IBT agrees to allow vote for NJASAP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dr Pepper

I think this agreement is pretty amazing, if it goes off without any problems.
IBT will let the NJA pilots vote, internally, to decide whether they want NJASAP or IBT to represent. No NMB involvement. NJASAP will help support Fl Opt set up their own shop. Dues will be handled in a civil manner. The refund goes forward. IBT and NJASAP agree to work together when it is in the interest of both parties, I assume on national interests.

I hate paying all those dues for the dumb Teamsters MAgazine, but why is management so happy about this? Will they be able to bully us like AMR and the APA?

Didn't care for Hoffa's letter though. He should've apologized for Treichler and "The richest contract in history" now known as the POSTA.

If they lose us, it's their own fault. But, I'd sure like to be able to call up that Teamster muscle if we needed to.

Crawdaddy, the IBT must surely realize that they've already lost the NJ pilots with over 82% sending in cards stating that they want to be represented by NJASAP. The election will just make it official. Even if their campaign was able to draw a portion of the pilots back to their side, I just can't see 30% changing their mind. The NJ pilotgroup's success under 1108 was due to their own leadership and unity--not Teamster muscle. That said, the agreement does call for NJASAP and the IBT to work together on future endeavors. Considering that the Flt Ops pilot group will be 1108, we already have an ally for fractional issues. As a team they will be a strong voice for the industry.

The quick response to NJASAP's call to turn in cards and start an independence movement leaves management fully aware of the determination and unity of the NJ pilots. That makes them stronger than ever so I don't see any opening, not to mention reasons, for the Company to want to "bully" the pilots. History has already taught them that carrots work far better than sticks and that solutions/improvements are found in the joint committees that benefit all involved. My educated guess as to why management would be happy with the agreement is that they prefer the image of an in-house pilot group. So do the NJI pilots. There's also the business side of the deal to consider and savvy businessmen will have no problem seeing the advantage of an independent union, financially speaking. Congrats to all parties of the agreement! NJW

My educated guess as to why management would be happy with the agreement is that they prefer the image of an in-house pilot group. So do the NJI pilots.

Will I may not know as much as you do. I just work there (NJI). But I think it is pretty safe to say no one wanted to be part of a truckers/rampers union.

RT, my apologies. I certainly didn't mean to offend any of the NJI pilots. I, too, just felt that it was a safe thing to say based on my conversations here with NJI pilots that have told me an in-house union is more appealing than the Teamsters.

Now you guys can see why so many of my posts get lengthy. If I don't go out of my way to carefully state things very diplomatically I can ruffle feathers unintentionally....:( Actually, I was being considerate of the opinions of the NJI pilots that are likely to be merged with NJASAP.

Last edited:
RT, my apologies. I certainly didn't mean to offend any of the NJI pilots. I, too, just felt that it was a safe thing to say based on my conversations here with NJI pilots that have told me an in-house union is more appealing than the Teamsters.

Now you guys can see why so many of my posts get lengthy. If I don't go out of my way to carefully state things very diplomatically I can ruffle feathers unintentionally....:(

No apologies necessary,my feathers not ruffled. Out of our 300 everybody seems to have a different opinion. So I don't know I can't imagine 3000. We will see I guess. But as a wife you certainly have a dog in this race.

Thanks, RT....:) Think of government; the population elects representatives to speak for them. In the Union you do that, too, to make day to day operations more orderly and efficient. Voting on a contract gives you a voice in the rules you work under and the amount you're paid so that covers the basics. Participation in Union committees is encouraged and that offers pilots an avenue to help set the direction of the Union. I think you'll find that it's a very democratic process and that it's reassuring to know you have solid support behind you if needed.

http://njasap.com has lots of information that will give you insight into the leadership and their plans for the future. The more you learn now the easier it will be to share one house later. Just calling the NJA pilots step brothers now bodes well for a good relationship with them down the road, IMO. Kudos to you for having a positive attitude in spite of understandable concerns over something new. :) Regards, NJW

:p The basic outline perhaps. You'll be interested to learn that the NJA pilots set up programs-- like a training program for Stewards-- that the IBT copied. Active participation in the Union gives the pilots opportunities outside of flying for additional challenges and ways to use their other talents in productive, rewarding ways that benefit the entire group.

It makes perfect sense for the NJ pilots to go in-house because their understanding that they are the Union turned them into a strong, independent group that sets high standards and works hard to meet their goals. I'm thinking that the NJI pilots will fit right in. NJW

What are you unsure of, exactly? The work rules are all spelled out in the contract and there are Union Stewards trained to help and/or represent the pilots if interpretation is needed. A Steward is always on duty in CMH per the contract. The Company and the Union have found the SOD program helps things run smoother. While the pilotgroup is expected to understand the contract, the leadership and Stewards are contract experts always ready to answer any question and help pilots file a grievance if the contract is violated. IBB proved that the Company and the Union can work well together.

This is a big part of what really bothers me. I really like and care for our management. A big part of what we do is make things happen for the customer(legally). Why would I want to file a grievance against my buddies or Mr.RTS or Mr.WB. I like being here. I was lucky to be hired to work with such good people and I needed a job when I got here.

Latest resources

Back