• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How did you get to where you are now?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This thread makes me embarrased to be a SIU alumni.

I'll second that.

Some airline folks say you should be a doctor, lawyer, lifegaurd whatever it may be that earns boat loads of money in their mind vs. being a pilot but there is money to be made in this business. The premium paying jobs aren't going to come to you however.

So, how do you get from here to there? Well, you have to make sacrifices. No one likes to do it, and it really isn't fair, but thats what is required. Most folks entering in the aviation business realize that they are going to have to take a low paying job in the HOPES of one day making some good cash. Yes it sucks, but there isn't any other way to go from a freshly minted pilot to a high paying pilot quickly unless you hit the lottery and buy your own plane.

ALIMBO, its good that you are trying to be selective as to who you work for, however, you are also at the mercy of the market. To get the good jobs, you have to have a good attitude, a solid network, good aeronautical knowledge and FLIGHT TIME. This means taking whatever jobs you can get to build quality time. What if you go to GLA and in a year have some good turbine time and now the better regionals are hiring again and you move on to them and then take the additional steps from there? With 260 hours, in this market, you can't be picky. Sure, you could make just as much delivering pizzas for Quatros, but does that help you toward your aviation goals? You are only on first year pay for....a year.

The SIU career fair is one of the best college fairs out there and even a great fair to attend after you graduate. The industry is in a bad spot right now and unfortunately, few are hiring. Not that big of a deal though because you are such low time anyways. Keep your head up, and your eyes on the prize. If you want to make it in aviation, you are going to have to take small steps.

Additionally, I jumpseat on GLA from time to time and I have found their crews to be quite friendly, sharp, and professional.

Nice Dose of REality

I'll second that.

Some airline folks say you should be a doctor, lawyer, lifegaurd whatever it may be that earns boat loads of money in their mind vs. being a pilot but there is money to be made in this business. The premium paying jobs aren't going to come to you however.

So, how do you get from here to there? Well, you have to make sacrifices. No one likes to do it, and it really isn't fair, but thats what is required. Most folks entering in the aviation business realize that they are going to have to take a low paying job in the HOPES of one day making some good cash. Yes it sucks, but there isn't any other way to go from a freshly minted pilot to a high paying pilot quickly unless you hit the lottery and buy your own plane.

ALIMBO, its good that you are trying to be selective as to who you work for, however, you are also at the mercy of the market. To get the good jobs, you have to have a good attitude, a solid network, good aeronautical knowledge and FLIGHT TIME. This means taking whatever jobs you can get to build quality time. What if you go to GLA and in a year have some good turbine time and now the better regionals are hiring again and you move on to them and then take the additional steps from there? With 260 hours, in this market, you can't be picky. Sure, you could make just as much delivering pizzas for Quatros, but does that help you toward your aviation goals? You are only on first year pay for....a year.

The SIU career fair is one of the best college fairs out there and even a great fair to attend after you graduate. The industry is in a bad spot right now and unfortunately, few are hiring. Not that big of a deal though because you are such low time anyways. Keep your head up, and your eyes on the prize. If you want to make it in aviation, you are going to have to take small steps.

Additionally, I jumpseat on GLA from time to time and I have found their crews to be quite friendly, sharp, and professional.
One of hte nicest pieces of reality seen here in a long time. If you fly because you like it is a great career.

Lawyer, engineer, doctor, nurse, anything but a pilot. Do not waste your time. You can have my uniform.

Please, please... just quit the profession. You'll likely be a lot happier than martyring yourself on flightinfo.

I fly because I love it or I wouldn't have just asked for another 13 grand in loans, so me an aviation are not parting ways for awhile. As to flying for GLA for a year until I build time to move onto another regional in my opinion that's a waste. I don't want to move laterally from one regional to another. I think it be better to CFI then go to a regional of my choice. Or find other ways of building time. As for the SIU alum the school/program are not what they used to be its a fact. The program has seen so many changes that most students are very unhappy with and some are even changing majors as a result and finishing up pt. 61.

Go figure I was still offered a job even tho I wont have my comm multi for another few weeks. Must be pretty bad over at GLA? Ya I ran my mouth because your pilot group minus a few are some of the most immature people I have ever ran across. Like I said it may be only a few rotten eggs that spoil the bunch, but the ones I talked with were ****************************************. 2. After talking with my cousin and a retired united 74 captain I realized how dumb it would be to not finish college just to go to a regional. Let alone a regional that starts you at $16 bucks an hour. Lastly, I think the only other regional I may have smack talked would be GJ for obvious reasons. So unless I direct smack talk towards you, you can stay out of this one bud.

Finish college by all means - but yeah, stop coming off like you know it all. Who cares if you don't take a $16 p/h 1900 gig. NOBODY. Who will lack experience? YOU! Your sole contribution to the 'good' for not taking a low paying job won't benefit nobody. Not even YOU. Don't come on here in public, expecting a pat on the back. If you don't want to come into the industry then STAY OUT. You're on here trying to give it the large and show how wise you are. NOBODY CARES! If you want in - then shut up and come and deal with the matter. If you don't then get off the board and go do something else. The fact is... Nobody will miss you.

Don't get you panties in a bunch over an internet forum bud.

Finish college by all means - but yeah, stop coming off like you know it all. Who cares if you don't take a $16 p/h 1900 gig. NOBODY. Who will lack experience? YOU! Your sole contribution to the 'good' for not taking a low paying job won't benefit nobody. Not even YOU. Don't come on here in public, expecting a pat on the back. If you don't want to come into the industry then STAY OUT. You're on here trying to give it the large and show how wise you are. NOBODY CARES! If you want in - then shut up and come and deal with the matter. If you don't then get off the board and go do something else. The fact is... Nobody will miss you.
Well delivered! Thank you, Thats all

I love the flying, but despise the industry. I'm just trying to decide what route I want to go now (laid off, yet again, last week. That makes 4 in 5 years).

I don't know I think I found a nice in between place to work. I went to the bank to get some checks ordered and whoa the tellers and accountants were very cute. I think this has something to do with being in a college town but hot damn it was a nice view.

Latest resources

Back