• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Help our counterparts in ATC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think ATC deserves what they are fighting for. Guys please...Listen to the frequencies and you'll realize it's them leading us around all day long. Weather it's Southwest, JetBlue or Continental they're the ones organizing the whole thing. Listen to Washington Center over Flatrock organizing the arrivals into EWR, not that easy. Go visit a major airport's ATC tower, these guys are real pro's. To say that guys working the tower freq should be making less than a pilot is selling them short.

There is more at stake than just salaries for the controllers. The FAA is trying to change work rules as well. They want to be able to keep a controller on position for an unlimited time. Now it is limited to 2 hours without a break. All the controllers I know say that after 90 minutes of staring at the screen they are wiped out.
Also the FAA wants to take away vacations as they see fit. So to add to the stress of the job, a controller who has a vacation coming up has to worry if they will even get to keep it.
The FAA also wants the right to down grade facilities as they see fit with the corresponding pay cuts that go with it. The contract now does fully downgrade pay.
With the imposed contract, new controllers will may more than 40% less than current controllers. Controllers in training that I have spoke to say they may quit and go elsewhere because part of the draw to such a stressful job and putting up with the brutal training was the compensation. You think 4 days in the simm was bad, trainees have someone over their shoulder everyday for 3 to 4 years.
With this reduced pay less qualified people will want the job so the FAA will have to lower the standards to attract and pass people. This means less qualified individuals watching over us.
If the FAA is allowed to IMPOSE this contract on the controllers without completing negotiations, this can only hurt ALL labor bargaining units around the country. The airlines will follow suit and try the same thing. They already have the federal judges on their side.
Call your congressman, go to www.fairfaa.com and send the letters. It is so easy.

gabbyzoel said:
There is more at stake than just salaries for the controllers. The FAA is trying to change work rules as well. They want to be able to keep a controller on position for an unlimited time. Now it is limited to 2 hours without a break. All the controllers I know say that after 90 minutes of staring at the screen they are wiped out.
Also the FAA wants to take away vacations as they see fit. So to add to the stress of the job, a controller who has a vacation coming up has to worry if they will even get to keep it.
The FAA also wants the right to down grade facilities as they see fit with the corresponding pay cuts that go with it. The contract now does fully downgrade pay.
With the imposed contract, new controllers will may more than 40% less than current controllers. Controllers in training that I have spoke to say they may quit and go elsewhere because part of the draw to such a stressful job and putting up with the brutal training was the compensation. You think 4 days in the simm was bad, trainees have someone over their shoulder everyday for 3 to 4 years.
With this reduced pay less qualified people will want the job so the FAA will have to lower the standards to attract and pass people. This means less qualified individuals watching over us.
If the FAA is allowed to IMPOSE this contract on the controllers without completing negotiations, this can only hurt ALL labor bargaining units around the country. The airlines will follow suit and try the same thing. They already have the federal judges on their side.
Call your congressman, go to www.fairfaa.com and send the letters. It is so easy.

I'm one of those guys who might quit and go elsewhere. ATC already has two tier pay (like CA/FO pay at the airlines). When you're in training, you make a sub-standard wage, and when you check out after 3-4 years (at the Centers, where about half of the controllers work -- towers/tracons can do it a little faster) you finally make the "advertised" rates. While you're in training for three to four years (don't forget 3 months at OKC) your training instructor holds your career in his hands.

The road to ATC is either as simple or as difficult as the FAA wants to make it. In this day and age, it tends to be more difficult. First, you pretty much MUST graduate from an FAA approved collegiate program, and there are only 14 in the country. 4 are at junior colleges, the rest are at 4-year schools. After that, you have to pass a fairly strict background check. Then, you get a medical and psych eval. Then, you get to spend another three months at the training academy. Back in the old days, the academy had a very high washout rate. Ooop, don't forget the aptitude test. If the FAA can't get enough civillian people, they can go to the military, right? Haha. The military ain't going to let go their entire ranks of controllers to keep the FAA happy. You can't just dump an ass load of money into an ATC career and expect to get a job. In fact, I got mine relatively cheap, for about $3000.

