• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Idiotic Radio Calls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HOU App to Citrus 123: Citrus 123 say speed.

Citrus 123: 250 knots.

HOU App: SWA 2069 say speed.

SWA 2069: 250 knots.

Hou App: SWA 2069 slow to 210 knots. Your 250 knots is 40 knots faster than Citrus' 250 knots.

```````````````````````````````````

An oldie but a goodie:

Delta 767 heavy and C-172 both are holding short of the active, on opposing taxiways(facing eachother).

Tower: Which one of you boys want to go first?

C-172 in best 767 heavy voice: Let's let our little buddy go first.

Tower: Roger Cessna XXX cleared for takeoff, turn left heading 150.

Tower: Now, Delta 767 Heavy where are ya'll going today?

Delta 767 Heavy: Anywhere our little buddy is going!

Enjoy!

Not too long ago, a lear's nose gear collapsed on landing at PWK. Overheard:

"Tower, ###, our nose gear just collapsed, uh, could you get the fire trucks over here... just in case we need them!"

(Speaking in a slow, bored-sounding voice) "###, roger. Say parking."

(sounding angry) "Well, I'm just gonna park it right here if that's ok with you!"

Not on frequency, but.....

Pushing back in TYS. Maintenance jumpseater in cockpit who told us his main job is removing and replacing panels during maintenance checks. In other words, he doesn't know the aircraft systems too well. CA, FO, and jumpseater are all on headsets.

Female tug driver starts the pushback, not the smoothest ever.

Jumpseater: "Guess she hasn't been here very long, huh?"

Jumpseater didn't know that all four of us (3 in cockpit and tug driver) are on the same intercom during push.

Tug Driver: "No, I've been here for 2 years!"

Needless to say, CA and I educated the jumpseater about the intercom system!

Heard in BOS on departure:

ATC:
"Colgan 123, say airspeed"

Response:
"Uhhh, you mean indicated?"

Smartass on radio from other company:
"No, he means your Mach Number jackass."

Traffic Watch

Flying traffic watch five hours a day affords me plenty of time on approach control. In need of a fuel stop during mid-shift, I have just cleared the runway and holding short of the first of two parallel taxiways. SWA blows past me followed by a much slower AA jet on the other taxiway, oviously miffed that he will be number 2. American asks the controller if the SWA 737 intends to depart from the taxiway. Ground controller very coolly replies, "Which airline posted a profit last quarter?"

After a particuarly busy morning (low vis, low clgs, many helo's popping up from downtown Austin causing several traffic alerts of less than half mile, 12 O'clock, my altitude) I was flying some breakfast tacos in to KAUS for the controllers. Approach set me up number 3 behind a Falcon and then a Gulfstream to pass from behind shortly(I'm in a 152 mind you).

Switched to tower
[ Me ] Aus twr, Metro one visual 17L, number three, negative contact on the Gulfstream
[ Twr ] Metro one, he's passing you now. I guess that's what money will do for you.
[ GIV ] One day kid, you will grow up and be number two.
[ Me ] Perhaps, but I'm inbound with tacos
[ Twr ] Metro one, you are now cleared number one for 17L!

scoot

Champaign area

Due to crossing runways, if both runways are in use it is not uncommon to have a touch and go clearance turned into a cleared to land only clearance. A student and instructor were cleared to land only on one of the runways and as soon as conflicting traffic had cleared the other, they were told, "Cleared for takeoff, no need to acknowledge." Of course the student prompty replied, "Cleared for takeoff, no acknowledge....."

One day with not much going on:
Falcon XXXX: Champaign tower, Flightstar XXXX direct 32.
Tower (Controller supervisor named Steve): Flightstar XXXX, the runways have been renamed. You
are now cleared to land on Steve's runway.

We used to use one of the taxiways as a parallel to the main runway. We finally got a real parallel on the opposite side of the runway as the taxiway, therefore the runway designations changed. 32L, the 8100' runway, became 32R, and the new 3100' parallel became 32L. A confused Citation rolling out on 32L after landing was told: Citation xxxx turn right on Runway four, cross the runway you were supposed to land on and contact ground point 8.

One afternoon about to head to the practice area
Me: Champaign ground, Arrow xxxx University ramp with....uhh....the information....I don't remember what it is...but we have it.
My friends in the airplanes on either side gave approving thumbs up.

Finally, upon landing
Tower: Arrow xxxxx turn left on Bravo, cross runway 14L and contact ground point 8.
Me(after crossing the runway and absent mindedly continuing to taxi): Ground Arrow xxxxx I'm almost back to the ramp, totally forgot to call you.
Ground: Okay (laughter in the background)
Other plane: smooth....

this really is the only post worth reading......such a refreshing time.....let's bring it back to the top........

We taxied out to the hold short line and were waiting for someone to land. My other pilot's buddy pulled up right next to us in a lear 45 - wingtip to wingtip.

us: Hey Bob
Bob: What?
us: That thing got a Hemi?

Dorks.

Heard on the Jumpseat going home...it was the very first week we had the CRJ700 in Atlanta.......

Atl Ground: Chandler 123 taxi runway 9L outer mike....delta on Lima will give way...

CAA123: Taxi 9L on Mike Chandler 123

Atl Ground: Delta 321 give way to the stretch RJ coming out of three then continue to ramp 1

Delta321: Roger give way to the RJ.....what's up Chandler?....are we HEAVY today?

(With out any delay whatsoever the captain then keys the mike)

CAA123: Not usually, but since we have your wife in the back....i guess we are today....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back