How "bad" are things at RAH?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess I dont understand,

So why would a company bypass seniority for an upgrade? Are some of the FOs unable to meet the upgrade flight time requirements?? Such as the case with Pinnacle??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think basically it amounts to (for example) if they were extremely short on 145 FOs and fat on 170 FOs...in that case if a Captain vacancy for a 170 in ORD came open, it would behoove the company to upgrade that lower seniority 170 FO who already lives in ORD than say a more senior 145 FO from, say, STL. Less training, less shuffling, and they don't have to replace a guy from a fleet which is already understaffed.

PS. This is not meant to represent the actual situation, just an example.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think basically it amounts to (for example) if they were extremely short on 145 FOs and fat on 170 FOs...in that case if a Captain vacancy for a 170 in ORD came open, it would behoove the company to upgrade that lower seniority 170 FO who already lives in ORD than say a more senior 145 FO from, say, STL. Less training, less shuffling, and they don't have to replace a guy from a fleet which is already understaffed.

Company claims to be short on 170 FO's, 145 Captains, and 170 simulator time. They say that the least painful way to meet their staffing needs is to upgrade 145 FO's only, because they are easily replaceable in terms of sim time. Also, the company does not want the above mentioned short staffed groups to be offline for 2 months for training. It just so happens that they way people sit on the seniority list right now, 145 Captains would be bidding and holding 170 CA (meaning 2 months off and 10 170 sim sessions). Also, the most senior FO's on our list are mostly 170 FO's, and they would be holding 145 Captain spots, which means another 2 months off and another 10 170 sim sessions to train the FO replacement. So, in order to avoid using 20 precious 170 sim sessions and to avoid taking 2 pilots offline for two months for every one vacancy posted, the company came up with this bypass scheme. Of course, they also said that the alternative was to take back our vacations...which to me says that there is really not that much of a staffing crunch and shortage of sim time... the company is just trying to see how far they can push us. Kind of testing the waters and the resolve of the union, so to speak.

When all of this bypassing junk came to order a few weeks back there was a 145 captain bid going on.......that got canceled as a result of the above mentioned. Does anybody have a realistic guess on when that may be opened up again?

Seperate issue. just flew with a J4J guy last week and he is off and rolling out of here in May, along with a $hitload of others in his situation. Are all being recalled? Does the company have a plan for the increased vacancies, or is the upgrade-out-of-order the big solution?

Lots of questions, sorry, just want input on my new(parallel move) career endevor.

FD75

I don't work for CHQ but you may be correct but............... who gives a $hit. Senority has to mean something. I would be furious as well. Good luck guys I think you will make big gains in due time.

Senority is everything and this pilot group will stand and fight to the end. :uzi:
How bad is it here? Not nearly as bad as 90% of the other regionals. :cool:

Latest resources

Back