• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How is FAR 117 transition going

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
10 hours in the hotel sucks.....when your go home days 1st flight is now delayed 90 mins

Better 10 than 8. I've never been one of these "productivity" guys when it comes to layovers. What good are you to your family if you come home exhausted and out-of-shape;). Have a meal, 9hrs of sleep, a good workout, breakfast. That's about 13-14 hrs. The idea of anything less than that gives me the CBGB's.

Last edited:
The Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again. What a needlessly complicated, counterproductive, and ultimately ineffective regulation.

And a bunch of morons at my fractional are practically BEGGING the Fed to extend 117 to Part 91K and Part 135. They have NO IDEA. Be careful what you wish for...

Yes it would be terrible to have adequate rest rules. :rolleyes: We aren't paid hourly so we wouldn't be complaining for the same reasons.

What are the consequences, intended or unintended you foresee with implementation of these rules for Part 135/91K?

You have to self-certify when you check in for your day? Ours is an additional signature on the release, just prior to push.

Bubba

Both crewmembers have to send a special acars which acts as a digital signature certifying fit for duty, release acceptance, and fdp extensions.

Yes it would be terrible to have adequate rest rules. :rolleyes: We aren't paid hourly so we wouldn't be complaining for the same reasons.

What are the consequences, intended or unintended you foresee with implementation of these rules for Part 135/91K?

14 hours of duty and 10 rest for 135. How could it get simpler than that? Why change it? Tracking all of this is impossible without the help of an app or program, of which there are none that are credible to use right now. The FAA should provide a way for us to track it if they are to burden us with compliance.

It may get worse in February when the 117 rules require a look back to the previous month.

It's not a month look back, it's a rolling hourly window for duty and flight (28 days and 7 days....by the hour). The only thing that is a calander day is the 1,000 hours in a rolling year.

Basically what you fly this year until 01/04/2015 will roll with you and basically stay the same if you are flying the same average. This should be the same with the rolling hourly 28 days. There is no more calander month and 30/7 is totally gone.

While our rest rules are far from perfect, we're very lucky to have a no-fault fatigue policy. Call the ACP, utter the word, and you're done for a minimum of 14 hours.

That said, I'd like to see the following:

Absolute minimum is 10 hours off.

No rest period shorter than the preceding duty period, rounded up to the next hour ie: 11:15 duty, 12 off, 10:50 duty, 11 off, etc.

Cross more than 3 time zones, you get an additional hour per time zone crossed.

Minimum.

Simple. Easy to calculate. Easy to predict.

Remember, "no operator may assign and no pilot may accept" a non-compliant brief. Our scheduling is so jacked, they'll issue non-compliant briefs left and right and it will be on US to decipher the horrendously complicated time chart to prevent a violation.

Whose time zone are we using to calculate? The east coast PIC or the west coast SIC? CMH time? What about when we're international in Geneva? Or Singapore? Or Timbuktu? We're rarely there long enough to become "acclimated." What time do we use then to properly calculate the circadian limit on flight and duty time?

Don't even get me started on the 30 hours off every 7 days. You don't think the company would roll back on us for more duty days every year to make up the productivity loss?

And the disruption to the customer is potentially so dramatic as to drive them even further away from 91K/135 and back to owned Part 91. Because I doubt these rest rules would EVER be applied to straight 91.

Those are just some of the unintended consequences.

I can only hope that the 121 goat rope we're seeing on Part 117 implimentation will kill any effort to extend this abortion to 91K/135.

Said in the other thread- but you don't sound informed gut. Kind of an all passion, no brains approach

Latest resources

Back