I thought it was just a game...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
It's also a good tool when you go to do your first x-country, especially your solo one, you can fly it before hand and make sure all your calculations and courses are correct!

That's pretty sweet. I just flew another one tonight. Total distance about 46NM. All I did was fly the course and note some lakes and another airport along the route. In the end, all I had to do was make a very shallow right turn and I made a straight-in final approach to land. I wonder if it would have really been that easy in a real airplane???????????????

UnAnswerd said:
That's pretty sweet. I just flew another one tonight. Total distance about 46NM. All I did was fly the course and note some lakes and another airport along the route. In the end, all I had to do was make a very shallow right turn and I made a straight-in final approach to land. I wonder if it would have really been that easy in a real airplane???????????????

Just remember next time to enter the VFR downwind pattern on a 45. :D

DoinTime said:

45's are overrated.... straight ins all the way baby! :D

Just announce you are on the ILS and they'll all get out of the way. If they question you by saying there is no ILS on this airport, tell them the 'force' is with you ;)

DoinTime said:

Since its been brought up, would anyone say it's acceptable to make straight-in approaches at uncontolled airports if you anounce you possition on the CTAF about 10 miles out, and again as you get closer in??? Of course, if there's no unicom, you should probably overfly the field to check the wind dirrection....

UnAnswerd said:
Since its been brought up, would anyone say it's acceptable to make straight-in approaches at uncontolled airports if you anounce you possition on the CTAF about 10 miles out, and again as you get closer in??? Of course, if there's no unicom, you should probably overfly the field to check the wind dirrection....

Unless you are on a IFR approach, the AIM advises against straight ins.

Then again, there is no regulation - other than 91.13 careless/reckless operation which you will be charged with should you operate contrary to the AIM's procedures and cause an accident/incident.

Before my ATP ride, our POI had given me the flight scenario, so I flew it over and over on MSFS. It helped a lot in giving me the mental image of what I'd be doing with him, even though it was in a King Air.

I'll second skyboy's recommendation of www.vatsim.net Been flying/ATC'ing on there for almost 10 years now. Great way to practice radio comms without the pressure. Can't beat the price either...FREE!

TRB

E46_guy said:
I'll second skyboy's recommendation of www.vatsim.net Been flying/ATC'ing on there for almost 10 years now. Great way to practice radio comms without the pressure. Can't beat the price either...FREE!

TRB

Do you need high speed internet to use that with or will 56k work?

QuasarZ said:
Do you need high speed internet to use that with or will 56k work?
It doesn't require much bandwidth. I used it with 56k for years with no problems.

I use FS2004 for practice all the time. Whenever I plan on flying X-country, I always fly it in FS first. (time compression helps).
Look into getting the yoke and rudder pedals if you do not already have them. I use the CH Products USB Yoke (it had levers for throttle, mixture, and prop on the base) and the CH Products USB pedals. Combined it is better than any of the PCATDs I have ever used. It was essential for Instrument.

Latest resources

Back