• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airline pilot uniforms suck, it's not the 1920's anymore, you don't need to associate the "captain" of the airplane with a captain of a ship anymore to give it legitimacy "Arrr maties". Epaulets with stripes are freaking dumb too, "Hey everybody, I'm in charge because I have four stripes". I'm all for khaki's and collared shirts in winter and shorts and collared shirts in summer with flip-flops; maybe add a ball-cap if one is so inclined. And if you need to assert your authority, you can have "Captain" embroidered over the left breast. Who gives a poop if you look professional, nobody ever sees you doing your job and rarely sees you in the cockpit. The only time people see you is when you are walking through the airport, and even then your uniform looks like sh!t because you've been flying all day and people think you don't care about your appearance because as far as they know, you just showed up from home.

Let me guess: regional FO?

nope, just an observer. The ones who really stand out are the young dudes who fly for the regionals and their uniforms look just like they left it wadded up on the floor the previous night. Second to those are the old dudes walking around with a big old beer belly and a hat on. It looks rediculous. It used to be customary in society to not wear a hat indoors. You folks b!tch about people asking you questions about their flights or gate, but you sit around in these uniforms that stick out like a sore thumb. What do you expect? Not to mention that the uniform style has been copied by bus drivers, skycaps, etc....

Last edited:
Also, the uniforms just look cheap, i.e. the materials look low quality. That doesn't do it any good for the appearance of professionalism.

Also, the uniforms just look cheap, i.e. the materials look low quality. That doesn't do it any good for the appearance of professionalism.

The uniform looks great when properly worn. That means shining the shoes, pressing the pants and jacket, ironing the shirt, keeping the tie tightened up, and wearing the danged hat. This isn't complicated, people. Looks like a professional if you expect to be treated as one.

From ALPA HQ policy:

17.21.a.2

"Representatives have the option of:

1) Wearing the hat associated with their respective airline, or;

2) A moustache may be substituted provided that it is of a size equal to, or greater than, that of the hat in section 17.21.a.2.1 ".

PIPE

Very humorous indeed!

Don't forget the old saying: "If you wear a name tag at work, chances are the company won't shut down without you."

-Blucher;)

PS-Pipe, that was fantastic! The laugh was greatly appreciated.

Airline Pilot uniforms are dorky.Who else wears short sleeves and ties with name tags? Does Fast food and Wal-mart come to mind. They should take a cue from the military. Summer goes short sleeves and no tie, winter equal long sleeves and tie..simple.

However nothing burns my but like seeing these riddle kids with their doc martin/skechers shoes with gold laces and waffle sole kiss boots augmented with sideburns down to their chins. Are they trying to look professional or cool? Thank god for no beards or they would have goats and soul patches. I wouldn't let these D!ck wads go out with my daughter, let alone fly my family around the country!

Looks like a professional if you expect to be treated as one

I'll look like a professional when I get the pay and work rules of a professional.

I'll look like a professional when I get the pay and work rules of a professional.

Is that what you told the interviewer when you were trying to get your job and were probably dressed up in your best suit? :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back