Indy- Massive Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Complete the RJ Tour at COEX...

I've heard COEX could hire as many as 500-600 this year. So, if you've flown the D328Jet and the CRJ, why not add the ERJ to your "RJ Tour"... I hear Coex is a good company to work for and that they might be adding E170s soon.

Last edited:
j41driver said:
I've been looking all over the place and I can't seem to find anywhere to apply. I did find the web page to apply to other jobs at UPS but no pilot positions. Is this on another website or maybe the window is closed for now?

You have the correct web site. The window for apps must be closed now. I do know that they got absolutley swamped with apps when it was open earlier, so the pilot position not being available now must mean they have enough apps to select from. Keep trying though, as the window could reopen at any time.

The latest is that we are going to have one more class of second officers and then we will start hiring into the right seat. For those fortunate enough to get hired, you should be on the cusp of a substantial hiring wave.

Last edited:
Heavy Set said:
I've heard COEX could hire as many as 500-600 this year. So, if you've flown the D328Jet and the CRJ, why not add the ERJ to your "RJ Tour"... I hear Coex is a good company to work for and that they might be adding E170s soon.

Gee...just what I wanted...another RJ! I'm just kidding of course. Thank you for the information.

If it mattters to you all, Coex does not require you to give up your recall rights, When I went there about a year ago after I got furloughed from ACA, I was a "shoe-in". No tests, no sim, no technical q's, just why COEX...............as soon as they realized I was furloughed.....They love furloughed Pilots

I had US Air, United, and American Eagle guys in my class.......................Good Luck, It was hard for me, I am sure it is harder with a family......

I just got a May 1 furlough date! Dunno what to do. JetBlue, please buy us so at least we can be furloughed from your list.

The word on the street is that the powers that be traded half the CRJ fleet for no lease payments this year. Dunno any great details, but that gives Indy $100M more than they planned for, and with a smaller fleet that's an extra two quarters or so of cash. I don't know it for myself but some guys have said that Management projected an ideal mix of 60 Airbus:45 CRJs, but were forced to start with 0/87. Now half the equation has been rectified with money savings enough to give the other half a fighting chance.

Yeah, this is without a doubt an admission of failure of the original plan, but 45 planes (my guess) and fewer cities is more rational than 87. It's more likely to work (although I won't say it is likely to work, just more so). 87 could have worked if it had been marketed brilliantly and ramped up slowly. But you can't fly HSV-TPA without advertising in either city.

I can't say what a pleasure it has been the last few months with Independence. For the first time in my five year career my passengers have been absolutely thrilled and delighted with their service, they smile and shake my hand when they get off and tell me what a great airline we have. I get more compliments in any given week under Indy then in a year under the big U. Even the jumpseaters have had lots more compliments, although they're schmoozing for a free ride :) I hope Indy succeeds not because of my own job (I've given it up for lost) but because it would be a triumph of the people who do good for their passengers over those who don't.

I'm trying to find a old college friend of mine that works for indy. Just trying to see of he is still with them or if this layoff affected him. He's in the CRJ. Please PM if you could be of help and I'll provide you his name.

I gotta say Kudos for Indy going your own way

because flying the 170 for the United side for chq IS HELL! Air Wisconsins baggage is a joke in ORD. Every ramper I met hates Air Wisc managment.

In IAD, even worse..I const hear Trans, Air Wisc complaining on ops 24/7

Jesus what an F'd up operation they have, no wonder yall broke away.

Cant wait for the 170s to fly for the delta side.

Anyways, like many others here, have friends at indy and are great friends who unfort are getting furloughed. some of my riddle diddle friends are lucky and will still be there. Hope your issues get resolved soon

Later Biaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch

I.P. Freley said:
I was wondering the same thing, and the answer is right there in the thread's first post.

What I don't understand is the statement that "pilots that are currently captains will be furloughed". The math on this one is fuzzy, but I'll try:

unless there's a reason that 5+year FO's were bypassed for upgrade and there are some very junior captains on that list.

Li'l help?

I know this makes me sound like a total smartass, but here goes. For those of us that were 4-5+ year FO's that didn't get CA. There were two events that maybe you heard of that really f$%ked up alot of upgrades for alot of guys.

1. Sept. 11
2. United filing ch. 11, hiring some screwed up outfit called Bain Consulting
to look at all our financials and tell us our FO's were 30+ percent overpaid
compared to "industry standard". Ironically, they also told us our flight
attendants were 14 percent overpaid. You believer that sh1t, someone who
doesn't even break 18,000 a year is over paid.

A quick thanks to all you guys and gals for your support in these tough times, esp those airlines who have offered to help by giving us interviews and hiring us. I don't regret one bit the direction our company chose to go and for that reason I can hold my chin up. There is more unity in this tiny regional sector than is given credit for and I just want to say thanks again. Believe it or not but we ARE all in this thing together...

Tailwinds,

RB
DOH 4/8/02
DOF 1/31/05

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back