Help our counterparts in ATC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Soverytired said:
Uh, most Euro-weenie country's have privatized ATC. Their controllers are considered moderately skilled techinical workers, at best, and are paid way way way WAY less than their US counterparts.

Feel unsafe flying in the EU? No? Nor should you. Pay has nothing to do with either safety or quality when it comes to ATC.

Same goes for pilots.

We are moderately skilled technical workers, at best.

Feel unsafe flying in the EU? No? Nor should you. Experience has nothing to do with either safety or quality when it comes to pilots.

Last edited:
dardar said:
Same goes for pilots.

We are moderately skilled technical workers, at best.

Feel unsafe flying in the EU? No? Nor should you. Experience has nothing to do with either safety or quality when it comes to pilots.

Well, unless you consider that little MID-AIR COLLISION in 2002 over Überlingen a problem, the erosion of safety in Europe is no problem at all.

Read Don Brown's Avweb column about the whole affair there, he says it so much better than I ever could.

dardar said:
Feel unsafe flying in the EU?

Yup. In Europe, I take the train.

dardar said:
Experience has nothing to do with either safety or quality when it comes to pilots.

A lot of people disagree with you. I am probably the least among them.

pilotmyf said:
In my humble opinion, let them deal with their own problems.

You're coming dangerously close to a copyright infringement from Duane Woerth!

And while I'm anti-ALPA based on their recent tactics or lack of, I am pro-solidarity among those in this profession and support their efforts to keep the profession from collapsing.

Soverytedious needs to call Rush Limbaugh (a union member, by the way) this Friday and get his marching orders on this subject.

Y'all, I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading here. Either y'all are too young to remember or were in a drug induced haze back in 1982? When Reagan fired the controllers? Do any of you remember the chaos that created?

The controllers are good people who do a service for the US people. They are worth every penny because they (like every other union group) get what they negotiatate. Don't be sitting here knocking them down for making too much money, working too little, or "raping the US citizens". I have news for you... the average US citizen thinks the same about pilots, and don't tell me for one minute that you don't mind it or want to volunteer for a pay cut.

I've been watching the chaos here in 'da ATL as this dispute has heated up. I've noticed the increased holding, increased in trail separation, the "inability" to position and hold at certain times. Yes, it's frustrating to some people, but some of us find it funny. They're stickin' it to the Man. If the FAA is too stupid to remember what happened 25 years ago, then they may be doomed to repeat history. Back up your controllers or you won't be flying anywhere.

Bringupthebird said:
You're coming dangerously close to a copyright infringement from Duane Woerth!
My face can't support a Woerth moustache

I don't know about the rest of the region, but the guys at DCA don't make nearly enough. Like the PGA tour, "these guys are good."

John Pennekamp said:
I've been watching the chaos here in 'da ATL as this dispute has heated up. I've noticed the increased holding, increased in trail separation, the "inability" to position and hold at certain times. Yes, it's frustrating to some people, but some of us find it funny. They're stickin' it to the Man. If the FAA is too stupid to remember what happened 25 years ago, then they may be doomed to repeat history. Back up your controllers or you won't be flying anywhere.

The funny part is that what you mention has pretty much nothing to to with any kind of job action by controllers (Editorial note: Job actions, slowdowns, strikes, etc. are illegal under 5 USC 7120, and are not condoned by omission or commission by NATCA or me!)

Back in March, the FAA in its wisdom placed sudden and severe restrictions on taxi in position and hold (TIPH) operations. Part of the GENOT is reproduced below. At the time, controllers in towers all over the country told the FAA this was going to back traffic up a lot. I suspect, since you specifically mention the inability to do TIPH, that a lot of what you are seeing is the result of restricting TIPH. I am chuckling to myself over this issue, though it's not really funny at all - anything with a negative effect on the NAS offends me personally. But, we told 'em so.

Read John Carr's blog, "The Main Bang", and search for TIPH for more and better.

