How to get hired

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
33K slave wages?

I believe we have the highest first year pay in the on-demand sector for DA-20 F/O's. That is $33K/yr on guar., alot of first year guys make into the $37K-$38K range their first year. We certainly have the highest training costs, Reimbursement of moving expenses for pilots who relocate to YIP. Employees mean alot to us, it is a tuff business to work in and we try to make it as good as possible, hard days off, no junior manning, for guys with the flight time fairly rapid upgrade, 2nd DA-20 Capt $48K/yr. We have a long line of poolies waiting for a class date. Including laid off major guys and military in addition to the 135 non-degreed guys coming up throught the ranks. ")0.. (or whatever, with 14 posts) learn something before you post, you will look smarter.

"Resume" "response"

350DRIVER said:
bobbysamd, seems like the "offer" has been brought to the table:D It does seem possible.....
I'm still waiting for the old man himself (the boss) to answer my query. There have been five or six posts since I brought it up, including his post above, and no response. Just like what I experienced fourteen years ago.

Could it be because I have a college degree and a paralegal certificate?

His pay is par for those with like experience - and willingness to carry a pager and live close to the airport. To answer that interview question, although I'd be taking a pay cut, no, money is not a problem, just as the $12K paid to first-year regional FOs fourteen years ago was similarly not a problem. Somehow, H.R. (always) has it in its head that older people are not willing to start a new job at the bottom of scale.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
TJ PIC will get you the job; the degree gets you the interview.
I'm still trying to figure out how one gets a job without interviewing first??? Because by reading what YIP himself wrote, you will not get an interview without a degree, hence no opportunity of a job offer... I guess he finally realized the importance of the degree in this career field.

Re: 33K slave wages?

pilotyip said:
")0.. (or whatever, with 14 posts) learn something before you post, you will look smarter.

AAAAAAH, but I don't care about whether I look smart or not. This here's an anonymous internet chat room. Duh

:)

Now I'm up to 15 posts, do that make me more smarter?

Re: "Resume" "response"

bobbysamd said:

Could it be because I have a college degree and a paralegal certificate?

You certainly sound like a trouble maker to me. No wonder you can't get hired, you might stand up for yourself.

:)

DA-20 Capt

The degree is only required at the select few in the air carrier industry that requrie a four year degree, and maybe the greater majority of the corp world. You can get the interview at most places without degree. I only changed my stance a the degree requirement to reflect the upper end of hiring world.

I feel it is vital to have a college degree to fly airplanes. If you can graduate from college while spending huge amounts of time being drunk and chasing anything in a skirt, you can certainly handle being a pilot.

Those without degrees have to prove their "dexterity" in other ways like demonstrating the ability to fly marginal equipment in the middle of the night in Tornado Alley with no radar.

But does that demonstrate your worth better than being able to open a beer can with one hand(pull-tab, not pop-top--I'm old school!:p) while driving a stick in traffic on a beer run back to the Frat House?

Let the debate rage on! :D TC

AA717driver said:

But does that demonstrate your worth better than being able to open a beer can with one hand(pull-tab, not pop-top--I'm old school!:p) while driving a stick in traffic on a beer run back to the Frat House?

Let the debate rage on! :D TC

The CTC ability demo used to be the ability to climb the ILE beacon tower while liquored up. That was at least a little safer than driving while all liquored up. But not much, a drunk driver could always choose to pull over and sleep. Once up the tower, you had to get down.:D

enigma

Degree for "lower-end" positions

pilotyip said:
The degree is only required at the select few in the air carrier industry that requrie a four year degree, and maybe the greater majority of the corp world. You can get the interview at most places without degree. I only changed my stance a the degree requirement to reflect the upper end of hiring world.
I submit, Yip, that a person shorts himself/herself without a degree. There are plenty of lower-end jobs, such as instructing in university programs, for openers, in which a degree is required. The degree is still highly desired, if not required outright, at most of the majors.

Okay, Yip, I have 4565 hours and 1380 of multi and a type rating. Your FO requirements are 1200 total and 750 multi and your Captain requirements are 3000 total and 1500 multi. I realize I am 120 hours short of your multi requirements for Captain, but it appears I more than meet your FO requirements. Would you give a guy a chance with those quals? Yes, I have a B.S. and postgrad education for my paralegal certificate. A four-year degree was an entrance requirement for my paralegal school.

college degree OK

As posted before we have nothing against a college degree, we hire people all the time with degrees. In fact probably 75% of our hires have a degrees, they are common, anyone can get one, most people have them. The whole purpose of the thread is, if you want to be a pilot fly airplanes, the bigger the sooner to start your career. Quality TJ PIC by itself gets the job at all but the select few of the majors, which will not be hiring for the remainder of this decade. Fly build time, get your degee on the side. It is not about the degree, it is about flying airplanes for a living. We would interview you in a heartbeat with your time, and never even ask about the degree, or grade point, during the interview. Because they have nothing to do with flying an airplane. I have nothing against getting a degree. If someone wants to get a degree, get real one from a major university that leads to a good paying job. That person and country will be better off for the effort. If going to college is important for girls, parties, etc, go to college. But it has nothing to do with flying an airplane. The non-college path to the LLC level is a doable career path that can be pursued by those who find the college path is not their desired path.

Latest resources

Back