• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Informational Stapling Compass to Delta Website

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If Compass gets stapled, there will be 175's flown at Shuttle America and mainline at the same time. I think all 170's and 175's should be flown at mainline. I don't see how stapling Compass is going to protect scope. All it will do is let the company put more 175's at Shuttle.

IF this happens there is a really good argument for that. One step at a time. (PID et al.)
The true thrust of this is to make sure we do not separate their MEC form ours. If we do that, we will give away options later.
No one wants to open section 6 if they do not need to.
Lets see how this plays out in all of the bases.
It will be presented at the LEC 44 meeting in ATL on the 13th. It is on the agenda.

If Compass gets stapled, there will be 175's flown at Shuttle America and mainline at the same time. I think all 170's and 175's should be flown at mainline. I don't see how stapling Compass is going to protect scope. All it will do is let the company put more 175's at Shuttle.

Aside from the fact that the number of 76 seaters would be further limited by this resolution, the more important thing is that it stops the upcoming battle over 100 seaters, such as the E195, and how and where they will be flown.

Compass exists strictly as a concession by the DAL-N pilot group. If for anything else, they should get this flying back and not let themselves get whipsawed by their own concession. If Compass is spun off into its own MEC then whats to stop them from getting rid of the flowthrough in the event DAL furloughs and Compass will be out of work for a long time.

If the DALPA garden wants to grow they should add a little Compost.

Two ways I see that Compass is integrated with the mainline.

1. The company merges the two airlines on its own, this opens up the possibility of negotiating a JCBA. Scope issues are dealt with at that time.

2. We negotiate to integrate the two airlines, probably during section 6. Scope issues are dealt with at that time.

#2 will cost a great deal of negotiating capital. How bad do you want it? Can we afford not to? Obviously the first step is to get the issue on the radar screen, next do an analysis of the economic and professional impact. If we go down the route of integration there needs to be strong grass roots support. Pilots respond well to reasoned arguments, they don't respond well to, emotional arguments, threats, name calling, hostage taking and ultimatums. Just look at the RJDC debacle for an example of how not to do it. Bringing the issue up for debate and resolution at the various LECs is the best way to approach this issue. It's cumbersome and it takes time, but it's the best course of action IMO.

Last edited:
It will be presented at the LEC 44 meeting in ATL on the 13th. It is on the agenda.

I'll be there, and I'll support it.

I'm wondering if those who are bringing forward this resolution have thought of gathering proxies from those who can't make the meeting. If you get 20 supporters, each carrying three proxies you've got 80 votes in favor right from the start. It takes a little bit of networking and a little bit of effort, but it can pay dividends.

I think it is a good idea to take a look at it. What we don't want is for the company to sell off the Compass assets at some point, and leave us with 300 or more unemployed pilots to furlough. USAir sold MDA to Republic, and left those guys hanging. We need to think about which planes will eventually replace the DC9s, and we do NOT want to give that flying away. Already having E175s means E190s could be a logical choice due to training costs and familiarity with mx issues, and that could be worked in there. Let's take a look and see what could happen.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I have mixed feelings on this one. I agree with the idea that once we have mainline pilots flying the 175, it makes the 190/195 a more viable option for Delta (though I think the C-series would be a better aircraft). The problem is, just putting Compass on the mainline list does not take care of the scope problem. We still would not own that flying and I don't think there would be anything preventing the company from sending those airplanes to Republic or someone else. My other fear is that if we staple Compass, the Comair pilots will use this as a springboard to once again try and force their way on to our list, and I want no part of that.

I'll be there, and I'll support it.

I'm wondering if those who are bringing forward this resolution have thought of gathering proxies from those who can't make the meeting. If you get 20 supporters, each carrying three proxies you've got 80 votes in favor right from the start. It takes a little bit of networking and a little bit of effort, but it can pay dividends.

They have and will. We have one out there to do this. Three per present member if my memory serves me correctly.
We are working on it.
As you can see from the draft that was sent to the LEC for a "proof read" We LEC 44 members are not demanding a said result. We are wanting to research and report back. If the MEC has solid evidence to not merge the groups, to spin off the MEC we the members of 44 want to see/hear it.
Personally, I do not want to separate the MEC's and make it that much more difficult to get this going later. Having the same MEC solves problems that we had with the EV and OH groups.

Latest resources

Back