• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I thought it was just a game...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Probably isn't anyone on this time of the day. Later in the evening usually between 6pm and 10pm eastern time is when most people are connected and there is more ATC available. If you go to http://avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/ and download the Servinfo software it will give you an overview of where ATC is online as well as show maps of where other traffic and such are.

Iv'e been using MS FS2004 for a few months now getting ready for a long-overdue BFR, and I have to tell you, this thing is addicting! Man, I feel like I could actually pass a IFR Recurrency at this point. Nothing beats being able to fly approach after approach after approach, not worrying about hourly rates, even setting up failures.
Iv'e set it up to do partial-panel NDB approches to minimums. Cool stuff.
Lately I have been finding historic "X Planes" and flying them. My favorite is flying the X-15. I start out at Hidden Hills (near LAS) at FL45 and 500 knts, kick in the rocket, and 3 minutes and Mach 4.7 later, I am setting up for landing at Edwards. Whooo eee.... 300 knts on final, flair at 200 knts, touchdown at 135. Great stuff.

mattpilot said:
Unless you are on a IFR approach, the AIM advises against straight ins.

Then again, there is no regulation - other than 91.13 careless/reckless operation which you will be charged with should you operate contrary to the AIM's procedures and cause an accident/incident.
Just remember straight-in's are perfectly legal, and according to 91.113 aircraft on final have the right-of-way.
http://www.ntsb.gov/alj/O_n_O/docs/aviation/4236.PDF

The best thing to do when in doubt give way, be friendly, and most importantly see and avoid.

I've personally only tried the demo (7 min limit or something). I was impressed with the Aerodynamics engine, but i didn't like the controls of the game. I prefer the 3D cockpit from FS2004.

But they say x-plane is the best flight sim out there. If someone has it, i'd like your opinion on it please.

What "some" say----------------is all market hype! X-Plane & Microsoft's flight models arrive at their conclusions by different methods, but some excellent flight dynamic models from third parties , are always being created for MS FS2004. You can get good, bad, and in between with both sims. X-Planes FAA certification is only in conjunction with a motion based sim platform. I own both, and prefer FS2004.

As to both sims, many might be surprised by just how many private, commercial, and military pilots there are, that use these PC based simulations.

UnAnswerd said:
That's pretty sweet. I just flew another one tonight. Total distance about 46NM. All I did was fly the course and note some lakes and another airport along the route. In the end, all I had to do was make a very shallow right turn and I made a straight-in final approach to land. I wonder if it would have really been that easy in a real airplane???????????????

No.

It would have been easier. I have the CH yoke/pedals and I can't land my way out of a wet paper bag with the d@mn things when the weather's set on clear and calm. Flying IFR procedures/certain aerobatics with it is pretty cool though.

MFR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back