Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Impressions of ASA's training/standards dept.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like the new hire FOs assigned to the ATR who went to Scott Hall and told him they "didn't get hired to fly a turboprop, because they're jet pilots" and demanded to be placed on the jet?

That's exactly what I was thinking of. Well, that and the guy who during IOE wouldn't say "Acey XXX" on the radio but would only use the flight number. After reminding him about it for the umteenth time the Captain turned to see the newbie sticking his tongue out at him. All I can picture is the Captain grabbing his tongue, pulling as hard as he can, then allowing it to snap back and roll up in his mouth just like I used to see in the cartoons.

The negative is getting done IOE.
After a very positive experience from the first day of indoc to the last of OE, getting b!tch slapped by the day-to-day reality of ASA.

Still better than a real job, but going downhill.

ASA Training dept is great, gets you ready for the majors(since now they don't teach you systems, they just give out a CD for you to learn on your own) Instructors at ASA are great minus the few who have nicknames and that is why they are still there!!!! but every airline has those ego guys. Once saw two guys laughing coming out of a sim after one of them busted a guy on a PC. Gotta love ASA sometimes.

The negative is getting done IOE.
After a very positive experience from the first day of indoc to the last of OE, getting b!tch slapped by the day-to-day reality of ASA.

Still better than a real job, but going downhill.

The best comment so far, by far. Life was better when I was in training than know that I'm out on the line being b!tch slapped by crew scheduling on a daily basis.

BI, through systems, through the sims, through the aircraft checkout, through IOE, was all excellent. If anything, I thought that my oral exam for the sim ride was more difficult than I thought it would be, but looking back, I wouldn't have changed a thing in the way I was trained.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. Well, that and the guy who during IOE wouldn't say "Acey XXX" on the radio but would only use the flight number. After reminding him about it for the umteenth time the Captain turned to see the newbie sticking his tongue out at him. All I can picture is the Captain grabbing his tongue, pulling as hard as he can, then allowing it to snap back and roll up in his mouth just like I used to see in the cartoons.

That's a joke, right? Please?

I obviously didn't witness it, but that was just one of many stories we heard about the newbies in recurrent.

The ATR training department should be the example for all. Best Dudes at the company are in that dept.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back