How "bad" are things at RAH?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Boris Badenov

I've noticed in a few recent threads some vague hints of unhappiness and "worse to come" at RAH. How bad are things, really? I realize that two year upgrades may be more like three year upgrades for people getting hired now. I can handle that. I know that contract negotiations are never a fun time for anyone, but with the shortage of pilots developing, I'd expect management to give on some things so they can get a contract locked in before the balance of power swings towards labor. I hear that the out of seniority training issue was crushed before it got off the ground. I know that the training system is grinding gears and having trouble keeping up with demand, but this likely to be a temporary problem. In short, I don't see anything to be alarmed about.

That said, maybe that's because I don't work there yet. I do have a class date coming up soon, though, and I'd sure like to know if there are more substantial reasons to see disaster looming before I commit by going to class.

Regards,
Boris

Growing pains yes. Contract neg yes. We have such a strong pilot group here at REP. I am very happy here and you will too. Don't buy into what you read here or any other board. You can't make everyyone happy and people love to b!tch about anything. Great company IMHO and great pilot group as well.:beer:

Growing pains yes. Contract neg yes. We have such a strong pilot group here at REP. I am very happy here and you will too. Don't buy into what you read here or any other board. You can't make everyyone happy and people love to b!tch about anything. Great company IMHO and great pilot group as well.:beer:
Good pilot group, yes. Strong...maybe. What are you going to do about the company trying to terminate your vacations for the year? Upgrading out of seniority order? They are blatantly attempting to violate your contract to cover up their own incompetence and I hope you won't allow it. Just the thought of them swaggering in and saying "we're going to fcuk you hard whether you like it or not so tell us how you want it..."
It makes me sick.

The union is weak, but hopefully gaining strength. The company walks all over the contract, they have absolutely no regard for it. I am surprised we are even paid. They might as well not pay us, and tell us to grieve it.

With all the bases it is tough to stay unified, but things are getting better I think. We now have our own offices in Indy, and there are people on the EXCO with the desire to make changes and see that the contract is followed. However with contract negotiations forthcoming, it could be an interesting couple of years.

I would stay away from republic right now, A company that thinks it can take away something as fundamental as seniority, because they made some huge staffing mistakes, is NOT a company you want to be employed at! what would stop them from doing it again.? to you when its your turn to upgrade? I wish i didnt come here.

what would stop them from not paying you for a few months because they cant afford it. Crews are upset right now, very low moral, everyone wants out. there are also strong rumors of the company firing people for things that the FAA would never even look at. things are getting bad very quickly.

Go to a quality company that will respect you like express jet or skywest, you will be much better off and upgrade quicker... Tell Republic recruiting why you are not working there.

The seniority bypass threat is a tactic, nothing more. The company realizes that they are at a disadvantaged position entering contract negotiations this year. By making such a blatant violation of the contract, they are hoping to scare us into giving real concessions, such as junior manning and vacation GIVEbacks. The company knows actually violating seniority will result in a very expensive legal battle, one which they cannot expect to win. It also would constitute grounds for a strike. This is all just posturing from the company, kind of like having a short stack in poker and a lousy hand, and going all in just to try to build your pot. They are hoping we fold early and that we don't call their bluff. However, they have underestimated how much animosity they have created with their labor groups over the past few years. This will blow over, perhaps in a few months, but before irrepairable damage is done to our seniority. Nothing will happen overnight, but a few months of legal shennanigans will put things back in place.

Don't hate RAH pilots... we have fought off Alter Egos and Junior manning, and reversed out-of-seniority furloughing successfully. We may not seem strong, but we get the job done.

Management tries to walk over pilots, pilots try to find ways to screw with management. Just like every other regional out there.

Latest resources

Back