How to get hired

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey!

Hey this is a college degree vs TJ PIC thread, if you want to get into PFT start a new thread.

LOL I can hear Yip in the interview

"Yeah listen, we see you have a bachelors, a masters, and a Doctorate in Aviation Psychology. We are doing our best not to hold these degrees against you but it isn't easy. We prefer toothless high school drop outs who have never held a job or committed to anything for longer than 2 months. If you had 3000 hours before you were 23 you're hired even if you have a felony conviction for murder."

Yip cracks me up. Here are some facts Yip.

94% of all applicants hired at the majors on the last cycle had bachelors degrees or higher. It was 97% at the height of competition.

Breaking it down even further 100% of all applicants hired at Delta or United had bachelors degrees or higher because they REQUIRED a degree.

In other words you put yourself at an EXTREME disadvantage by not having a degree.

There's a great truth here. Don't ever take advice from someone unless they are actually in a position to give that advice. If Yip was in charge of hiring at a major airline and told you not to get a degree you could take that advice with some confidence of validity.

Since he works at a bottom of the barrel cargo carrier its real hard to take him too seriously.

Want to get hired by a major??

Get the degree to keep yourself competitive against the other applicants. Its totally irrelevant whether you need the degree to fly the airplane if you never get in the door because you don't have one.

Re: LOL I can hear Yip in the interview

nitrogen said:
"Yeah listen, we see you have a bachelors, a masters, and a Doctorate in Aviation Psychology. We are doing our best not to hold these degrees against you but it isn't easy. We prefer toothless high school drop outs who have never held a job or committed to anything for longer than 2 months. If you had 3000 hours before you were 23 you're hired even if you have a felony conviction for murder."
Now that, THAT is FUNNY!!!!! :D :p :D :p :D :p

Since he works at a bottom of the barrel cargo carrier its real hard to take him too seriously.

What makes you think that USA JET is a bottom of the barrel cargo operation? I shall patiently await your answer.. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.. The bottom line is that quite a few people have been hired in recent times at Air Tran, America West, Southwest, ATA, and many other carriers without a 4 year degree. Many more have been hired at the regional level without even a 2 year degree.

Breaking it down even further 100% of all applicants hired at Delta or United had bachelors degrees or higher because they REQUIRED a degree.

Ok??? and when was the last time UAL or DAL was hiring pilots? Kind of thought so....

3 5 0

Not true

UAL has hired non-degreed pilots with quality TJ PIC; I can PM you the names and dates if you are a non-believer. Delta I think as been pure since the mid-70. In fact, they had your degree limited to something like only 273 schools nationwide from which they accepted degrees. Lets face it almost everyone has a degree, they are easy to get, and therefore most people being hired have degrees. Check out these statistics, if 97% of the applicants applying at the majors have college degrees, it would follow that 97% of pilots hired would have college degrees. On the other side if only 3% of the pilots applying did not have degrees, and only made up 3% of those being hired. The chances of being hired would be the same.

Last edited:
I started flying heavy jets outta YIP (aka Dirt City) back in the eighties.... I remember old man Rosenbalm made it a point to let you know you were there because you couldn't get a job with the majors..(Too many DUI's, too old, too fat ,NO COLLEGE.) It was a fun job for me as a starry eyed kid, flying all over the world in a four engine jet. But even after all that jet time, A&P license, ATP, FE license, no "Major" would even interview me,because I didn't have a 4 year degree. The desire to work at a "Major" has long passed, but I'd still like to interview with one. In fact, I had my suit picked out at an upscale Men's store at the Sawgrass Mills mall in FLL. It was a light blue liesure suit with pinstripes, pink tie, white shoes with spats and I think it had a white hat I'd give two weeks pay to walk into my United interview with that getup.

PilotYip, prove you're a standup guy and offer Bobby an interview, right here on flightInfo....

Shots at USA Jet

Alot of guys take shots at USA Jet and the whole YIP cargo scene. However some have figured out it is not that bad of a place to work and we are attracting quality candidates. Profile last class 1- USAF (ret) A-10 driver, UAL lay off; 2 regional 121 Capts; and one YIP DA-20 freight dog. All had degrees except the YIP DA-20 guy, but he is still young.

Interview offer

freightdogfred said:
PilotYip, prove you're a standup guy and offer Bobby an interview, right here on flightInfo....
He addressed my query above, which I appreciated, and here's why:

1. He and I have gone at it for a year and a half on the degree issue. He knows that I have a B.S. in B.A. and advanced education in the form of my paralegal certificate. You need a B.S. or B.A. to get into most paralegal schools, or be studying for the degree concurrently.

2. He knows how old I am or read my profile, and my age apparently is not an issue. Based on my other aviation hiring experiences, that is refreshing. My specific question was how I would have stacked up against his other applicants.

As a practical matter, he really does have better-qualified applicants in his stack, simply by virtue that they're current and I am not. I haven't seen an airline app in ten years, but most ask about currency. So, obviously, it is an important hiring consideration, and rightfully so. Companies have a right to expect you to be current - and I'm not one who always comes out on the company's side. In this situation, fair is fair.

Latest resources

Back