasonable offer, they could get burned. The swa guys/gals have nothing to gain but seniority, so if they lose that, bye-bye nice place to work. Do the aai guys/gals want to take that over to swa? They need to realise what a smoking deal this is for them and be grateful. Growth? That's a two way street. Financial viability? I believe aai had $400m in the bank with $2bil in debt. Can you say economic downturn and oil spike? $400m is very modest in these times. $230m in bag fees for 2009? Well run company? Hmm. Not so sure. SWA will show them how it's done. GLTA.

Last edited:
There seems to be two fundamental differences in view point on this subject.

AT pilots think this is a merger of seniority lists.

SWA pilots think this is an integration of seniority lists.

AT pilots feel it is two great companies coming together to kick some serious butt. SWA pilots feel Southwest bought AT to kick some serious butt.

These fundamental different approaches to this acquisition is why there are differences in opinion on how a potential arbitration will take place.

This is by far the number one topic in our cockpits, lounges, overnight watering holes and the jetways during the crew changes. And our pilots are VERY concerned about the preservation of our seniority with DOH and career expectations along with our great culture. I can honestly say that if the AT pilots push this to arbitration, and the outcome appears to the SWA pilots as "unfair", sadly there will largely be two pilot groups at SWA. Original SWAs and Relative ATs. This would take many years to emotionally accept for most of the SWA pilots. I truly hope we can accept an agreement outside of a law mandated arbitration. If the AT MEC agrees, and the SWA pilots vote to agree, we can truly be one big happy family.

I have personally never felt the law is always fair. M/B does not guarantee a fair outcome.

Good luck to us all.

So ..... You're saying that you won't speak to us if you don't get what you want ? If you dont get what you think is fair you're going to behave like a child. You are going to help destroy your much vaunted culture ?

I dont care how many years it takes you to "emotionally accept" the outcome. Grow up. You sound like an old US Air pilot.

I think you should amend the last line of your post to read; "Good luck to me".

So ..... You're saying that you won't speak to us if you don't get what you want ? If you dont get what you think is fair you're going to behave like a child. You are going to help destroy your much vaunted culture ?

I dont care how many years it takes you to "emotionally accept" the outcome. Grow up. You sound like an old US Air pilot.

I think you should amend the last line of your post to read; "Good luck to me".

I really do not think he meant it that way. You have to realize that if it goes to arbitration it will be fair. There will probably be 3 arbitrators that hears the case. They will see that Air tran is bringing nothing to the table except employees. Everything else was bought with money. Like I said I think most employees from Airtran realize that. There must be a reason why 100% of the Airtran employees are very happy with the buy out and cannot wait for the deal to be complete. Relax and enjoy what you get. It will be fair.

Latest resources

Back