• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IBT agrees to allow vote for NJASAP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you're making this judgement based on what you read on FI, you are seriously ill-informed. Not your fault, since you don't have access to our union message boards, but wrong.

There are at least four separate threads going on our union message board right now discussing at great length customer service, what it really takes, and how we can improve upon it.

As for fatigue calls vs. customer service, aren't they one and the same? What favors are you doing for the client by flying when you're really tired? It's GREAT customer service to get them to their destination even when you're tired. It's just one more leg, right? I wonder if it'll be considered the same great service if we ball one up because a tired pilot made a critical mistake?

Not picking on you, RT. Just wondering if you really believe that calling in fatigued when you're tired is a bad thing.

I don't mind being picked on. Heaven knows I started a lot of stuff on this board. No flame intended here either but do you have any idea what we do in G land? I do understand your safety point. I replaced a Chief Pilot once that was so safe he never went anywhere. Is there not a balance or we would never get in on of these things.

I don't mind being picked on. Heaven knows I started a lot of stuff on this board. No flame intended here either but do you have any idea what we do in G land? I do understand your safety point. I replaced a Chief Pilot once that was so safe he never went anywhere. Is there not a balance or we would never get in on of these things.

LOL!! Oh so true! I haven't balled one up yet while sitting at home behind my computer screen.

Actually, I do have a pretty good idea what you do in G land. It's pretty much the same as what we do over here in lowercase 'g' land. Except you do more international. It's not as if fatigue calls come from every crew every day. I can tell you that personally, I can do three 14/10 days in a row before I'm going to need some extra rest. That can vary a bit, depending on the types of stressors I encounter during my days, but is a pretty good rule of thumb for me. But when I do need call fatigued, it's nice to know that I won't be questioned or face any disciplinary action. It would be unfortunate to inconvenience pax, but if I'm really that tired I wouldn't be doing them any favors flying them when tired.

We seem to be getting things done pretty well over here, even with fatigue calls. It really is just a tool to improve safety.

We seem to be getting things done pretty well over here, even with fatigue calls. It really is just a tool to improve safety.

No doubt and I don't mean to imply different. We just don't have to ability to be recovered that you guys do. Thats all. And my sole union education has been the contract,Lobby at HPN and FI. And someone really needs to publish "NJ Contract for Dummies" :confused::laugh:

Don't worry, when the integration begins, there are PLENTY of folks on the union message boards who are experts on the contract, it's interpretations, how to file a grievance, etc... (Look me up when you get there. You'll know who I am.)

No doubt and I don't mean to imply different. We just don't have to ability to be recovered that you guys do. Thats all. And my sole union education has been the contract,Lobby at HPN and FI. And someone really needs to publish "NJ Contract for Dummies" :confused::laugh:

Great point on the recovery aspect. I don't know what happens around the globe but I have bet lunch with guys at CS that when we land at a new airport to us that we will see a QS tail on the ramp. No matter how third world the airport seems on paper I have not lost a single bet yet. The size of the NJ operation across the United States is impressive. I can easily see recovering a trip within the US especially with the amount of full crews I bump into sitting stby in the FBO's. Everyones definition of fatigued is different. I can personally work until 3 am with no problem, but get me in the aircraft before 6am and I can be a zombie no matter how much rest I have had. (can't seem to fall asleep before 11pm no matter what) How do you handle a fatigue recovery in China, or Dubai? It may not be the right thing to do to fly while fatigued, but it can't be right to view the operation the same as it is across the US. Most pilots would apply common sense to gage how tired they feel and the impact of the operation but what about the 10 percent (we all have them) that simply don't care about the operation? I can easily see where RTRHD concerns are valid. Put certain crews in certain situations and back them up 100% and you may never see a single flight hour logged. Especially on brand new fleets, most pilots know new fleets roll out of the assembly line semi-haunted. The right crews with the right operational understanding and safety consciousness (not safety paranoia) can truly make the difference to an organization.

That is why you guys utilize a completely different set of schedulers than we do! Some days, our scheduling can be their own worst enemy! They seem to have a knack for stacking the cards in a way that they are sure to come crashing down. RTRHD, I would assume your schedulers are a little more attentive to how they build the "house of cards" per sey.

but what about the 10 percent (we all have them) that simply don't care about the operation?
Especially on brand new fleets, most pilots know new fleets roll out of the assembly line semi-haunted. The right crews with the right operational understanding and safety consciousness (not safety paranoia) can truly make the difference to an organization.

Exactly !!!

That is why you guys utilize a completely different set of schedulers than we do! Some days, our scheduling can be their own worst enemy! They seem to have a knack for stacking the cards in a way that they are sure to come crashing down. RTRHD, I would assume your schedulers are a little more attentive to how they build the "house of cards" per sey.

"O" we watch it come unzipped every now and then also. We just can get so out there and by ourself. All of there eggs are really in one basket.

....There are at least four separate threads going on our union message board right now discussing at great length customer service, what it really takes, and how we can improve upon it. ...

This was my thought exactly, especially since I had just been reading the NJASAP board. I follow the customer service posts because it's a very important project. I'm aware that the Union Training Committee has had some input into the Company discussions/plans and, like others, I'm waiting to see what develops. The joint committees are a great way for the pilotgroup to help make NJA a better place for everyone--from employees to owners.

Latest resources

Back