Folks, controlling for a career ain't like flying airplanes for a career. If I could make 80% of my (previous) controller's salary on my 30th birthday flying airplanes, I'd be flying airplanes. Fact is, they got the airline thing structured such that they can shove paycuts down your throats and you'll take them without much of a fight.

Can they do the same to us? They're going to try. The difference is, they're trying to play the senior guys against the junior guys. I wonder what playbook they got that one from? Here's the rub, though. Those hardball negotiating tactics work at any airline, major or commuter, because there's always a line of people willing to keep their job or take somebody else's job, no matter what.

The same isn't true for controllers. Nobody I know has the same burning desire to push tin that they do flying airplanes. The facilities are short staffed, guys are retiring, AND THE FAA ISN'T REPLACING THEM. They already cut this year's proposed hiring by 30%. Since it takes 3-4 years to make Captain, and every controller is a Captain, explain to me where they're going to get the bodies from. Short staffed ATC makes your job more difficult. Period. If you guys grounded your fleet for a day, I'd still get paid. If ATC shuts down for a day, good luck flying your airplane. Not all of you will get paid.

Also, to whoever was degrading government unions -- I can't strike, nor can we engage in organized work actions. Exactly how much power do we really hold? I'll give you a hint, it's not much.

I haven't made it to OKC (still waiting for my security clearance), but I sure hope this contract gets settled before I go. If it's as bad as everybody says it is, I'll be the first one out the door. There's too much work and too much risk involved with this job to do it for 65%-70% less pay than there already is.

P.S., just so everybody knows, the various bills in congress that fairfaa refers to have nothing to do with the specifics of the contract. All it does is require that the FAA negotiate a contract with the controllers, and if that can't happen, that it goes to binding arbitration. The administrator is under the impression she can impose a contract if she puts her mind to it.

smellthejeta said:
Also, to whoever was degrading government unions -- I can't strike, nor can we engage in organized work actions. Exactly how much power do we really hold? I'll give you a hint, it's not much.

Well... it was illegal for the NYC subway workers to strike as well. But they still did it even after a federal judge ordered them back onto the job. What're they going to do? Throw ALL of you in jail???

Alin10123 said:
Well... it was illegal for the NYC subway workers to strike as well. But they still did it even after a federal judge ordered them back onto the job. What're they going to do? Throw ALL of you in jail???

They won't throw the controllers in jail just fire them. The precedent has already been set and the current administration would love to fire them again just to prove a point. Besides the american public would not rally behind the controllers after what happened in 1980. The answer is for Congress to act in the next couple of weeks.
Only Congress can force the FAA back to the table and Congress will only do that if enough pressure is put on them. www.fairfaa.com

Thanks to the PATCO boys in '81, very few controllers are between a rock and a hard place. By that, I mean that there aren't enough senior controllers who have to hold on to their pensions and will do anything to screw the new guys. The FAA can't take away pensions, and the guys that are left are all about ready to retire. The new guys (either in the pool or just starting) don't have much invested, so we can just walk away if the contract is bad enough. There will be no strike, just a bunch of retirements and guys walking out the door.

I say pay controllers whatever it takes to attract and keep the good ones. give them more breaks, softer chairs, and for god's sake, tell them to have a good day, or weekend, or a simple 'see ya'. ANYTHING TO KEEP THEM HAPPY AND ALERT. All i know is that when ive got the seat reclined, the overhead light on, and the sudoku out, i appreciate having an attentive eye looking out for me and my lil' ole baron. if i didnt didnt have some of the controllers looking out for lazy bums like me, i might hafta put the crosswords down. If the controllers are not skilled or happy, i wont b able to get turns at the marker anymore. or direct to the airport. or the visual 40 miles out. or any of those other things that makes my job easier and more enjoyable. so to all the controllers out there, thank you and good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back