• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawker to Hawaii

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep, it can be done with a little bit of planning. First of all, get 6 hours out of your head because it is going to take longer than that. If you go to PHNL leave out of Oakland or SFO, and I would do it early early in the morning so you wont have any delays getting out. If you go to Maui, leave out of Socal. Have the fbo put the nose of the hawker into a drainage grate or something like that so the aircraft is slanted downward when it gets fueled OVER the WING. Get every last drop in there that you can. You'll have to make the trip at .70 LRC. You can cross the water 2 ways, constant FF or constant TAS. For this trip, use TAS and the fuel #s will work out. Just keep pulling the power back as it gets lighter and accelerates and you will make it just fine. Anymore that 50 knots of headwind, and you need to turn back or not even depart. More than 50 knots, and you are asking for a lot of trouble. When you depart make sure you go directly to 380 min, and as soon as you can, get to 400. Hound the controllers if you have to, but make sure you get up there asap. Stand that bad boy on its tail through the teens, then lower the nose and climb it at 270 to .68 out of FL230 or 240. You'll need that speed up top if you are heavy or it just wont go. For some reason Hawker guys like to climb slow, and when it gets to altitude it just sits there with very high AOAs and then it takes forever to accelerate. You don't want that for this trip. Climb it fast out of the 20s on up. Remember, for the most part that wing is a 30 year old design. Also, I know baggage space is very limited, but rent some large O2 takes for pax use. That is really the only way to do the trip comfortably. Rent those tanks and make sure the valve behind the captains head is turned off, as you don't want the pax suxing down your O2 if the cabin gives. Get them their own bottles. Also remember that even if the cabin gives out over the water, as long as the RH engine is working, you have all the pressurization that you need. It might get hot in there, but hey, at least you are alive. Don't accept some early decent. If fuel is tight, plan a flight idle decent at 250 Knots to stay up as long as possible. Just program the decent into the box (If it's Honeywell nz2000s, tell the box what runway you are going to land on, then RH line select that fix. It should be the last item on the flight plan. Now put in the altitude of the runway threshhold +50 feet and ref +10. To go to that fix direct at any point in the flight and have it set up a decent as you programmed, hit Direct to then Line select the right hand side of the fix, which is where you entered the info of alt and speed. It's just takes you direct to the fix vertically as you have it programmed instead of just horizontally. The purple glide spope bug comes up and if you want to wait a little longer, then just dont follow it until you are ok with it. Just keep hitting Dir. to and line selecting the RH side and it will do that for you. Lots of Honeywell guys dont know that trick, but you do now!) After the boss sees how bad the trip over suxed, as soon as he gets home make sure you are with him to select the new paint and interior for the DA2000, DA50 or CL300 that should really be making this trip. None of all this hassle trying to squeeze a few extra miles out of this thing. Now, sit back at .70 and watch the water go by.

Last edited:
HawkerF/O said:
Yep, it can be done with a little bit of planning. First of all, get 6 hours out of your head because it is going to take longer than that. If you go to PHNL leave out of Oakland or SFO, and I would do it early early in the morning so you wont have any delays getting out. If you go to Maui, leave out of Socal. Have the fbo put the nose of the hawker into a drainage grate or something like that so the aircraft is slanted downward when it gets fueled OVER the WING. Get every last drop in there that you can. You'll have to make the trip at .70 LRC. You can cross the water 2 ways, constant FF or constant TAS. For this trip, use TAS and the fuel #s will work out. Just keep pulling the power back as it gets lighter and accelerates and you will make it just fine. Anymore that 50 knots of headwind, and you need to turn back or not even depart. More than 50 knots, and you are asking for a lot of trouble. When you depart make sure you go directly to 380 min, and as soon as you can, get to 400. Hound the controllers if you have to, but make sure you get up there asap. Stand that bad boy on its tail through the teens, then lower the nose and climb it at 270 to .68 out of FL230 or 240. You'll need that speed up top if you are heavy or it just wont go. For some reason Hawker guys like to climb slow, and when it gets to altitude it just sits there with very high AOAs and then it takes forever to accelerate. You don't want that for this trip. Climb it fast out of the 20s on up. Remember, for the most part that wing is a 30 year old design. Also, I know baggage space is very limited, but rent some large O2 takes for pax use. That is really the only way to do the trip comfortably. Rent those tanks and make sure the valve behind the captains head is turned off, as you don't want the pax suxing down your O2 if the cabin gives. Get them their own bottles. Also remember that even if the cabin gives out over the water, as long as the RH engine is working, you have all the pressurization that you need. It might get hot in there, but hey, at least you are alive. Don't accept some early decent. If fuel is tight, plan a flight idle decent at 250 Knots to stay up as long as possible. Just program the decent into the box (If it's Honeywell nz2000s, tell the box what runway you are going to land on, then RH line select that fix. It should be the last item on the flight plan. Now put in the altitude of the runway threshhold +50 feet and ref +10. To go to that fix direct at any point in the flight and have it set up a decent as you programmed, hit Direct to then Line select the right hand side of the fix, which is where you entered the info of alt and speed. It's just takes you direct to the fix vertically as you have it programmed instead of just horizontally. The purple glide spope bug comes up and if you want to wait a little longer, then just dont follow it until you are ok with it. Just keep hitting Dir. to and line selecting the RH side and it will do that for you. Lots of Honeywell guys dont know that trick, but you do now!) After the boss sees how bad the trip over suxed, as soon as he gets home make sure you are with him to select the new paint and interior for the DA2000, DA50 or CL300 that should really be making this trip. None of all this hassle trying to squeeze a few extra miles out of this thing. Now, sit back at .70 and watch the water go by.

