I thought riding on airline could not get any worse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks

It seemed every time I saw reference to CASS, it involved jumpseating and cockpit access.

Didn't know there was a difference.

Hung

CASS relates to jumpseating because if you want to actually occupy the jumpseat (the one in the cockpit) you must be listed on the TSA CASS program to certify that you are a real live pilot who has passed the background checks.

So you need two things. 1. permission from the airline (via a jumpseat agreement usually) and, 2. CASS credentials to actually sit in the cockpit.

By the way, CASS stands for "Cockpit Acess Security System".

BeeDub, true enough. NJI already has a Part 121 training exemption so that we only have to do checkrides once a year and our other training cycle is just that: training. I wouldn't be surprised to see other parts of 121 creep into the operation.

You don't say.... ;) :D :p

CASS relates to jumpseating because if you want to actually occupy the jumpseat (the one in the cockpit) you must be listed on the TSA CASS program to certify that you are a real live pilot who has passed the background checks.

So you need two things. 1. permission from the airline (via a jumpseat agreement usually) and, 2. CASS credentials to actually sit in the cockpit.

By the way, CASS stands for "Cockpit Acess Security System".

fascinating stuff, you really are a super genius.

Yeah Gun, been hearing about those big planes for, oh, about 9 years now.....

BeeDub, true enough. NJI already has a Part 121 training exemption so that we only have to do checkrides once a year and our other training cycle is just that: training. I wouldn't be surprised to see other parts of 121 creep into the operation.

Hung, jumpseat agreements are between carriers. CASS is a TSA-run security system. Big difference.
We don't have any jumpseat agreements that I know of because we CAN'T reciprocate and that isn't the point of the exercise anyway.

:laugh: Holding a 121 certificate is not the same as training to the standards of one. If the carrier is not a Part 121 certificate holder, then you can't be in CASS. Get over it folks, not going to happen. You can't get an exemption to upgrade to 121. :laugh:

B19 Flyer said:
If the carrier is not a Part 121 certificate holder, then you can't be in CASS.

In post #253 of this very thread, an Airnet pilot said that they were indeed in CASS, but did not operate 121.

Who is wrong?

Last edited:
In post #253 of this very thread, an Airnet pilot said that they were indeed in CASS, but did not operate 121.

Who is wrong?

I posted the guidance out of the Inspector's handbook. If they are not 121, they are not in CASS according to the guidance.

I have a friend that flies for Kalitta, he is on the Lear 25 which is the 135 side of the company, and he is on the CASS system and commutes every other week to DTW. So I dont know why we can't?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back