• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hawaiian "Five O"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They have to explore new markets since they're losing ground on the West Coast.

Your characterization of "Hawaiian losing ground" really shines a lite on your attitude. Awhile ago some AK guy made a post that we were shrinking because of you guys. Were do you guys get that crap? Hawaiian is doing great and we continue to expand our product. I've got no problem with other airlines flying to Hawaii, it's a huge market. For example, LAX/HNL has the most competition and we fill up our Airbuses on that one and are adding flights on that route. Our PDX flights both run full, now the one 767 (Airbus?) flight will be VERY full and all high yield tickets.

This just came out.....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hawaiian-Adding-Five-More-prnews-2913547562.html?x=0&l=1

hardly a move by an airline "losing ground"

Last edited:
I was just surprised fubi waited 8 hours for his first Hawaiian-bashing post after this thread got started. :) Seriously - HA is doing great, and AS is doing great. Why the need to instantly say something negative about another airline fubi? Don't we live with enough pressure for our managements? Shouldn't we try to support each other? It's only by chance I ended up here, and you there, instead of the other way around, so we should all be enjoying this rather than pulling ourselves down.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a pastrami sandwich in NY one afternoon, good Tokyo sushi two days later, and Australian lamb to round out the week. I'm buying. :) You coming along fubi?

Wow, guys, defensive much? You're sounding like the SWA guys you were critical of in the SLI threads. Pointing out the facts doesn't make one a hater. Chill out a little.

No we are not "losing ground on the west coast". you have been salivating over Hawaiian moving their OGG to PDX aircraft to OGG to OAK/SJC..

Nice try Dan. You can't compete in the PDX-OGG market so it just makes sense to move the airplanes elsewhere. And look where you moved them...the Bay Area. Why? You're losing business routing people who want to go to OGG, KOA and LIH through HNL.

I'm sure your jets are full of the low ball pax who think a Hawaii vacation is Waikiki. The high yield pax know better. I'd say we're doing OK since the planes are full and we keep adding service.

I agree we're really not a threat to you...we're the replacement for Aloha.

P.S. Dan...that link sounds good, but if you read the whole thing, its a net gain of three (3!) airplanes. Sounds great until you compare it to the 70 777s Emirates ordered.

I was just surprised fubi waited 8 hours for his first Hawaiian-bashing post after this thread got started.

As I said, point out some facts and you're bashing. Not really. It is instructive to consider that we have the most flights to the islands per day.

And what's hurting you guys? West Coast passengers are wedded to the AS mileage plan. Hawaii is becoming a huge factor in that network. Are we flying AA and DAL codeshare pax? Of course.

Hey, we love the competition. We've knocked out lots of carriers. Wien and MarkAir are history. We ran DAL out of SE Alaska. SWA just dropped BOI and GEG out of SEA.

You have your niche. Hopefully it won't be reduced to interisland 717s. If I were you, I'd worry more about the Asian carriers.

Listen, when we buy HAL, I'll even support giving your pilots DoH. :beer:

Last edited:
I was just surprised fubi waited 8 hours for his first Hawaiian-bashing post after this thread got started. :) Seriously - HA is doing great, and AS is doing great. Why the need to instantly say something negative about another airline fubi? Don't we live with enough pressure for our managements? Shouldn't we try to support each other? It's only by chance I ended up here, and you there, instead of the other way around, so we should all be enjoying this rather than pulling ourselves down.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a pastrami sandwich in NY one afternoon, good Tokyo sushi two days later, and Australian lamb to round out the week. I'm buying. :) You coming along fubi?

Well said HAL. I feel lucky to have been hired initially for my first airline by the home town regional in Minneapolis (not that things are peachy here now)-but its given me a lot of time at home. That being said-as HAL said with as how we end up at an airline, I hope I end up at one of my first choices. My hopes are that it is a combination of decent pay, great pilot group, successful business model, and great west coast bases so my family can move to a warmer climate.

Wow, guys, defensive much? You're sounding like the SWA guys you were critical of in the SLI threads. Pointing out the facts doesn't make one a hater. Chill out a little.

Nice try Dan. You can't compete in the PDX-OGG market so it just makes sense to move the airplanes elsewhere. And look where you moved them...the Bay Area. Why? You're losing business routing people who want to go to OGG, KOA and LIH through HNL.

I'm sure your jets are full of the low ball pax who think a Hawaii vacation is Waikiki. The high yield pax know better. I'd say we're doing OK since the planes are full and we keep adding service.

I agree we're really not a threat to you...we're the replacement for Aloha.

P.S. Dan...that link sounds good, but if you read the whole thing, its a net gain of three (3!) airplanes. Sounds great until you compare it to the 70 777s Emirates ordered.

As I said, point out some facts and you're bashing. Not really. It is instructive to consider that we have the most flights to the islands per day.

And what's hurting you guys? West Coast passengers are wedded to the AS mileage plan. Hawaii is becoming a huge factor in that network. Are we flying AA and DAL codeshare pax? Of course.

Hey, we love the competition. We've knocked out lots of carriers. Wien and MarkAir are history. We ran DAL out of SE Alaska. SWA just dropped BOI and GEG out of SEA.

You have your niche. Hopefully it won't be reduced to interisland 717s. If I were you, I'd worry more about the Asian carriers.

Listen, when we buy HAL, I'll even support giving your pilots DoH. :beer:

You're arrogance makes sacha and flyvixin sound down right humble. You're the one that spent so much energy taking them to task for acting exactly like you are.
A lot of what you say is simply wrong. I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you and I certainly don't judge all AK pilots by your posts. To be honest you may be a great guy in person. However there is a term used over here that begins with F and ends with haole. Contrary to what some people think it is not a racist term per se, more of an observation about newcomers that come to Hawaii and are disrespectful, loud and obnoxious.
You are painting AK with that brush.

Last edited:
Wow, Dan. I think its YOU who are sounding every bit as defensive as the SWA boys on an SLI thread.

Sure is different when someone shines a light where YOU don't want it.

Wow, Dan. I think its YOU who are sounding every bit as defensive as the SWA boys on an SLI thread.

Sure is different when someone shines a light where YOU don't want it.

You are saying things that are patently false and come from a position of thinking you are better than you really are.
Alaska's Hawaii service doesn't have the best reputation over here.
Clearly I would take offense to the drivel you are posting, if that sounds defensive, so be it.

I wouldn't think YOU would like our service. However, our customers LOVE it and that's what counts. Perhaps it is YOUR customers you should worry about. I guess they got tired of flying from the Bay Area to OGG and KOA via HNL.

After we took enough of them, I guess your marketing folks decided to add direct flights out of the Bay Area. No worries, but that says a lot about who's scared and who's confident.

All due respect (have several friends working for AK, great place, would've been happy to have wound up there, too), but those flights that were cancelled were still profitable, and high-yield to boot. Your information is simply wrong.

All due respect (have several friends working for AK, great place, would've been happy to have wound up there, too), but those flights that were cancelled were still profitable, and high-yield to boot. Your information is simply wrong.

You are correct of course and his characterization of Hawaiian pax's as lowball further defines him.
The reality is AK is getting the low yield traffic to try and stimulate market share.

Latest resources

Back