• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Here comes the furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
not argueing or anything and i do think the US is in the pooper economy wise but why are my planes full (over 60 seats filled out of 76 or 86)?

I'm pretty intune with loads as we over here at Rep still fill out the "can" old school commuter style with out, off, on, in, flt #, block, and pax #. (capts job)

So every leg at say 4.5 average legs a day and all I do is 4days trips I cannot recall putting a number lower than 50 other than maybe 5 times since say Jan 1, 2008.

not argueing or anything and i do think the US is in the pooper economy wise but why are my planes full (over 60 seats filled out of 76 or 86)?

As McCain said, I don't know allot about the economy but I would guess it is largely due to the majors cutting domestic capacity to ramp up the international markets. DL, for example, has slashed and revamped its domestic ops numerous times and will continue to do so as oil prices remain high.

Last edited:
Flat-out wrong.
It's true that demand in the USA has flattened out, or may be even slightly falling. But worldwide, demand is still growing at 2% per year.

Hank,

I'm with you on the Peak Oil thing, but you are early:
I am shorting the ever-loving daylights out of oil, right now. The hedgefunds are having to meet margin calls, and margin requirements for everybody are going up. It's just another step in the de-leveraging of this credit-based economy.

World wide demand will NOT continue to increase at 2%/year. Especially when the US economy takes a digger. For good or ill, we are still the big, swinging d**k, and when we catch a cold, the rest of the world will catch pneumonia.

We are heading into a vicious and severe recession and possibly a depression.

Bear Stearns blew up because they were leveraged TO-THE-HILT against billions and billions of $$ of mortgages of dubious quality. You really think that the world will just have a relatively "minor" downturn WHEN Citigroup goes T.U.?? Their balance sheet is absolutely full of holes...with more leverage. OUCH.

Yes, I said Citigroup. Don't give me this "too big to fail" argument. Bear Stearns won't be the first, and they won't be the last.

The FED can't fix this. The "Federal" Reserve is a Private Bank with a limited balance sheet of around $860 billion, of which half has already been committed in attempts to paper over this mess.

The government/fed can't inflate their way out of this hole. If they could, they already would have done so.

Last thursday, the markets shot up 2%+ because a couple of a$$clowns signaled the "all clear" signal...and the sheep bought it.

You want to know what happened behind the curtain??

A MONSTROUS FLIGHT TO SAFETY.

Billions and billions of $$ are fleeing into SHORT-TERM US TREASURY BILLS. So much money has been pouring into t-bills that the 13-week t-bill interest rate is effectively ZERO. (Rates move inverse to demand: High demand=interest rates DOWN)

Why would millionares and billionares be parking their money in a vehicle with absolutely ZERO return?

Simple: They know they will get their money back. Period.

An effective rate of 0% on the 13-week t-bill is a DEPRESSION print, folks.

The bond market is not buying this rally. Billionares are not buying this rally, and neither am I.

The fed can't fix this. The government can't inflate their way out of this.

I'm not wrong about this, folks. I wish I was.

Troubled times are ahead. Institutions will be tested.

what did your company sell those (full) seats for ? A full 777 with seats sold at $100 each is a money looser

"but the flight was full"

what did your company sell those (full) seats for ? A full 777 with seats sold at $100 each is a money looser

"but the flight was full"

Yield is far more important than load factor. You got that right.

No, you'd prefer increased demand. The primary reason why demand is decreasing because economic growth is turning negative.
The oil demand growth advocates point to Chindia's growing consumption. Chindia's economic growth was in large part powered by exports to the US. US demand for those goods are showing a decrease.

You think that decreasing demand is a fantasy world? What do you think happens in an economic slowdown?

No seriously dude, you don't understand, I want to live in a fantasy world where everything is perfect...just like the wallgreens commercial.

I can see what you are trying to say, but there are alot of guys on this board that sound like my brother (former fighter pilot) who sits around with his former fighter pilot buddies discussing Chinese economic politics like they know exactly what is going to happen, having no more formal training than the B.S. degrees in History or Communications they received from their respective colleges.

For God's sake, even Jim Cramer screams "NO, NO, NO..do not sell Bear Stearns....you would be an idiot to get out....they are not in trouble". Six days later the stock goes from $62 to $2. You would think that guy would have a clue. If he doesn't then why should we trust you. No offense.

I must go now.....it's my daughter's 1st birthday.

For God's sake, even Jim Cramer screams "NO, NO, NO..do not sell Bear Stearns....you would be an idiot to get out....they are not in trouble". Six days later the stock goes from $62 to $2. You would think that guy would have a clue. If he doesn't then why should we trust you. No offense.

YGBSM! Cramer? The man that claims to have 2000 stocks in his head? You can't follow 50 stocks with any precision, much less 2000. He does the same on those 2000 stocks that I do - knows the ticker symbol, the sector that it's in, and the latest headline. He doesn't know squat about the companies. I've found him to be a halfway decent contrarian indicator and have made decent coin shorting his picks .... missed BSC though because I was busy moving. Pisses me off, because I had it on my radar screen as a dead man walking. Watch MER and C go the same road. Possibly LEH.

Unlike Cramer, I actually read oil production and consumption reports. http://www.eia.doe.gov/
They've been revised downward on a regular basis, just like this last year: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/2...h-nar-chief-economist-lawrence-yun/3093097426
Funny thing is, Yun's still painting housing as blue skies and no problems.

Tell ya what, how about we revisit this topic after Labor day? By then, the trend will either be one of increased or decreased consumption. You've got the Olympics on your side, but I don't think that'll be enough to increase worldwide oil demand.
There's a reason why OPEC wants to cut production and says that the world is awash in oil.

Obama=a pastor that hates White America !! He married Obama, baptized their daughters. Sat and listen to the pastor bash and bash the U.S. and returned Sunday after Sunday to listen to this., And now wants to be president !! Attended a muslim school when young?

Let me see, we have been fighting and looking for extreme muslims=and now lets elect one...maybe not extreme but his ties and roots (as with what the church web-site says) supports a muslim country!!!

Americans are stupid as he**, for him to even be this close is scary to me. Stop being like sheep !!

Latest resources

Back