• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Indy- Massive Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To what DOH will a furlough that size affect? Did that make sense?

Paul R. Smith said:

I was wondering the same thing, and the answer is right there in the thread's first post.

What I don't understand is the statement that "pilots that are currently captains will be furloughed". The math on this one is fuzzy, but I'll try:

The thread begins with 500 new furloughs, in addition to the 250 already on the street, and that's "roughly 50%" of the seniority list. That suggests that there are currently about 1250 pilots. Furloughing 500 of those would presumably be all FO's, unless there's a reason that 5+year FO's were bypassed for upgrade and there are some very junior captains on that list.

Li'l help?

Last edited:
Paul R. Smith said:

Most junior guy after the furlough has a hire date of 7/10/2000. Most junior captain after all of the displacements has a hire date of 4/26/1999. Good times, good times....

I.P. Freley said:
What I don't understand is the statement that "pilots that are currently captains will be furloughed".

On the 3rd quarter seniority list the most junior CA is an 8/22/2000 hire. There are approx 24 CA's between that guy and the most junior guy that will be left after all the furloughs. So when the furloughs are complete (this time anyway) everyone that remains will have either been a CA here at one time or at least had the seniority to hold it (but didn't upgrade for various reasons). It's a real mess around here.

j41driver said:
On the 3rd quarter seniority list the most junior CA is an 8/22/2000 hire. There are approx 24 CA's between that guy and the most junior guy that will be left after all the furloughs. So when the furloughs are complete (this time anyway) everyone that remains will have either been a CA here at one time or at least had the seniority to hold it (but didn't upgrade for various reasons). It's a real mess around here.

I am truly sorry to hear that.

Good luck to all of ya at Independence.

I.P. Freley said:
I was wondering the same thing, and the answer is right there in the thread's first post.

I guess that why it pays to read the posts thouroughly. Sorry

j41driver said:
Thank you. We all appreciate it. Got any good job leads? :)

Not sure if we are "actively" recruiting, but UPS is hiring and should hire more than the 100 we officially commited too.

FreightNazi said:
Not sure if we are "actively" recruiting, but UPS is hiring and should hire more than the 100 we officially commited too.

I've been looking all over the place and I can't seem to find anywhere to apply. I did find the web page to apply to other jobs at UPS but no pilot positions. Is this on another website or maybe the window is closed for now?

Sorry to hear about the problems at I-Air.

As I think someone else posted ASA is hiring at the moment. I had a checkride a couple of weeks ago with an APD who does the new hire sim eval. He said that they had been having problems getting qualified people to apply, but that they liked the ACA guys. Flying the sim eval in a CRJ200 sim should be no problems and they already know the aircraft. Even better he said that they told them to fly the sim using their company procedures and they weren't too different from ours.

Going to the bottom of our list would suck but you would be welcome here and not have to resign your seniority at ACA for what that is worth.

Best of luck

Latest resources

Back