• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hey delta guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What unity? ALPA is an association of independent unions. Half of which have a conflict of interest with the other half.

Clippy, then you do not understand one of the basic tenants of unionism. Reality is, if we divide in to fractured independents, things will not go well for the profession. The simple reason the grass appears greener at the independents is twofold. First, is you are looking at the last five year, not the entire history, and two, many of these independents gain from the work ALPA has done.

APA and Dave Bates see the benefit of working with ALPA, and I will venture to guess that some time in the no-so-distant future other independents will as well.

Clippy, then you do not understand one of the basic tenants of unionism. Reality is, if we divide in to fractured independents, things will not go well for the profession. The simple reason the grass appears greener at the independents is twofold. First, is you are looking at the last five year, not the entire history, and two, many of these independents gain from the work ALPA has done.

Scare tactics are so much fun!

ALPA is an association of independent unions. We are not all one union with the same goal. That is a big problem. If one of the regionals in that association makes a gain such as bigger aircraft or more flying, that gain is made at the expense of the mainline it serves. And vise versa. Explain how unity will solve that problem.

ALPA is an association of independent unions. We are not all one union with the same goal. That is a big problem. If one of the regionals in that association makes a gain such as bigger aircraft or more flying, that gain is made at the expense of the mainline it serves. And vise versa. Explain how unity will solve that problem.

Maybe not united on scope, but maybe even a majority of RJ pilots realize that holding the line on scope is important for the future of the profession and pay rates.

ALPA will be there in a united front when Air India or Russia propose a new regional airline based in the US that will pay pilots $50 per day plus housing and argue for the immigration of such pilots because of the lack of US pilots (willing to do the job for that much).
Scope is but one threat to the industry, albeit the one that has taken the biggest chunk over the last 15 years.

And before I hear the "it can't happen because of foreign ownership laws or cabotage", who do you think has the most vested in keeping those laws?
Also, I know the chinese, Indians, and russians are short of qualified pilots now, but if the steady cash is there, don't you think with over 3billion people to pull from they might be able to find a few thousand 12 yr olds to spend the next 10 years immersed in aviation and english? The threat is out there, many other industries have been outsourced, and not just to cheaper americans.

Last edited:

ALPA needs to better explain to the RJ drivers that bigger aircraft is not their answer, more pay and benefits and work rules for the ones they are currently flying is the key. Make the regional industry much closer to the mainline they serve in terms of labor treatment.

DPA is a joke....Plain and simple....No alternative other than "We can do better!".....yeah, sure pal...

Born from some crybaby 01 hire F/O who thinks he got screwed.

No plan, no new ideas, no vote from me.......

That crybaby 2000 hire F/O, Tim Caplinger, who just happens to be my best friend, is at least trying to do something about the cancer on the industry and Delta itself that is ALPA and their policy of playing on both sides. He doesn't think he got screwed, he knows he got screwed, and the rest of you too when ALPA started representing the regional airlines that are taking away your flying. It's not about any personal agenda, it's about making Delta a better place to work and Delta pilots looking after Delta pilots, not subsidizing regionals. If you knew the guy, you would know he is a selfless, motivated hard worker trying to improve his and your career. But since you don't know him, you badmouth him on an anonymous board. Further proof that you're an ***********************************.

PW

That crybaby 2000 hire F/O, Tim Caplinger, who just happens to be my best friend, is at least trying to do something about the cancer on the industry and Delta itself that is ALPA and their policy of playing on both sides. He doesn't think he got screwed, he knows he got screwed, and the rest of you too when ALPA started representing the regional airlines that are taking away your flying. It's not about any personal agenda, it's about making Delta a better place to work and Delta pilots looking after Delta pilots, not subsidizing regionals. If you knew the guy, you would know he is a selfless, motivated hard worker trying to improve his and your career. But since you don't know him, you badmouth him on an anonymous board. Further proof that you're an ***********************************.

PW
I don't remember any major airline manager or pilot ever coming to us lowly regional folks and giving us a vote to relax your scope!! And no I don't want bigger aircraft at the regionals. When I grew up, majors flew a 34 seat turboprop.

1999 Hire

That crybaby 2000 hire F/O, Tim Caplinger, who just happens to be my best friend, is at least trying to do something about the cancer on the industry and Delta itself that is ALPA and their policy of playing on both sides.
He's actually a 1999 hire and is not a crybaby. PW's right...he really is one of the good guys irregardless of how you feel about ALPA/DALPA OR DPA.

Latest resources

Back