• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Horizon Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the dash class was for the 17th of November. People don't transition to aircraft here at Horizon because of our wonderful system that punishes you if you do. If I were to bid the Jet I would go to the lowest payscale (I make RJ pay now), and then get seat locked for 2 years. Once you get hired into an aircraft, that is where you will stay for 5 yrs till you upgrade.

Hey qxpilot:

How does the system "punish" you if you switch aircraft?

Thinking of applying, but want to live in SEA or PDX. If I were to get hired and sent to DEN, can I transfer back west? Would I have to, or could I switch aircraft to get to SEA?

Thanks for your response.

GP

JJJ said:
I know that 20 hours of CRJ sim time sounds good, but I would rather have an FO with previous "real" flying expreience rather than book smart when it's midnight and you are doing a LOC BC to a 6500 foot runway with blowing snow and a cross wind.

I guess you have never been flying in north dakota. I don't think they have a day where the snow isn't blowing with a cross wind. I would guess that any 750 hr pilot who graduated from UND has a much better xwind landing technique than you. At least that is what I have found.

JJJ said:
I would rather have an FO with previous "real" flying expreience rather than book smart when it's midnight and you are doing a LOC BC to a 6500 foot runway with blowing snow and a cross wind.

Funny you should mention that... because that is exactly what I WILL be doing about the time November rolls around. Only I'll be doing it on a smaller runway, in a much less capable aircraft than you fly, and with a student who is unintentionally trying to kill us both the whole time. Oh, and it will probably be 1am.

Yours truly,
a beloved UNDie

CrazyErnie said:
Funny you should mention that... because that is exactly what I WILL be doing about the time November rolls around. Only I'll be doing it on a smaller runway, in a much less capable aircraft than you fly, and with a student who is unintentionally trying to kill us both the whole time. Oh, and it will probably be 1am.

Yours truly,
a beloved UNDie

the student part I get...but the part about short runways and
"less capable aircraft"...

I guess that you think that all that glowy CRT stuff and turbine
engines make the airplane more capable...well, faster and carry
more, but capable of what? Faster means you need that bigger
runway. Capable of being at a higher speed when the crosswind
blows you off the runway? WTF,O?

If you can really fly the airplane, and fly it within it's limits,
what's the deal? Reversable props just kick up the snow and
white out everything if you leave 'em in too long. The CRJ main
wheels are too close together and the wings too close to the
ground for real good crosswinds, and autopilots just make
pilots even lazier!

I used to think it was normal to land a fully loaded c-207 on a
40X1400 foot ice covered runway with a 25-30kt crosswind...but
that was what ya did in The Greatland...I'm not bragging, cause
there were (and are) guys that did it better than me...everyone
did it,or they went somewhere else. Best frigging experience in
the world. Judgement calls all the time, pushing to be better all
the time...and learning when to walk away. That, my friend is
where it is all at...knowing where your limits, the airframe limits
and the weather all come together and you can make a good
call.

I guess you have never been flying in north dakota. I don't think they have a day where the snow isn't blowing with a cross wind. I would guess that any 750 hr pilot who graduated from UND has a much better xwind landing technique than you. At least that is what I have found.

Actually I have flown in ND, does BIS count? I've also flown on the east coast around the great lakes, the south and the west coast. I would hesitate to say that a UND grad has a better xwind technique than I do. I would guess that they probably have the SAME TECHNIQUE as I do. Crab on final, slip in flare.

I'm not talking about snow that is blowing across the runway, more like lake effect snow in BUF and AZO. Is it normal at UND to fly in know icing conditions in an aircraft that is not certified for know icing conditions?

Flying a CRJ to a 6500 ft runway is like flying a 172 to an 800 foot runway. It can be done safely, but there isn't much room for error.

All of the Gee-wiz stuff doesn't help at the end of a LOC-BC. You actually have to fly the a/c to the runway, just like a 172, imagine that.

I don't have anything against UND or Riddle or anything. But when you think you are Joe expert, seasoned pilot due to your top notch training, well, we can all live with out that attitude.

Last edited:
I don't think the UND guys think they are the most seasoned pilots in the world. At least not most of them. Most think they are competent pilots who can make it through CRJ or ERJ or Dash 8 class without a problem, and serve as competent and professional FO's.

And they are correct, it's happened hundreds of times and at many airlines (Horizon, COEX, Messaba, ACA, etc), and will continue to happen as long as those airlines are pleased with what they get.

And no, UND does not pay the airlines.

Erik

Most of them don't, but some of them do.

Pretty much anyone can make it through training regardless of where they learned to fly at.

The only things it takes to please an airline are to pass training and don't complain.

Latest resources

Back