• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

India is DESPERATE!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is getting out of hand. how do we work for nothing. I do not have a college degree and managed to work for a 121 regional for 65-70 g's as a capt. on a dash 8. Then i went to a fractional and upgraded in 1 year and make 91 g's and now after 10 years in aviation ( about the time it takes to finish medical school and residency) i got hired at SW, still no degree. I get to look forward to 15 days off everymonth and a kick a$$ compensation package. If i had stayed at the fractional i would have 14 days off every month and 2 blocks of 3 weeks off for vacation every year. don't tell me this industry sucks. Just don't get stuck at a commuter because you are lazy and everything works out. I could not have asked for a better career track.
Dude,
He was probably comparing the industry to pre-9/11. We, FDX/SWA/UPS are on the top of the world now because of default only. You probably don't remember, but few wanted to work at the above three before 9/11. Compare our contracts to the Delta/United contracts of old it is clear the industry took a down turn. If 9/11 hadn't occurred, all the majors, not just the two above, would probably have had much better contracts than the ones we enjoy now. You work a lot more for a lot less than what a Delta guy would have been working if the industry didn't melt down.
cheers

You, sir, are VERY, VERY lucky, and I don't think you realize HOW lucky you are.

Maybe you should look around and realize MOST of us don't get the golden road as you have, despite how hard we try to get ahead. Yes, I said golden road.

LUCK is more at work here than anything else.

*shaking head* Unbelievable.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity, and I must be prepared to MAKE MY OWN LUCK - Raymond Barry

Believe it or not, you do have control over the direction of your career and life my friend. If you stand there waiting for things to happen, nothing will happen.

AZT

Dude,
He was probably comparing the industry to pre-9/11. We, FDX/SWA/UPS are on the top of the world now because of default only. You probably don't remember, but few wanted to work at the above three before 9/11.
I did. :)

My first app to FDX was in early 2000, I was on the 727 at the time.

Those pesky internal recs... ;)

Believe it or not, you do have control over the direction of your career and life my friend. If you stand there waiting for things to happen, nothing will happen.

AZT
So another person that thinks just because someone doesn't get their dream job early in their career, that it's because of a lack of action?

Hmmm... last I checked, I wasn't guaranteed an interview wherever I wanted to go.

With my flight time, qualifications, experience, and lack of closet skeletons, by YOUR reasoning I should have gotten on WHEREVER I wanted, right?

:rolleyes:

Luck and who you know. That's it. There's 7,000 qualified applications on file with all the majors hiring right now. About 5% of those per year will get hired. You do the math.

What kind of pay and benefits do these airlines offer? Do they offer domiciles outside of India? Equipment? Upgrades?
Pretty much crap for anyone with any real experience.

If you are low-time, it might be a good option. Otherwise, not so much.

Go over to www.pprune.com and do a search. There's pages and pages on all the different companies hiring over there right now.

Choose carefully, however. Once into ex-pat flying, it's very hard to get back stateside into anything equivalent, and the contracts over there are seldom long-term, except for the notable Cathay-type operators.

Notice no college degree, he got a head start on those who went to college, maybe that is why he has the career track he posted.

This is getting out of hand. how do we work for nothing. I do not have a college degree and managed to work for a 121 regional for 65-70 g's as a capt. on a dash 8. Then i went to a fractional and upgraded in 1 year and make 91 g's and now after 10 years in aviation ( about the time it takes to finish medical school and residency) i got hired at SW, still no degree. I get to look forward to 15 days off everymonth and a kick a$$ compensation package. If i had stayed at the fractional i would have 14 days off every month and 2 blocks of 3 weeks off for vacation every year. don't tell me this industry sucks. Just don't get stuck at a commuter because you are lazy and everything works out. I could not have asked for a better career track.
Good for you! Thats not the landscape across this industry. Look beyond your picket fence cowboy!
Mach8

It is easy to have good luck for 10 years. But, its a lot harder to have good luck for 30-45 years (i.e., the length of an airline career). This career is like a mine field and few make it unscathed to the other side without a major career event (i.e., loss of medical, long furlough, bankruptcy, liquidation, etc) . Although there are some that will make it and will think they must have deserved their divine career path.

Now that legacies are paying much less than SWA and have profitable international route networks, it will be a tough industry for any LCC to compete.

Notice no college degree, he got a head start on those who went to college, maybe that is why he has the career track he posted.

For one example of a guy 'getting ahead' by skipping the four year, I'll give you 20 who are at best languishing at some regional cause they don't have one. Besides not having the four year in place for a back-up in this industry, especially in light of this last downturn, is just plain idiotic...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back