Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Impressions of ASA's training/standards dept.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are the new guys coming in with attitudes?

When I was there it wasn't uncommon to fly with a low time newhire who was hanging on to the jet for dear life, but for the most part, they had really good attitudes.

Has that changed?

Randy Cash is an idiot.

I also disagree. RC is an excellent IP. Had him for a sim or two and his skill at putting one at ease and explaining material is superb. Perhaps you had a bad experience with him but most haven't.

Hoser

Randy Cash is an idiot.

For you to say that about this particular IP just absolutely KILLED any credibility you will EVER have. Every "experienced" pilot who's ever had the opportunity to work with him knows that he's absolutely top notch. If you had a problem with him, I think pretty much everyone knows who had the problems

R.C. is one of the best IPs we've got. Tons of experience at both ASA, and I believe Pan Am or Eastern. You learn a lot during one of his checkrides, and he does put you at ease. Don't go bashing one of the good guys; you must be either joking or you went to your checkride not having opened a book. Which was it?

Unfortunately, it's not a joke - it's absolutely true. Also true, the newbie that pulled out his Ipod after reaching cruise on his 3rd leg.
I had guys off IOE pull one out as we were descending through 14,000 feet into ATL because he was "bored." He also then got completely fascinated and terrified by the "Level 5 with extreeme precip just North of the airport!!!" on a beautiful clear day. Turned out he had the radar tilted so that he was picking up downtown ATL.

Yeah, they aint what they used to be when they came here from other regionals with 3,500 hours....

Are the new guys coming in with attitudes?

When I was there it wasn't uncommon to fly with a low time newhire who was hanging on to the jet for dear life, but for the most part, they had really good attitudes.

Has that changed?

99% have good attitudes. But there is always that 1%.

I had guys off IOE pull one out as we were descending through 14,000 feet into ATL because he was "bored." He also then got completely fascinated and terrified by the "Level 5 with extreeme precip just North of the airport!!!" on a beautiful clear day. Turned out he had the radar tilted so that he was picking up downtown ATL.

Yeah, they aint what they used to be when they came here from other regionals with 3,500 hours....

I had a captain do the same thing. Painted memphis at night, got vectors around the scary city and carried on. Not a cloud in the sky.

Only reason I recognized it was that I did it a time or two a few years earlier.

Latest resources

Back