• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Horizon Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know that 20 hours of CRJ sim time sounds good, but I would rather have an FO with previous "real" flying expreience rather than book smart when it's midnight and you are doing a LOC BC to a 6500 foot runway with blowing snow and a cross wind.

The real reason UNDies are getting jobs at Horizon is because the CP is an alumni.

"Son, Ive got more sick time than you have multi-time."

Now that's funny

What makes UND grads even more competetive is that they have a 20 hour CRJ sim training program. Which makes a smoother transition to the 700.

The only problem is that anyone competitive for this Horizon hiring in Nov, graduated before the RJ sim was even in ND. I guess some instructors got to pay for some hours however, but I don't know to many CFI's who have $1500 laying around.

Taking nothing away from the school, I tend to agree with JJJ, LaMar being an alum helps more than anything.

Thanks!

dixieflyer said:
I remember one time I was in the check in room. This senior captian had been paired up with one of those 50 ME hour wonders (UnDies, as we called them). I overheard him say "Son, Ive got more sick time than you have multi-time." I couldnt help but laugh.

Thank you Dixie! You just gave me a great laugh! I've got some buddys at QX, and I can see them saying that...
Fly safe (and watch your Undies)
AK737FO

OK boys and girls. Yes it's funny, but remember we were all there once and no matter how much time you have there is always someone out there with more than you.

While we're on the subject I got my first 135 multi right seat job in Nov of 1997 with a whole 6.8 multi hours and 340 hours total time. One of the guys I flew with at that job had 1600tt and an ATP and I was like, "man how'd you get that much time, its gonna take me years". By July 99 I had the ATP and a job at Allegheny.

Remember the good days, couldn't swing a cat without hitting flying job, we should all pray they return again soon.

On the Horizon subject: Boy how times change. Now I'm looking at 5500tt and comming up on 4000 in the Dash with a type and can barely get Horizon to give my resume a look. :eek:

I guess its a west coast thang. Whats Horizon got against us east coast Dashers?

O and BTW: This month I hit 200 hours in my sick bank. So I guess I have more sick time than a Mesa San Juan new hire has total time.:D

Last edited:
I know that 20 hours of CRJ sim time sounds good, but I would rather have an FO with previous "real" flying expreience rather than book smart when it's midnight and you are doing a LOC BC to a 6500 foot runway with blowing snow and a cross wind.

Ooooh....

Had a friend that just got hired by them on the RJ for Denver. He had been trying for 2 years to get on with them. All that time he had two very senior captains walking in his resume. He was hired with 1700 TT 500 Multi all of which was piston.

What is newhire pay and boarding like at Horizon? Last time I checked it was garuntee at first year pay and hotel paid for. I think it was with a roomate and you got per diem. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks

Pay during training:

16 hours per week salary ($26.24 is first year pay)
hotel paid for with roommate, and single occupancy during sim in Seattle.
Per diem during sim ($1.60 per hour)

You are off training pay at the beggining of the new bid after the completion of IOE.

Just remember that Horizon hires into each of the aircraft type. So before you get all excited about being a thousand hour wonder in the RJ, realize you might be flying the Dash. Also remeber that you'll be sitting in the right seat at least 4-5 years. Consider other commuters before coming here.

Latest resources

Back