Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

USA_Av8r

Hey,
For you guys and gals flying those long legs and double or heavy crews. How much can you log for legal flight time? How do you represent that in your log books?

Log it all. You are a required crew member, even if you're asleep.
(you'll get a WIDE variety of logical, well thought out answers on this one.
My answer might not be considered correct, depending on the FAA person
you ask.)

8 hours?
If you have 1 capt, 1 FO, and IRO doing an 11 hour flight, who will log the 3 hour hours of PIC.....
I thought under part 121 you have to be designated as PIC....his/her name on the release so I would think that person is Captain the whole flight. I have seen cases where the 2 first officers have screwed up while the captain is in the bunk sleeping. Who do you think they violated?
It is really a gray area at best. I do believe that outfits like UPS have questioned people when they logged all the time as sic or IRO. Probably one would be smart to log 8 hours as SIC or whatever and rest as "other".
Bottom line you are a required crewmember so it should all be loggable.

I always go by time in the seat. If you don't have access to the controls, how can you be considered in command of the plane? Plus I believe the 8 hour rule in the seat per pilot still applies too, regardless of the 12 hours aloft rule.

I log it all. I was required to be on the aircraft in order to make it legal. If I was PIC, I signed the release and log book, regardless of who was in the seat.

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights-........................................................................................

(iii) When the pilot, except for a holder of a sport or recreational pilot certificate, acts as pilot in command of an aircraft for which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted; or

(f) Logging second-in-command flight time. A person may log second-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person:....
................................................................................

(1) Is qualified in accordance with the second-in-command requirements of §61.55 of this part, and occupies a crewmember station in an aircraft that requires more than one pilot by the aircraft's type certificate; or
(2) Holds the appropriate category, class, and instrument rating (if an instrument rating is required for the flight) for the aircraft being flown, and more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted.

It looks like this settles it. Log the whole flight.

Log it all. You are a required crew member, even if you're asleep.
(you'll get a WIDE variety of logical, well thought out answers on this one.
My answer might not be considered correct, depending on the FAA person
you ask.)

Thats how I do it.....

Not sure how a bunk qualifies as a crewmember station for SIC. Similarly, not sure how you can "act" as pilot in command from the bunk. Everyone here knows the regs we have to work under are horribly written. If you feel you can defend claiming ALL that time in an interview, go for it. My gut tells me the intent is to log the time in a front seat. You can't go wrong with that, and you can certainly count the time in the rack in a separate entry.

Latest resources

Back