GENOT RWA 6/14 SVC B

PLEASE AMEND FAAO 7210.3U AS FOLLOWS: (ADD) PARAGRAPH 10-3-8, TAXI INTO POSITION AND HOLD (TIPH) OPERATIONS
A. THE AT MANAGER MUST DETERMINE AN OPERATIONAL NEED EXISTS BEFORE CONDUCTING TIPH OPERATIONS, TO INCLUDE SUCH FACTORS AS CAPACITY, EFFICIENCY, USER INPUT, ETC.
B. BEFORE AUTHORIZING TIPH OPERATIONS AS SPECIFIED IN FAA ORDER 7110.65, THE AT MANAGER MUST ENSURE THE FOLLOWING:
1. REVIEW THE IMPACT THAT AIRPORT CONFIGURATION AND LOCAL CONDITIONS MAY HAVE ON THE APPLICATION OF TIPH PROCEDURES.
2. PREPARE A FACILITY DIRECTIVE:
(A) PRESCRIBING LOCAL PROCEDURES FOR CONDUCTING THESE OPERATIONS.
(B) PRESCRIBING METHODS TO ASSIST THE LOCAL CONTROLLER IN MAINTAINING AWARENESS OF AIRCRAFT POSITIONS ON THE AIRPORT. SUCH METHODS MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, READING BACK THE PILOT'S STATED POSITION, ANNOTATING FLIGHT PROGRESS STRIPS, POSTING OR ARRANGING FLIGHT PROGRESS STRIPS ACCORDING TO AIRCRAFT'S INTENDED TAKEOFF POSITION, OR MARKING THE LOCATION OF AIRCRAFT WITH COLOR-CODED CHIPS ON A MAGNETIC DIAGRAM OF THE AIRPORT. REFERENCE FAA ORDER 7210.3, PARAGRAPH 10-1-7, USE OF ACTIVE RUNWAYS
(C) PRESCRIBING THE CONSOLIDATION AND STAFFING OF POSITIONS.
(D) PRESCRIBING THE REQUIREMENT FOR THE SAFETY LOGIC SYSTEM TO OPERATE IN FULL CORE ALERT RUNWAY CONFIGURATION.
3. LOCAL CONTROL POSITION SHALL NOT BE CONSOLIDATED/COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER POSITION. FOR EXAMPLE, LOCAL CONTROL POSITION SHALL NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANOTHER LOCAL POSITION, CIC, LOCAL ASSIST, GROUND CONTROL, CLEARANCE DELIVERY/LFLIGHT DATA, ETC.
4. WHERE THE TOWER ASSOCIATE (LOCAL ASSIST) POSITION OR A LOCAL MONITOR POSITION IS ESTABLISHED, THIS POSITION SHALL BE STAFFED. THIS POSITION IS CONSIDERED ESSENTIAL TO THE OPERATIONAL INTEGRITY AND SAFETY LEVELS REQUIRED TO MINIMIZE THE POTENTIAL FOR SURFACE ERRORS AND LAND- OVER INCIDENTS.
5. SUPERVISOR/CIC POSITION SHALL NOT BE COMINED WITH A CONTROL POSITION.
6. AT THOSE FACILITIES WITH SAFETY LOGIC SYSTEMS, THE SYSTEM SHALL BE OPERATING IN THE FULL CORE ALERT RUNWAY CONFIGURATION.
7. ENSURE WATCH SUPERVISORS/CIC'S REVIEW FAA ORDER 7210.3, PARAGRAPH 2-6-1 A, WATCH SUPERVISION, WITH AN EMPHASIS ON MAINTAINING SITUATIONAL AWARENESS AND MANAGEMENT OF THE OPERATIONAL ENVIRONMENT WITH A GOAL TOWARD ELIMINATING DISTRACTIONS.
C. AT MANAGERS MUST SUBMIT OPERATIONAL NEED FOR TIPH AND FACILITY DIRECTIVE TO THE APPROPRIATE TERMINAL SERVICE UNIT AREA DIRECTOR FOR APPROVAL.
D. TERMINAL SERVICE UNIT AREA DIRECTORS WILL CONDUCT AN ANNUAL REVIEW OF FACILITIES CONDUCTING TIPH OPERATIONS

My pops has been doing it for almost 30 years between the Air Force and FAA... he is a Sup and I think they deserve everything they get for what they do. He has helped me live my "dream";) 60K?

Soverytired said:
GOVERNMENT UNIONS, my friend, GOVERNMENT UNIONS. When an airline goes on strike, a private corporation is threatened . . . they'll either come to an equitable solution or go under. There is significant inherent pressure for both sides to bargin equitably.

As for "the flying public" . . . any airline that goes under will be replaced w/in weeks by surplus capacity. Whoop-dee-diddly-do-dee.

Not so GOVERNEMENT UNIONS. They can rape the US taxpayer all day long. But hey, we're only borrowing money from the Chinese that your grandkids will have to pay off for the rest of their lives.

Ever heard of a teacher strike losing? No? Well that's because teachers know dang well they can force the local taxpayer to borrow infinte amounts of money. Same with govt. unions. Notable exceptions: ATC circa 30 years ago; NYC transit strike circa 1 year ago.
I really don't understand how you could think this way. Everyone one thought pilots were overpaid back before 9/11. Some people still do. We aren't and we know it. We deserve every penny of what we get and then 5 times more. Every time an emergency happens like a Jet Blue nose gear gets turned the wrong way or an XJT plane blows its tires, we are reminded of how important it is that we know what we are doing. ATC is no different. Since the LAX Skywest crash, when have you seen an accident resulting in ATC error? Sure they screw up and we catch it all the time. But we screw up too, and I don't always catch myself.

You may think government unions are bad, but do you think they are unnecessary? I don't really like unions, but I am in one. And I realize I need it. I just don't like the politics of it.

You mentioned the teachers union. Don't you think they are underpaid? Do you think they would get more money without a union? The government is a big company. It has to have employees. Saying that government unions are putting a gun to the taxpayers head is harsh. Do you really think your taxes would go down if controllers were paid less? Think about it. You dont think Congress would find somewhere else to put it? I would bet my salary that they would find a big bridge in Alaska or maybe some more entitlement programs for the illegal immigrants. They would find something. That money will be spent, and I would rather it be spent on a professional that spends his working day keeping me out of trouble.

And should you have any doubt that what they do is challenging, here is a website for you. http://www.xavius.com
Xavius created a very high quality Air Traffic Control Simulator. It is fairly accurate. Maybe you will find some appreciation for the work these guys do.

Last edited:
Elusive Napkin said:
You mentioned the teachers union. Don't you think they are underpaid? .

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back