• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If everyone hates their airline why not quit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ya, this place is therapy and entertainment. I hear I'm better about the bitching than many from Denver. I try not to do it at work too much, just on these boards. It's no fun sitting next to a whiner for 4 days.

S.

OI812 said:
ok here is a little history im 35 did 9 years infantry US army, first flight july 2001. start training at TSA IN feb
OI812, I mean no offense, but I have to ask you a question. It appears your first flight was at 31 years of age, and at 35 you will start at TSA. You will spend 3 to 5 years before upgrading, many variables involved in that, so you might be 40 before becoming captain. Then you spend 2 years getting the minimum PIC time needed to get to an airline where you can make some semblance of a living...maybe!! Most people who have the competitive qualifications will NOT be hired at the majors. There are far too few jobs at the majors now for everyone at the regionals who have the competitive mins. Unlike 10 years ago when the regionals were maybe 10% of airline capacity, now they are maybe 30-40 and I feel will be 50% soon with all the 70 seaters and 100 seaters going to the regionals.

OK OK, my question is WHY!!!!! You will most likely be hard pressed to break 35K a year until you're 40, then a whopping 60 to 65 K as a captain where you will most likely be for the rest of your career. Again no offense, but I feel it's the drive from people like yourself who so badly want to fly a jet you will do so for so little it makes the career unviable for people like me.

Look, I was like you. I would give anything to be a pilot. Well it aint all that. You are treated like crap!! You are somebody to fill a seat, no more no less. Your employer does not care who fills the seat as long as it is filled and they will use every excuse in the book to keep you from earning a fair wage and flying a fair schedule. They will say look, we have thousands of wannabe's who will take your job for a fraction of what we pay you, so why should we give you a raise or more time off? They will pull out a resume to show you...oh look, it is from OI812, look, look, he will do your job for less, he is a good man!! And management will proceed to tell you to suck it up!! You get my point?

Oh and I hope you enjoy working for Hulia, he is a fine man. A scholar and a gentleman!:(

Last edited:
Beechnut said:
Ya, this place is therapy and entertainment. I hear I'm better about the bitching than many from Denver. I try not to do it at work too much, just on these boards. It's no fun sitting next to a whiner for 4 days.

S.

Nut,

Props to keeping it out of the cockpit. This board is a lot of fun. Especially when you get to piss so many people off all the time. Maybe we'll get to fly together sometime. Although we dissagree on many things (at least as posted here) I'm sure we'd have fun over a few beers. Keeping the cockpit fun though is important and I for one thank you for your attitude in this respect.

Beechnut said:
What the F* do I care what you did in the Army? If we're going to compare apples to oranges, let me tell you about my first 9 months in the womb without even a G**dang I-pod.

You sound like one of those guys that will take it in the A** for the company because you'll think "we'll jeez, at least I'm not getting shot at."

You have not spent ONE DAY on the line at an airline yet. You have NO idea what you are talking about.

S.

its sad you really have no idea what the world is like what are ya some 25 year old kid mom dad gave ya everything never really worked

i had a few of you in my squad fun times

pipejockey said:
OI812, I mean no offense, but I have to ask you a question. It appears your first flight was at 31 years of age, and at 35 you will start at TSA. You will spend 3 to 5 years before upgrading, many variables involved in that, so you might be 40 before becoming captain. Then you spend 2 years getting the minimum PIC time needed to get to an airline where you can make some semblance of a living...maybe!! Most people who have the competitive qualifications will NOT be hired at the majors. There are far too few jobs at the majors now for everyone at the regionals who have the competitive mins. Unlike 10 years ago when the regionals were maybe 10% of airline capacity, now they are maybe 30-40 and I feel will be 50% soon with all the 70 seaters and 100 seaters going to the regionals.

OK OK, my question is WHY!!!!! You will most likely be hard pressed to break 35K a year until you're 40, then a whopping 60 to 65 K as a captain where you will most likely be for the rest of your career. Again no offense, but I feel it's the drive from people like yourself who so badly want to fly a jet you will do so for so little it makes the career unviable for people like me.

Look, I was like you. I would give anything to be a pilot. Well it aint all that. You are treated like crap!! You are somebody to fill a seat, no more no less. Your employer does not care who fills the seat as long as it is filled and they will use every excuse in the book to keep you from earning a fair wage and flying a fair schedule. They will say look, we have thousands of wannabe's who will take your job for a fraction of what we pay you, so why should we give you a raise or more time off? They will pull out a resume to show you...oh look, it is from OI812, look, look, he will do your job for less, he is a good man!! And management will proceed to tell you to suck it up!! You get my point?

Oh and I hope you enjoy working for Hulia, he is a fine man. A scholar and a gentleman!:(

I agree im lucky to make anything by 40 but i like what i do that adds up

and no offense taken but why should me doing what i like effect you im not willing to work for nothing and get screwed my original questions was if ya dont like it why do ya do it

OI812 said:
its sad you really have no idea what the world is like what are ya some 25 year old kid mom dad gave ya everything never really worked

Yes, yes I am. What else you do you have? Flown a trip yet? No?

How you gonna feed a family on that first year TSA pay?

It's ON!

S!

OI812,

These guys just have fun pissing on people so ignore them. I for one thank you for serving our great country before persuing the career so many of us were fortunate (or unfortunate if you want to look at it from pipejockey's point of view) to begin right after college or high school. I was in the Air Force and I can tell you that everyone's idea of a bad day is relative to the life they've had. You will think this is the easiest cake walk of a job ever after the Army (and no doubt war). The real reason these guys who b!tch so much don't leave is because they enjoy it too much. Though they'll never admit it to you or anyone else!

Obviously, you do not know that management hates pilots. They make you know this fact day in and day out. Your looking from the outside in at something you don't truely understand; It's not your fault. Being an airline pilot is about coporate politics, gambling with your career, avoiding furloughs, dealing with managemnet, living in poverty, the list goes on and on. Flying is probably the smallest part of this career, and thats a lot to deal with in itself. I was once like you, and never understood why people being paid to fly would complain. However, if we could go to work and just do our jobs and get paid a decent wage that we deserve, there would be a lot less complaining.

So come on in new regional pilot, we have a shiny new jet for you to fly. The last guy was making $150000 to fly that many people, but I heard you'll take $17000, thank you. Oh don't forget to show your uniform to all the girls, make sure you tell them you make what the last guy made, $17000 is a little embarassing. You don't want to tell them the truth, that you make less than a Mcdonalds worker for flying an airplane, and you can only see them a few times a week. But look you have so much to offer, you are a pilot, that must count for something.

Oh and yes, thank you for you service OI812, sincerely.

Now you say you like what you do, get back to me in a few years. And Dirkk, you are right I do enjoy flying a 727 around the sky. Few can experience it, but I am seeing that in the post 9-11 era I will not be able to make a living in this profession. Taking care of my family and financial obligations are not being met. There was a future at the majors when I got started in this in the late 90's. It is now all gone! Unless you want to spend your career at the regionals, there is no future at the majors. I would venture to guess that only 10% of pilots who seek the majors will actually be hired there. And I cannot survive at regional pay scales.

OI812 said:

How many sentences is that? :erm:

Latest resources

Back