Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Age discrimination

350DRIVER said:
I tend to think that "luck" has some leverage here but surely age shouldn't be a factor to stop someone from pursuing their dream. I would be willing to bet the farm that if you got current again, brushed up in the knowledge areas, etc, that you could be successful in making it to the regional or corporate level. I have not a doubt in my mind on this one.
I appreciate it, but it's not in the cards. I am "doomed" to work in the legal field until I retire. Things could be worse, though.

(At 53, I am also too old for TAB Express! :rolleyes: )

Luck plays a great deal in hiring, of course. But older career-changers face an uphill battle compared to those under thirty, and even those under thirty-five.

I appreciate it, as always. BBQ, at Brothers, will be on moi.

For the sake of discussion, I still hope that Yip will respond to my post above about how my quals, which greatly exceed his FO mins and are close enough for his Captain mins, stack up against his applicant pool.

Last edited:
bobbysamd,

7 years left at a regional then on to NJ or Options to finish up doesn't sound like too bad of a plan.:D Ok ok, not going to happen so I will settle for taking you up for a few hours one of these days..;)

Brothers BBQ sounds like a plan, it will be on me though as a token of my appreciation for all that you bring to this board. The place looks very good. I have not had any good BBQ as of late, surely wish I could get back to HOU or Norman OK more often, ahh those BBQ memories.:D Never forget that Ramada there....

3 5 0

Going flying and "getting" hired

350DRIVER said:
I will settle for taking you up for a few hours one of these days.
I'll help with fuel.

And I'm still curious if Yip would call me after viewing my "resume" at the left.

Last edited:
Yip,

I just have one question. You mention in this thread that these individuals with TJ PIC in a 135 outfit are getting interviews/jobs at Airtran. I thought they had a requirement of 500 hours at a 121 carrier. Did something change that I missed?

Kathy

I thought they had a requirement of 500 hours at a 121 carrier. Did something change that I missed?

I believe this was just recently put into place not too long ago. From the people that I know at AT they are have stated that this req't. is currently being looked at and it may be waved/lifted in the near future. I think this question has also been raised by numerous applicants during the AI job fairs and this also seems to be the information that they are getting. Will it be lifted? Only time shall tell but many pilots without previous 121 time have been hired in recent times at SWA, Frontier, ATA, AWA, and Jet Blue. Two former Flight Options guys are currently in ground school at Frontier.

Is it possible to get to a carrier of choice without the previous 121 time?, sure. I do not see any of the others following in the footsteps of AT.

3 5 0

Miami Air International is looking for pilots 2500TT with a little jet time. Great flying all over the world. 737-800 all Charter. 305-876-3650

Hi!

BobbySamd:

If U R possibly interested in USAJet, I would apply. If U have any questions, PM me and I'll fill U in. I also know U have a shot at Trans States. I met a lady who I thought was a grandma passenger. She was 57 and was a new hire at TSA! I give her a TON of credit!!!

Resume Writer:
USA Jet, where PilotYIP works, is a 121 carrier. Everything, training, etc. is 121 except that the Falcons (they have DC-9s and Falcons) are allowed to operate using -135 crew and duty times with a letter of exemption (this is the way I understand the current situation).

So, the -9 time is -121, and the Falcon time is ???121?135? I guess if U got the interview at AirTran out of the Falcon U and the interviewer could figure out if U met the qualifications.

It's interesting.

Cliff
LIT

PS-Either way U do it, get a 4 yr. degree or more. There are pros and cons to both sides. For example, it doesn't matter what U major in at Harvard or Yale, or what your gradepoint was. Coming out of there U know a ton of important people, and they will find a job 4 U!

Career change change (intentional)

atpcliff said:
If U R possibly interested in USAJet, I would apply. If U have any questions, PM me and I'll fill U in. I also know U have a shot at Trans States. I met a lady who I thought was a grandma passenger. She was 57 and was a new hire at TSA! I give her a TON of credit!!!
I really appreciate it, but my life has changed in the ten and-a-half years that I've been out and I cannot possibly go back. Moreover, as a practical matter, just getting current again would not be enough. I would have to be an employed pilot to garner any interest.

Yip was going on about the min quals at his company, which made me wonder how I would have fit in. I had mostly the same qualifications when I applied for jobs which had the same minimums as Yip's and never heard a word from them. It seems to me that I should have heard something, especially because I exceeded their minimum requirements a couple of times over.

I recall sending stuff once or twice to Trans States fourteen years ago, with no response. However, one of my Riddle colleagues who was easily fifteen years younger than me was hired there. So, if they weren't interested in me then, how would they be interested in me now.

YIP is management. It is to his advantage to encourage a class of workers who are willing to work for next to nothing. Yes, young pilots with no degrees and lots of time, do get hired at good jobs. They also set the bar at ground level for the rest of us who intend to make a long career out of aviation.

YIP is not trying to help people get jobs and save the money they would spend on education. He is trying to ensure a continual endentured servant worker class so as to keep his costs low.

:)

:) ,

I tend to think you are possibly living in some sort of far off fantasy world, far from the real world that most of us are used to if you truly believe that he is out to "not help" anyone but his current company/employer. Whether or not he is management or just a regular line captain does not really matter here, surely he is not getting any additional incentives, money, or perks by bringing people onboard at his company at less TT with no degree. His company has been used as a stepping stone for years for many and people see going there as a way to build up a substantial amount of jet time in a short given amount of time.

I tend to think that his opinions, experience, knowledge, etc, that he brings to this message board may just be beneficial to some who frequent this board that are looking to move up the ladder.

3 5 0

bobbysamd, seems like the "offer" has been brought to the table:D It does seem possible.....

Latest resources

Back