• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

India is DESPERATE!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As I have said before I have nothing against a college degree, but it is not necessary to succeed in this business. The fallback value of a degree is greatly over rated. I have a BS and a Master's in Management, but at age 53, I was making $250/wk loading cargo. The value of an unused degree is highly over rated. 53-year-old unemployed airline pilots are not eagerly greeted in any industry that I know of, even of having a couple degrees. Of course, I did not apply for many of the "College degree preferred jobs" such as apt manager, telephone direct sales, and plumbing floor manager at Home Depot, etc. If you get a college degree you have to use, the knowledge gained in college to develop a career or the degree is useless. After getting a degree, flying an airplane is not a knowledge expanding experience; it is skill development experience. Anyone care to chime in and share their experiences on entering the non-aviation job market after being out of college 20-30 years?

As I have said before I have nothing against a college degree, but it is not necessary to succeed in this business. The fallback value of a degree is greatly over rated. I have a BS and a Master's in Management, but at age 53, I was making $250/wk loading cargo. The value of an unused degree is highly over rated. 53-year-old unemployed airline pilots are not eagerly greeted in any industry that I know of, even of having a couple degrees. Of course, I did not apply for many of the "College degree preferred jobs" such as apt manager, telephone direct sales, and plumbing floor manager at Home Depot, etc. If you get a college degree you have to use, the knowledge gained in college to develop a career or the degree is useless. After getting a degree, flying an airplane is not a knowledge expanding experience; it is skill development experience. Anyone care to chime in and share their experiences on entering the non-aviation job market after being out of college 20-30 years?

The bottom line is on paper most hiring managers are going to respect the individual with a 4 year degree. Without one you gonna have to make up quite a lot in life experience and charisma if you get called in for an interview. I have numerous friends that have made career changes completely unrelated to their degree and found employers far more receptive then high school friends who never finished there BA.

I'm not going to get into the semantics of why a college education is vital and important in today's world. The statistics take care of that just fine. Recommending anyone go into this business full speed ahead even if it means forsaking a degree is extraordinarily poor advice.

atp cliff...where did you get that news from....I was in India in Aug....cool place to be. It is pretty accurate...I didn't know that they needed that many pilots in 3 yrs though. I have an A320 type, but only 1000hrs TT. Trying to get a bus flying gig there...I saw a whole buch of Indian kids here at a San Diego flight school...they will be getting their commercial pilot Lic....and even before the ink dries on it they will have jobs flying right seat on a big jet....unbelievable....what's the airline industry coming to....

Actually, the Indian airline industry kinda sounds a lot like ours here in the USA back in the 60's when guys where getting hired into jets at majors with just a commercial..............supply and demand.

Actually, the Indian airline industry kinda sounds a lot like ours here in the USA back in the 60's when guys where getting hired into jets at majors with just a commercial..............supply and demand.

Believe it or not TWA hired guys with zero time back then.
Mach8

Pretty much crap for anyone with any real experience.

If you are low-time, it might be a good option. Otherwise, not so much.

Go over to www.pprune.com and do a search. There's pages and pages on all the different companies hiring over there right now.

Choose carefully, however. Once into ex-pat flying, it's very hard to get back stateside into anything equivalent, and the contracts over there are seldom long-term, except for the notable Cathay-type operators.

Your information is bad. We have lost 15 possibly as many as 70 777 captains who were hired by Jet Airways as 777-300 captains. Pay is 240K can be based anywhere in Europe with positive space passes to and from with good time off etc.

Possible US bases soon.

You, sir, are VERY, VERY lucky, and I don't think you realize HOW lucky you are.

I also did the same things you did, although I also have the 4-year degree, but in reverse order, and just last year got hired on at AirTran after 15 years in aviation (not including training, that's just working after college).

Most years I averaged about $50,000. NOT an impressive salary in ANY professional industry.

Maybe you should look around and realize MOST of us don't get the golden road as you have, despite how hard we try to get ahead. Yes, I said golden road.

You chose certain employment options when others might not have. NO ONE knows how they're going to work out, but you do your research and make your best bet and HOPE it's the right thing. In some cases, it works beautifully. In other cases, it doesn't.

I'm not saying you didn't work hard to get where you are, but LUCK is more at work here than anything else.

So good for you. But to tell other people they're not trying hard enough is assumptive and arrogant.
i never said people don't try hard enough and i certainly don't consider myself lucky. i sepnt 3 years as a cfi makeing nothing, i flew jumpers for 5 bucks a load and the first regional i worked for paid 14,000 a year. so don't tell me im arogant. it took 13 uears to get to where i am at and it is only because i knew what i wanted. i knew i needed pic jet when i was at pdt and all the rgionals were getting rj's, i was just smart enough not by a car, house, boat etc and shack up with a FA while at a regional. I am no diff. then anybody here. evrybody complains about low pay crappy working conditions etc. at the regionals, the regionals are there for one thing and one thing only to give you experiance to move on. when i was at pdt we tried to fight, i picked up no ot, did nothing extra and it still didn't help so i realized what role the regional airline plays and just delat with it. Its not that hard trust me. everyone i started with got a job ata major, legacy, whatever you wan't to call it. If you wan't it baddly it will happen. if you complain about it you will get noware nothing.

Does it look like you will be able to get a 320 gig or not? How were you recieved?

Hopefully I'll be able to get a bus flying gig there....I was received well...they like to see people with experience as most of the Indian kids only have 250 hrs and a wet comm lic and as soon as they are put into the sim on the 320/73, they can't pass training....coz it's too complex for them...from a C-152 to a 73...where do you work right now...I see you have a bus type.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back