• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How was the ATL job fair?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Other than that, responding to this poster, who has a two-and-a-half year history of hurling insults and fleeing when confonted, is a waste of bandwidth.

Booby,
That's your opinion :)

You forgot to post the thread(s) when I confronted you about your crying about Age discrimination. Stop crying Booby and using the "age card".

If you perceive age discrimination, that's your right. I just think you're wrong.

Here again, utter bull$hit. I was hired there at age 38. I have a good buddy who at age 37 was in the most recent new hire class....1200/200, late career-changer, all CFI time.

Now how on Earth did he find this out for sure? Heard it through a friend of a friend? As a paralegal you should know that no employer in their right mind would ever admit to not hiring someone based on age.

Are these folks hurling insults too?

Maybe Booby I chose not to argue with you.

Hi!

When I was in training at Trans States, I met an older lady, who I assumed was a tourist?

She was 56 and she was a new hire-several classes ahead of me, at Trans States.

I could see how one interviewer would hire a specific person, and another would reject them due to age or some other factor as the interviewing experience is so random and depends on the personal judgements of the interviewer, in many cases.

I do know that previously Delta was rejecting anyone who didn't have 20-20 vision, which could have been a way to not hire older pilots.

Cliff
YIP

PCL_128 said:
I just figured as a paralegal you would know that discriminating against those over the age of 40 is illegal. No company would ever admit to age discrimination for fear of a huge lawsuit.

However,............you do not need to be either an attorney nor a paralegal to realize that many companies do NOT practice what they preach. Just because it says "we are an equal opportunity employer; we do not discriminate against age, race etc." on the application, doesn't necessarily mean they actually do it! They are mandated by the federal government to place those words on all applications for employment. Also there are cases of reverse discrimination.
As bobby says, it is EXTREMELY difficult to prove but again, that in itself doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Think about it. Of course, in the majority of cases, they will not tell you or if they do, only verbally so then it becomes a he said, she said which would not hold up in any court. It's the easiest thing in the world to tell you did not measure up because of your sim eval, interview, appearance or whatever and leave it at that. It's called letting you down gently and is a common HR practice.
Yes, no company would ever blatantly admit to an illegal practice - you just have to be smarter than them and have a good lawyer ;) .
Trust me, I know because I have successfully sued....but that's another story!

b757driver said:
Yes, no company would ever blatantly admit to an illegal practice

But that's exactly my point! Bobby is claiming that they did, and I call BS. No HR department in their right mind would ever admit (verbally or otherwise) to not hiring someone based on age.

atpcliff said:
When I was in training at Trans States, I met an older lady, who I assumed was a tourist?

She was 56 and she was a new hire-several classes ahead of me, at Trans States.

I could see how one interviewer would hire a specific person, and another would reject them due to age or some other factor as the interviewing experience is so random and depends on the personal judgements of the interviewer, in many cases.
As do those of the pilot recruiters who review resumes and apps and judge books by their covers.
Here again, utter bull$hit. I was hired there at age 38.
Surely, Hugh, your military time didn't hurt.
I have a good buddy who at age 37 was in the most recent new hire class....1200/200, late career-changer, all CFI time.
Not over forty, however.

Ever hear of tokenism? Just because a few over-forty new pilot career changers are hired does not mean there is no age discrimination.

I'm through here.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
Ever hear of tokenism? Just because a few over-forty new pilot career changers are hired does not mean there is no age discrimination.

And just because you can find a few cases where over-40 pilots weren't hired doesn't mean there is age discrimination.

bobbysamd said:
As do those of the pilot recruiters who review resumes and apps and judge books by their covers.Surely, Hugh, your military time didn't hurt.Not over forty, however.

I'm through here.
Yeah, never mind all the dudes I know on the seniority list there who didn't have military time, who built their time CFI'ing, were career changers (attorneys, enlisted military, non-pilot officers...the whole gambit) etc. Bobby, you haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Here's a clue and a piece of advice for those seeking a job. In general terms, if you get an interview, the company views you as hireable or they wouldn't waste their time on you.

When you get an interview you are asked questions. There are basically two kinds of questions. Factual ones and situational ones. The factual ones are easy, the situational ones are as well....if you can show them a situation where you
A) screwed up and acknowledged it or acknowledge that different actions on your part could have changed the outcome of a situation.
b) that you took some sort of action in your life to change that situation.
c) that you can show an example of how a similar situation turned out better than the original situation by applying the action in reference b)
d) that you learned X, Y, and Z from the event.

Bobby has had multiple interview failures-in fact, nothing but failures. He BLAMES every one of them on someone else or some other external factor. When one does this, I assume they do this regularly when they don't achieve their goals, large or small. This assumtion leads me to believe that he probably did the same thing at every interview and therefore was NEVER hired. He has an excuse for every interview in which he was not hired. Not once has he ever reflected on poor performance other than "I asked the wrong question". Asking a fleet question is the safest of all of them. Face it, they didn't like you and didn't want to hire you. That's the bottom line. If you want to believe it's because of your age, then fine, but when you keep getting the heisman all the while many with the SAME DEMOGRAPHICS AND BACKROUND are getting hired, it ain't tokenism. But what if it is? why not hire you as a token?

Gentlemen and ladies looking for jobs. I submit an example of how NOT to get hired. Just read all of Bobby's posts and take his advice. Those aspiring to an airline job will be better off if he keeps his promise and is "Through" here.

Bobby how come no posts since 4-25-05? You have been checking in, but not posting?

Latest resources

Back