• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian "Five O"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Congrats! Looking forward to "jumping" on it.

Only Hawaiian can make money on that route. All of the legacies would lose money because most of the passengers are FF awards, which means free tickets. They could choose to restrict the number if FF seats, but that could anger those customers, so instead airlines like Delta route NYC passengers through ATL, SLC, LAX, and SFO. Hawaiian doesn't have many FFs in NYC, so if they want to go nonstop, they will have to pay. I know CAL (UAL) has a 764 from EWR nonstop too, and maybe it does well, or maybe it's just full of freebies.

Good for Hawaiian though, for exploiting a good route opportunity. Air Tahiti Nui used to fly an A340 from JFK to Tahiti nonstop, but that didn't last long. Here's to hoping Hawaiian has a successful launch.

Godspeed!

OYS

Only Hawaiian can make money on that route. All of the legacies would lose money because most of the passengers are FF awards, which means free tickets. They could choose to restrict the number if FF seats, but that could anger those customers, so instead airlines like Delta route NYC passengers through ATL, SLC, LAX, and SFO. Hawaiian doesn't have many FFs in NYC, so if they want to go nonstop, they will have to pay. I know CAL (UAL) has a 764 from EWR nonstop too, and maybe it does well, or maybe it's just full of freebies.

Good for Hawaiian though, for exploiting a good route opportunity. Air Tahiti Nui used to fly an A340 from JFK to Tahiti nonstop, but that didn't last long. Here's to hoping Hawaiian has a successful launch.

Godspeed!

OYS

Agreed! The last two times I flew NY-HNL, i had to go JFK/ATL, ATL/HNL and several weeks ago was worse. Red-eye HNL/LAX, LAX/MSP, MSP/LGA. Not fun!

If you're living in NYC the choice would be obvious. HAL from JFK; Great service on a new A330 with a company that wants to welcome you to Hawaii.

EWR and CAL .... Nuff said. (no offense intended to the long suffering victims of Jeffy and ALPA)

They have to explore new markets since they're losing ground on the West Coast.

Latest resources

Back