Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Posts = Total Time (soon)

enigma said:
Bobby, you're only 21 posts away from equaling your total time.
I knowwww . . . . .
Thanks for participating.
The pleasure is all mine, really. Sure wish it could count for currency, somehow, though Yip says non-currency isn't a show stopper . . . . but, as a practical matter, for someone like me compared to others in his pile, it probably would be.

What is a yoke?? :D

Currency

pilotyip said:
In 1996, I applied at AE and was not interviewed. I am not sure if my 452 Turbo prop PIC in the previous year disqualified me from the the right seat of a 340 . . . .
That's pretty stupid, given your overall background. I think we'd all agree that the big picture is frequently ignored. That's what gets me about pilot hiring - demonstrated inability among many in H.R. to think outside the box. Sometimes, not all the pegs are perfectly square, but with a little bit of planing they fit just fine.

Airtran

I must point out that the people who were hired at Airtran from USA Jet were (to the best of my knowledge) prior to 9/11 and the 500 hours req. at a 121 carrier. I had a friend at Airtran walk my resume into Jill Ndiffer within the last few months. I had about 4000 hours, 1100 PIC in the DA-20, and met all the other requirements.

Her response? Get 500 hours 121 time and call her back... It appears they don't look at the Falcon as 121 time, no matter where it is.

iaflyer

Not what Jill told me?

I will talk to Jill, because we discussed this at the last Air Think Conf. If it keeps you at USA Jet, then it is the right she changed her mind. (that is assuming you still are at USA Jet)

Hi Pilot YIP!

Eagle
Eagle didn't change their policy in the late '90s. They called me at home, after they got my resume, but when I told them I wasn't in a current flying job, they said I wasn't qualified.

AirTran 500 PIC 121
I would like to hear what Jill has to say. I know of at least one Falcon guy who thinks that his PIC time will count at AirTran, but I've been telling him they won't count it. If they will count USA Jet Falcon time as 121 (since it is a 121 airline) I will let him know.

Editing
I put the edited Falcon stuff above your mailbox when I was in YIP in between two trips. I will call U on Mon. to remind U to get that stuff-it's done.

Cliff
MCI

Re: Age discrimination

bobbysamd said:
I appreciate it, but it's not in the cards. I am "doomed" to work in the legal field until I retire. Things could be worse, though.

(At 53, I am also too old for TAB Express! :rolleyes: )

Luck plays a great deal in hiring, of course. But older career-changers face an uphill battle compared to those under thirty, and even those under thirty-five.

I appreciate it, as always. BBQ, at Brothers, will be on moi.

For the sake of discussion, I still hope that Yip will respond to my post above about how my quals, which greatly exceed his FO mins and are close enough for his Captain mins, stack up against his applicant pool.

Are there any airlines with programs like TAB Express here in the NYC area?

P-F-T

turpentyine said:
Are there any airlines with programs like TAB Express here in the NYC area?
The best answer to that question is you do not want to pay-for-training. Search other discussions on the topic to find out why.

what does that exactly mean though can you clarify for me please. because when you are taking flying lessons at the local fbo you are paying for flight training too arent you, so whats the difference then?

what does that exactly mean though can you clarify for me please. because when you are taking flying lessons at the local fbo you are paying for flight training too arent you, so whats the difference then?

The main difference is that you will not be able to get a job without the required licenses and ratings, thus you must pay a flight school for this training. People undercut this industry when they "whore" themselves out and "pay" to rent a right seat for X amount of hours at a Tab or Gulfjoke operation. It is not "required", is a shortcut, and allows these operations not to have to hire "qualified" guys with "real world experience" and pay them what they are worth. $8.00/hr to play with the gear and radios in a 1900 is nothing more than a slap in the face, especially after you just paid them more than $18,000 for that right seat.

be smart, bad choices have been known to come back and haunt more than a few.....

3 5 0

How did this morph into a P-F-T discussion?

turpentyine said:
Here's the difference: Initial flight training is an education and vocation issue. Unless you know someone wealthy and generous who will train you for your initial ratings for free, anyone embarking for this vocation must pay for initial training. "Initial training" means all ratings to equip you to enter the workforce at your chosen profession. Military pilots might not remit money for their flight training but they must commit to several years of military service.

Notice that I am not limiting it to aviation. Accountants have to earn their B.S. in B.A. English teachers have to earn their B.A. in English. Auto mechanics, etc. might attend some kind of trade school or vo-tech to receive knowledge and gain credentials for their fields. All of these folks, and notice again that I am not mentioning pilots, have to pay tuition, fees, room and board, and for their books.

"Pay-for-training" is strictly an employment issue. If, after completing your training and you are offered a job, and, as a condition of employment you must give the employer money to pay for your training with that employer, you are paying for training. This is not the same as paying your school to attend and receiving education.

Hope that helps. Once more, please run a board search on P-F-T for plenty of discussions on this issue, pro and con.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back