• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How did you get to where you are now?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just got a job offer flying 1900's for 16 bucks an hour you don't even want to know what I said to this fellow. He's a good guy just trying to help me out i said thanks for the help, but I will be ok on my own.

Alimbo,

Hang in there man, and good on ya for doing your research. Flying may not be the career to have anymore, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just as good as anything else, with the added benefit of actually liking and being interested in what I do. In other words, it's still a good career to have. I'd do a couple small things differently if I could (hey, you learn as you go), but overall, I'm pretty pleased with how things have turned out so far.

Regarding whomever you are quoting in your signature line: We semi-routinely land in 30kts, 90 degrees off the runway centerline. It doesn't even raise my heart rate any more--it just is what it is, and you just deal with it. And as far as I am concerned 5000 RVR might as well be clear and a million. And maybe the $4 he got paid for his work helps to offset all the rest of the time he sat on his rear end staring at the autopilot or reading USAToday. I would call pilots a "whiney bunch," but I have my suspicions that there are other career fields that have a proportionate number of whiners.

Besides that, I wouldn't want to perpetuate the "pilots have it so hard" stereotype because we have to deal with so many whiners. Other people have to deal with whiners too.

-Goose
Ya I quoted it it because to do work like this which may be easy to most people would make other sweat bullets. An to think most get paid starvation wages is BS. But as long as we have people who think 16-20 bucks an hours is awesome money it will continue to happen.

Well just got back from the career fair boy was that fun. What I'm about to say contradicts my old way of thinking but I assure you these are my new viewpoints. The only airlines there that were hiring were Great Lakes and Gojet. Go figure both places I would never think twice about going to. Like I said I used to think I would work there until I realized how bad that would be. GoJet was really trying to sell me the Koolaid until I started asking questions. For instance what are the hiring mins? HR guys response Well.... 500TT 50Multi. My response How strict are you on the 50 multi? (HR) Very strict. (Me) So if I had like 45 would you consider me? (HR) Nope sorry man 50 bare minimum. (Me) So your saying you will throw someone with 500 hours though right into a jet as long as they have 50 multi min. (HR) Looks at his partner turns to me ya pretty much do you want an info packet? (Me) No thanks have a good day though. Me an my friend turn an walk away and tell him hey Chip at least we have a place to practice interviews at. Then comes GLA with a typical young F/O minus spikey hair/ipod, but the back pack is present. He was talking to some younger guys still in the commercial time building course about how awesome the place was to work for. The inexperienced kids mind you are eating it up thinking about how awesome it would be to work there until I ask the question; How much is 1st yr F/O pay? He replies 16.00 an hour. Then these 2 guys are like damn that much to fly a 1900 thats pretty sweet. I was like omg do they realize you don't work the typical 40 hours a week. this is 16 bucks an hr times monthly garuntee of somewhere between 80-100. O well what are you going to do. I know I'm still a noob to this industry but at least I think I have some sort of one up others my age. It's that mentality that drives this industry lower.

You talk talk talk like you know everything there is to know about all the airlines when all you really do is come up with some line of BS that you make up in your head and post on this to sound smart.... First off you have said on several other posts that you dont have your commercial multi... Correct? So how did you get offered a job flying 1900's last time I checked the 1900's I fly at lakes have two(2) engines on them... Next our monthly garuntee at Lakes is 75 HR a month not 80-100 ... Next your probably younger and less professional looking that the pilot rep who was there from Lakes. Three weeks ago you posted all over the Great Lakes pilot forum that you had made your decision and you were for sure trying to come to Lakes. Then you opened your mouth and brought out the ego and we got mad... Now that you were kicked off that page your here talking smack again. The only difference is non of these guys on here have had any experience with the kind of crap you produce.... Dude just for once be true to yourself and stop with the smack talking and know it all attitudes because to those who do have the correct information we do not appreciate it. Every one in this industry takes a different road to get there no one road is better or worse than the next. If your truly happy with what your doing, you've succeeded. Just please stop with all your negative attitudes and comments about just about every regional, or do us all a favor and choose a different profession....

