Help our counterparts in ATC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AirCanon04

If you dont know much about this the FAA is basically asking congress to void the controllers contracts, much like has been happening on our side for some time. The FAA just walked away from the table and is now seeking to simply force the new contract in.

The FAA wants to impose their new rates and hiring plans, which would according to a union somewhat stronger than alpo, would lead to massive retirements and start an A and B scale wages system.

While some of you are probably jaded about flying and think controllers are overpaid please lets try to help them what little bit we can.

Go to http://www.fairfaa.com/ and fire off a letter to your member of congress.

Thanks.

AirCanon04 said:
While some of you are probably jaded about flying and think controllers are overpaid please lets try to help them what little bit we can.

I know lots and lots of area controllers. I backpack with them every summer. They're great guys, and some of the most OVERPAID GOVERNMENT WORKERS out there, and they'll even admit it. Hell, if I were 25, I'd rethink the whole flying thing, which I'm beginning to think is for chumps.

Sorry, I vote no. Government unions are BS anyway. Nothing like holding a gun to the head of the US taxpayer, no?

I don't think a lot of pilots quite realize how much work a controller has to do. While we're up there reading or playing a sudoku puzzle and complaining that they didn't hear us check in, they're busy keeping us separated and keeping all the other sectors happy. Every request we make means getting on the land line and clearing that with other sectors or making "point outs" to them. The workload is only increasing with all the RJ's making three runs for every one run a 737 used to make. Cut them some slack and at least look at the fairfaa.com website.

P.S.

By the way, the FAA is looking for them to top out at $60,000 a year. Sounds like a lot, but I don't think a center contoller should make what a Starbucks manager does.

Last edited:
P.S.

By the way, the FAA is looking for them to top out at $60,000 a year. Sounds like a lot, but I don't think a center contoller should make what a Starbucks manager does.[/quote]

Heck, I don't think I should be making what a Starbucks Employee makes! Some of those guys are pulling down almost 185K with overtime.

And they're worth every penny (except at IAD). I say over pay 'em if that's what it takes and keep plenty of them on staff. We have some of the busiest and SAFEST airspace in the world for a reason. They deserve to be compensated for the job they do and the responsibility they have while working. Just my $.02

Q/F

The way that controlers can move us in and out of airports like ord, dtw, jfk, lga while thunderstorms are coming in and what not is unbelievable, they deserve all the money they get.

Looks like the race to the bottom is starting to make its way to the other side of the radio. It's a damn shame. :(

Soverytired said:
Sorry, I vote no. Government unions are BS anyway. Nothing like holding a gun to the head of the US taxpayer, no?

And who's holding a gun on anyone? You care to elaborate, or is that just BS? The only gun being held is by the FAA. Their policies will allow the system to deteriorate, even worse that it already is.

Personally I could have just as valid a point by saying "airline unions are BS, it's a public utility, they shouldn't be holding a gun to the traveling public's head".

But I don't, because I understand that morale and attracting the most highly qualified people are what keeps us safe. Management gets the blame all around, if you ask me.

Popeye0537 said:
Some of those guys are pulling down almost 185K with overtime.

Do you have any idea what they have to do to approach that level of pay? Starting with working 6 days a week? Living in some of the highest cost of living areas in the country, working the busiest most complex traffic in the world?

I didn't think you did.

Latest resources

Back