How To Pre-flight A Flops B.j.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Few More

When you find those nose scissors installed backwards, It probably means they were bent during the botched install. Also excessively loose or tight scissors.

Tube lights duck taped up in cabin.

Big Dents under the door from stair malfunction. Must be measured with a caliper.

Leaks in HYD Valves above the cargo door.

Nose strut bottoming or bouncing on taxi.

Clouding, Crazing on nav light covers.

Check the sealant around the NAV lights. MX will take a razor and cut the sealant around the cover when they replace a bulb. This way they do not have to reapply sealant and at a quick glance it looks like it is sealed properly. This is a no no and as we all know, it takes 24 hours for it to cure. Don't believe the BS about the new quick drying sealant.

Some others which may have already been metioned:

Fire cloth in the wheel wells
HYD fluid on the pressure switches (Do not have one pilot start an engine and have the other counting drips in the hell hole. They will ask!!!)
Door seal both inner and outer
Air stairs - look for loose pins
Sealant missing on leading edge of wings
All safety wire (make sure it is the correct wire)
Bonding straps
O2 Masks (make sure that the plunger inside the red clip springs back immediately after depressing it.)
Check the life jackets. (Make sure that they are up to date. They are required to be inspected every few years.)

I am sure I can think of more, but I can't think anymore tonight. Probably from filling out job applications all day!

preflights

don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but it is probably a gooooooood idea to check the main door handle when doing your safety brief. If it lifts up without pressing the red button your pretty much done. Wouldn't want a three year old yanking on that thing in flight, but it should be a necessary enroute check for every flight given to current CEO.

Insulation blanket

I was in MCO this week and the Maintenance guys are saying that the insulation blankets are becoming a big deal. The company is trying to tell pilots that the silver paint is not required and want to MDL it. No can do. The coating has to be there.:smash:

Door Pin Alignment Indicators

Don't forget that with the cabin door closed, the "Red" markings for the door pins must be "Completely Covered". This is listed in the AFM.

Fire Retardant Blanket MDL

I picked up a plane with the Fire Retardant Blankets MDLed. Called the mx row and was told that it was legit. Went up the ladder and asked a MX/QC supervisor to send us an email verifying the row opinion and was then told that the MDL was a mistake. I contacted the previous crew and advised them that an ASAP might be in order.

Welcome to scumbag 135.

Latest resources

Back