Ive never flown in a hawker, and now, I dont think I want to ;)

This is getting insane. If it is that much of a stretch should you really be trying? It's like taking a LJ60 to Hawaii...some do it..some don't. But I've never been able to get an acceptable answer from those that do as to what happens if there's a press. problem past the PNR. Hope you brought your rubber duckie!!!

I'm all for pushing the limits of your aircraft...it's one thing when it's TEB-LAX....but it's a whole new ball game from OAK-PHNL.

Reminds me of a thread a few months back that asked about taking a Citation X to Hawaii. "M.92 to SFO and then put em' on the airlines." That was one of the best answers of all time!

Of course the sales dept's are going to say you can do it...perhaps you could offer the nice salesman a seat on the bosses shiny new Hawker for the first trip over? Surely he'd jump at the chance right?

My .02

Last edited:
OK guys, I'll open myself up again.

If an airplane is able to fly X amount of hours or X amount of miles, then any pro should be able to do that. Safely. Alot of pilots like to second guess the books or the regs. You know the type, they add their own little bit here or there. Are these guys really safer? Can anyone show me how someone doing what the books say an airplane will do has had that get them in an accident (or make one worse)? I've flown every jet airplane I've had the pleasure down to destination + 45 on fuel and down to 200 and 1/2 for wx. You're boss may not need another airplane, he may need another captain.

And just to save you all some typing: Yes I'm a jerk, yes I'm unsafe, yes I don't know what I'm talking about, blah, blah, blah.

Ace

Ace-of-the-Base said:
OK guys, I'll open myself up again.

If an airplane is able to fly X amount of hours or X amount of miles, then any pro should be able to do that. Safely. Alot of pilots like to second guess the books or the regs. You know the type, they add their own little bit here or there. Are these guys really safer? Can anyone show me how someone doing what the books say an airplane will do has had that get them in an accident (or make one worse)? I've flown every jet airplane I've had the pleasure down to destination + 45 on fuel and down to 200 and 1/2 for wx. You're boss may not need another airplane, he may need another captain.

And just to save you all some typing: Yes I'm a jerk, yes I'm unsafe, yes I don't know what I'm talking about, blah, blah, blah.

Ace

No man your not a jerk at all or unsafe or know what you are talking about. You are a pro .... just one who believes that this is an acceptable mission.

How are you planning to secure those extra bottles BTW? Unless you can carry these flamable O2 bottles in a secure fashion then you as I am sure you know, not legal. Also, how were you planning to keep your passengers from freezing to death at FL240 after the depressurization?

You do not get paid to say yes, you get paid to make smart decisions. Going to HI in an airplane that does not meet the criteria to make a safe crossing is not one of them. Blah blah blah.

Land with airport -alternate + 45 after I have been overland with lots of alternates under me no problem. Go to HI and hope everthing works out .... no way. Be prepared to turn around at 2 waypoints out after leave MRY if everthing is not working out.

If the boss does not like it, ask him to take the airlines or find another captain. With any luck, one that one will not kill him. This is a pretty unforgiving business.

Last edited:
Ive done it 4 times in a Hawker 800xp, I have only had to srub one trip because of wind. If you have a wet foot print you dont go, I have never landed in Hawaii with less than 2200 pounds of fuel. A good rule of them is if you average wid component is more than 65 knots on the nose you might want to postpone it for a couple of days untill the wind drops. Oh and Raytheon offers the large O2 tanks we have them installed on both of ours

Last edited:
Stryker said:
Ive done it 4 times in a Hawker 800xp, I have only had to srub one trip because of wind. If you have a wet foot print you dont go, I have never landed in Hawaii with less than 2200 pounds of fuel. A good rule of them is if you average wid component is more than 65 knots on the nose you might want to postpone it for a couple of days untill the wind drops.

? At 60 knots of headwind how does your DP senerio play out?

What altitude do you decend to?
Do you carry extra O2?

We have the optional Big o2 tanks and WE launch out of Monterey, No Bay area delays and the fuel fast. They send us right up to altitude .70 the whole way.
15000, ft for the loss of press alt

That is good that you have the big 02. I hear guys tell me about there extra 02 and just shake my head in dis-belief.

BTW another question. Ever have any problems being a speed bump in the track on the way to HI? Do have to use odd times ect?

Latest resources

Back