ALIMBO- GoJet didn't have an HR guy at the career fair, TSA did to hire mechanics, GoJet sent their chief pilot. They are really strict about their minimums right now because of all of the former ATA, Champion, and furloughed United, American, Midwest pilots etc. that are applying for the same job you will be when you have your commercial multi and meet the applicable minimums. Some of the 100 pilots they hire in the next year will be lower experienced people that will sit in the right seat for awhile but it will be more competitive than it was in the recent past. A strong sense of entitlement and a know-it-all attitude will not help. I wish you the best of luck.
As for how I got where I am today, I spent a lot of time pushing a mower from the time I was 10 till I graduated High School. That and other hourly jobs afforded me my private pilot's license. I too was in the SIU aviation flight program for 201b, 203, and 206. After my instrument rating I focused on getting a degree outside of aviation. I finished my commercial certificates part 61 during summer breaks and built time from there. I was lucky enough to get hired last fall when everyone was hiring. I was also VERY fortunate to choose the right airline for me and my quality of life. The best unsolicited advice I can offer is: when you go to one of these career fairs, check your attitude at the door, come informed, bring a personalized resume for everyone whom you wish to apply, take your time speaking with every company's representatives, and thank them for their time afterwards. I know its a frustrating time for people looking for work, but you aren't going to do yourself or the crews you fly with any favors if you are bitter before you even start your flying career.

You talk talk talk like you know everything there is to know about all the airlines when all you really do is come up with some line of BS that you make up in your head and post on this to sound smart.... First off you have said on several other posts that you dont have your commercial multi... Correct? So how did you get offered a job flying 1900's last time I checked the 1900's I fly at lakes have two(2) engines on them... Next our monthly garuntee at Lakes is 75 HR a month not 80-100 ... Next your probably younger and less professional looking that the pilot rep who was there from Lakes. Three weeks ago you posted all over the Great Lakes pilot forum that you had made your decision and you were for sure trying to come to Lakes. Then you opened your mouth and brought out the ego and we got mad... Now that you were kicked off that page your here talking smack again. The only difference is non of these guys on here have had any experience with the kind of crap you produce.... Dude just for once be true to yourself and stop with the smack talking and know it all attitudes because to those who do have the correct information we do not appreciate it. Every one in this industry takes a different road to get there no one road is better or worse than the next. If your truly happy with what your doing, you've succeeded. Just please stop with all your negative attitudes and comments about just about every regional, or do us all a favor and choose a different profession....

Go figure I was still offered a job even tho I wont have my comm multi for another few weeks. Must be pretty bad over at GLA? Ya I ran my mouth because your pilot group minus a few are some of the most immature people I have ever ran across. Like I said it may be only a few rotten eggs that spoil the bunch, but the ones I talked with were ****************************************. 2. After talking with my cousin and a retired united 74 captain I realized how dumb it would be to not finish college just to go to a regional. Let alone a regional that starts you at $16 bucks an hour. Lastly, I think the only other regional I may have smack talked would be GJ for obvious reasons. So unless I direct smack talk towards you, you can stay out of this one bud.

ALIMBO- GoJet didn't have an HR guy at the career fair, TSA did to hire mechanics, GoJet sent their chief pilot. They are really strict about their minimums right now because of all of the former ATA, Champion, and furloughed United, American, Midwest pilots etc. that are applying for the same job you will be when you have your commercial multi and meet the applicable minimums. Some of the 100 pilots they hire in the next year will be lower experienced people that will sit in the right seat for awhile but it will be more competitive than it was in the recent past. A strong sense of entitlement and a know-it-all attitude will not help. I wish you the best of luck.
As for how I got where I am today, I spent a lot of time pushing a mower from the time I was 10 till I graduated High School. That and other hourly jobs afforded me my private pilot's license. I too was in the SIU aviation flight program for 201b, 203, and 206. After my instrument rating I focused on getting a degree outside of aviation. I finished my commercial certificates part 61 during summer breaks and built time from there. I was lucky enough to get hired last fall when everyone was hiring. I was also VERY fortunate to choose the right airline for me and my quality of life. The best unsolicited advice I can offer is: when you go to one of these career fairs, check your attitude at the door, come informed, bring a personalized resume for everyone whom you wish to apply, take your time speaking with every company's representatives, and thank them for their time afterwards. I know its a frustrating time for people looking for work, but you aren't going to do yourself or the crews you fly with any favors if you are bitter before you even start your flying career.

Good to hear you went pt. 61 to finish up, probably saved a buck or two also. If you don't mind me asking what airline are you at now?

Latest resources

Back