• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to get hired

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
350, Always happy to help someone let off a little steam. Do you feel better now?

I was merely attempting to make a point that age really is not a factor if the person has a hard work ethic and strong desire to succeed. I agree with you about the college comparison, easier without a doubt but I do not think that what Yip is suggesting is close to being impossible to pull off at all.

3 5 0

350DRIVER said:
...age means what?
Quick history lesson: in 1966, Eastern was hiring 19-year-olds with three hundred hours. I think some majors were even doing ad initio training.

How times change...

No history lesson needed... I was well aware of what Eastern had done as well what UAL had done back in the day.

Times have changed, never disputed that.

3 5 0

ps>> put that adorable picture of your son back up, better than that airplane.:D :D

It can be done

I post the stories about 23 old TJ PIC, because I witness it on a regular basis in my end of the business. I then see these non-college grads with TJ PIC go on to jobs, the majors, (when they were hiring) the LLC's and the fractionals. Everyone of those jobs could mean a good career, except the majors with the all the layoff's. Here is how they do it. They get their Comm/Mel/Inst and they go everywhere in the country ADS, TOL, YIP, ELP, and find a 135 operator with jets or Turbo props requiring a SIC, who treats pilots like dirt, you know the $250 wk, no time off, no pre- deim. They show a willingness to work under those conditions until they get thier 1200 hours and 135 IFR PIC requirements and they then start shopping for the next job. Then they move up or stay put and make Captain. We happen to be one of the places they try to come to. Our minimums are 1200TT 750 MEL, and you would then need 3000TT 1500 MEL to bid for DA-20 Captain. They are normally single, alot come from Alaska, the wild west of flying. I guess the thing they have in common is a goal and the motivation to go where the job is, and put up almost anything to get the hours on their resume. It was ask how do these non-college grads get jobs at Spirit, AirTran, Netjets, I am just passing along what I have witnessed. This is not the track for everyone, but it is one that works and a viable option for those so inclinded. Thank you for your time.

Age discrimination thread drift

350DRIVER said:
Get off the "age" issue, means very little if anything. No one will be given a "free ride" due to age nor do the younger generation of pilots have it any easier than a 40yr old getting hired into the right seat of a regional jet.
(emphasis added)

My good friend, having been there, I hasten to disagree. That is a topic for other threads. In any event, it's still harder, if not impossible, to compete with younger people with like credentials.
Originally posted by pilotyip
Our minimums are 1200TT 750 MEL, and you would then need 3000TT 1500 MEL to bid for DA-20 Captain.
Look at my quals at the left, Yip. I was single and available (!) when I was current with those quals. I realize I am slightly light on the multi time for DA-20 captain. Would've you interviewed me? Inquiring minds want to know.

I suspect the answer will be "no." I applied for similar jobs years ago with my credentials being close to those times and heard nothing. There was a DC-3 operator in Ypsilanti that hired at somewhat low times. I applied to him with somewhat low times. I placed a followup call, which was returned. I returned that call, left a message, and got no further.

There is much more to it than having hours and determination.

bobbysamd,

my friend, I can understand where you are coming from on this issue since you have seen it happen to you but I tend to think that this is not the norm with regards to this issue. I have seen many pilots who were much older be successful in getting to the regional level, MAPD has taken many career changers in the late 30's and 40's and they have placed them in the RJ. Back in 97" Gary Lightfoot** who was in his early 40's at the time, very little flight time, etc, went through the program and he is now the asst. chief pilot at Freedom Airlines. I have seen many others in his exact same position (career changers) do the exact same thing at Mesa and at other regionals. I tend to think that "luck" has some leverage here but surely age shouldn't be a factor to stop someone from pursuing their dream. I would be willing to bet the farm that if you got current again, brushed up in the knowledge areas, etc, that you could be successful in making it to the regional or corporate level. I have not a doubt in my mind on this one. I would absolutely love to pursued and convince you to get back into this industry since you obviously have the love, desire, and drive to succeed, but I realize the likelihood of this happening is probably the same as McCain accepting the VP nomination from Kerry. It is extremely unfortunate in my opinion that you were not able to get to where you wanted to get to in this industry but it is not too late. It would be an absolute pleasure to share the flight deck with you and to hear your many stories.

I think that if you looked at the ages of new hires all across the board in recent times/classes that you would see that many older guys/gals have been hired.

Since I am sure I cannot talk you into making a second attempt at this industry I will settle for the knowledge, wisdom, experience, etc, that you bring to this board. Doesn't seem like a bad consolation prize.;) Next time in the Denver area the beer/BBQ is on me.

3 5 0
disclaimer.....
** I realize he was among the "original" group that crossed over and in no way, shape, or form do I support what he did, etc, to the good group of pilots at Mesa. I have/had no affiliation to Freedom or to him other than a few encounters with him out west.

hey pilotyip,

Everytime I respond to a thread you start, you send me a PM trying to further justify your position.

Please do not send me any more PMs. We can carry on our discussion here in this forum, not in private.

Classy, real classy... I guess I shouldn't expect much more though from you. I guess it wouldn't have made too much sense to send that message via a pm.

3 5 0

Seeming as I sent him a PM the FIRST time he did this, and he ignored my request, I chose to ask again. I figured if he ignored my request the first time, he must not read PMs. So, this way, he will get my message.

But thanks for making so many assumptions.

Latest resources

Back