• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

India is DESPERATE!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For one example of a guy 'getting ahead' by skipping the four year, I'll give you 20 who are at best languishing at some regional cause they don't have one. Besides not having the four year in place for a back-up in this industry, especially in light of this last downturn, is just plain idiotic...

I agree with this too!

).

Most years I averaged about $50,000. NOT an impressive salary in ANY professional industry.

Maybe that's becuase we are considered skilled labor, NOT profesionals.

Considered by whom? The DOT?

I consider myself a consummate professional, and I don't need an agency to voice their opinion regarding it one way or the other to know what I am.

Incidentally, I agree that the PERCEPTION of management, politicians, and the NMB is inline with your statement. Just simply don't agree with that assessment.

Hi!

I go the info off of the AvWeb weekly, I believe (it was one of the aviation weekly's I get, for sure).

My great-grandmother, grandmother, aunt, aunt and sister travelled to India excessively. 1 of the aunts lived in Nepal and Thailand also. They loved India.

I read a post of a guy on flightinfo who got a job there and loves it.

I do realize it's not for everyone. If you have to wake up everymorning to Fox News, I can see whow India/anywhere foreign would be terrible.

We will go if I can find the right situation.

cliff
YIP

PS-I started on pprune.org about 4 years ago. There's no reason why flightinfo can't have a thread here. Most of the guys here don't know about the Asia explosion and have never heard of pprune.

I have worked and flown in India before, when I was there it seemed trying at times, and it is, but after doing some flying in west Africa, India seemed like a little bit of heaven in comparison.

If you get a break on a regular basis, that will make it a lot easier. After 5 months I was about to go crazy, but after I was back for 2 weeks and then asked to go back again for a short bit, it was fine.

Some of the jobs I have seen posted maybe have 6 week on, 2 off , and that is more liveable.

I consider myself a consummate professional, and I don't need an agency to voice their opinion regarding it one way or the other to know what I am.

Incidentally, I agree that the PERCEPTION of management, politicians, and the NMB is inline with your statement. Just simply don't agree with that assessment.

consummate professional huh! I guess you are LUCKY because skill has nothing to do with it right

I'm glad that you consider yourself that. I hope that you act in a professional manner while on the job...I try to. But, it doesn't matter. "Airline Pilot" is not classified as a professional. It is skilled labor, period. What other "profession" dcan you think of that is represented by a blue collar type union. Consider yourslef a professional if you want, your job classification does bot make you one, though. I do the same thing as you, by the way, and I am a professional-acting skilled laborer.

Lear70 is right. The aviation job market today is 100000% about who you know. Period. You can have the most fantastic qualifications in the world and you will still lose your slot at CAL to the 2000 hour BE-1900 F/O that knows the chief pilot's nephew. Same thing with corporate jobs unless you have a type rating and are sim current in their type. Without contacts, forget it.....your quals don't matter, because there are too many guys out there that DO know somebody.

It sucks that things have gotten to be that way, but that's the way the market is at this point in time. There are thousands of high-time pilots out there looking for jobs, and the only ones that stand out are people that get internal recommendations. Kudos to SWA for doing what they can to try to eliminate the 'buddy' system, but in the end, at the decision board, internal recs make or break you from what I understand.

But most of the good jobs out there, if you don't know somebody, forget it. CAL, FDX, UPS, DAL....IMPOSSIBLE without a sponsor from within the company. NJA, CS, near impossible unless you get amazingly lucky.

Last edited:
I'm glad that you consider yourself that. I hope that you act in a professional manner while on the job...I try to. But, it doesn't matter. "Airline Pilot" is not classified as a professional. It is skilled labor, period. What other "profession" dcan you think of that is represented by a blue collar type union. Consider yourslef a professional if you want, your job classification does bot make you one, though. I do the same thing as you, by the way, and I am a professional-acting skilled laborer.
I understand your resignation to DOT classification, I really do, and I believe it's part of the multiple reasons why we will NEVER be as well-compensated as this industry was in the past.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "You get what you negotiate"?

If people see themselves as blue collar skilled workers, similar to Electricians, Computer programmers, etc, then YOU'RE GOING TO GET PAID LIKE ONE.

However, if you see yourself as a PROFESSIONAL, you're going to demand compensation equivalent to that title and responsibility.

This is one of the core issues we, as pilots, have. We keep LETTING the government and our employers whittle down our expectations, because we're nothing but replaceable skilled labor, right?

Before long, if people keep buying into this mentality, we'll be lucky just to keep up with inflation in our salaries, much less get BACK to where they were in the 60's, 70's, and 80's in equivalent dollars.

So, I don't give a fu*k WHAT the DOT says I am. I know what I am. I know what I'm worth. And I demand that my compensation reflect it. Period.

If everyone else thought and worked this way, we'd be a long way towards making this career desirable again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back