• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hey delta guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh my gosh, you mean if ALPO was gone, there would be competitoin? Mainline carriers could work actively against regionals? How terrible.

Oh my gosh, you mean if ALPO was gone, there would be competitoin? Mainline carriers could work actively against regionals? How terrible.

No I think if ALPA was gone, each group would exist only for itself. At it's extreme, scope would go away as each existing group just insulated it's own job as the company shrank, the ladder would just pull up until the regionals continually regenerated through BK and rebirth.
If you really want all out competition then why not do away with seniority lists? I mean the pilots who perform the best at your company should be the captains, right? If a captain makes a mistake, he should be instantly downgraded or replaced with fresh blood. In fact, true competition would say why not keep pilots only a decade or so, because if that were the norm or tolerated by the group, don't think for an instant that all companies wouldn't go to that model, but Im sure a younger guy can do your job cheaper?

Actually if I were god, I would give ALPA more power to state to the companies this is the minimum it takes to pay a crew to operate a 7X7 etc and let the companies work on work rules and other perks to attract labor. If pilot labor costs were more a fixed cost, they wouldn't be seen as the only way to cheaply start up an airline, or in SWA's case be in startup mode for over 20 years.

But your only interested in calling ALPA ALPO, and have no interest in piloting as a profession, just what's in it for you, today. By the way, 97% of ALPA is individual pilot groups, so ALPO was YOU!

Regionals are created and used by majors for one reason, because they are CHEAPER. If any major could get their pilots to allow scope to allow SKY West or RAH to fly 747's, they'd do it the next week and never look back, and the regional pilots would do it for $1 more an hour and say they have no choice.

Why on earth would majors work against regionals, they are their creation a way around pilot contracts that were richer than was required for the type of work that could be easily contracted out and was.

Think about the year before scope was allowed, when AA paid a pilot north of $100K to fly a folker jet around the country and Delta opened up scope to COMAIR who ran a school where people were PAYING CASH MONEY for the exact same type of job that paid 1/4 the salary. That disparity in labor price could not stand forever. ALPA was obviously a decade behind the curve on recognizing the danger of scope relief and once the horse has left the barn, she's kept running and not looked back.

This is why Mgmt is in such a commanding position overall. With 1/2 their ASM's at contractors who can constantly be wanked around for a better price, all they have to focus on negotiating is the 1/2 on their list and try to constantly chip into that number with some raises now and then.

Best of luck to the whole profession, but in the absence of any other union even trying to speak for the profession, with out ALPA, the pay would be even further depressed to actual market rates.

The simple logical truth of the matter is that a single union cannot represent two separate groups within a single company when they are competing for the same work. Plain and simple...

One of the groups is going to lose. Explain to me how one union can honestly operate under the intent of doing the absolute very best for the group it represents under these circumstances?

Typical DALPA response. I've never seen the conflict of interest -
Maybe if delta would stop selling all their flying out- there wouldn't be multiple groups to represent. Look in the mirror on that General- take a good look at the source of your problems.

Wave,

Go peddle your anti-alpa crap on another board....don't you have some regional buddies you can go and circle-jerk?

DPA is a joke....Plain and simple....No alternative other than "We can do better!".....yeah, sure pal...

Born from some crybaby 01 hire F/O who thinks he got screwed.

No plan, no new ideas, no vote from me.......

Wave,

Go peddle your anti-alpa crap on another board....don't you have some regional buddies you can go and circle-jerk?

I do have regional buddies- no desire to jerk any of them - circle method or not- and be careful- there are a lot of your brothers who had unanticipated RJ careers.

In this case though- I agree with you-
ALPAs not the problem- it's the individuals involved and their stupidity, greed, and short sightedness -
And the problem is guys like you who vote to outsource more flying for a penny and vote republican bc their well paid alpa contract gets taxed too much-
But I am a big alpa supporter- just think those at the top can and ought to do better

The simple logical truth of the matter is that a single union cannot represent two separate groups within a single company when they are competing for the same work. Plain and simple...

One of the groups is going to lose. Explain to me how one union can honestly operate under the intent of doing the absolute very best for the group it represents under these circumstances?

I would agree in essence unless ALPA made it plainly clear in it's national platform that scope at 55/70 seats or whatever is non negotiable. If they are telling the regionals we'll help you get more flying and then telling the majors we're here to hold the line on scope, well of course that's conflict.

Ultimately though, regionals will always have wage pressure due to the constant RFI process and ability for the majors to easily switch flying around. In essence the regionals have absolutely no scope, not even a brand identity to protect.

An independent union and the downfall of ALPA is probably one of the dumbest things things this industry can do. Yes, ALPA has some warts, but at the end of the day unity of ALPA's level is needed for what is over the next hill or two. A group of independents will never have the power of ALPA. Plain and simple.

We cannot get the next events wrong, and trying to complete the power building of independents is not what we need to be focusing on.

Latest resources

Back