Hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looks like a professional if you expect to be treated as one

I'll look like a professional when I get the pay and work rules of a professional.

And how is that mexican stand off working for you.... Management laughs at clowns that think like this.... cause your in thier office throwing down this type of ultimatum.....:rolleyes:

In addition, if you did get paid more money you'd dress nice for a short time... then you'd come up with a new flavor-of-the-month reason to be unprofessional.... And this is simply because... you are not professional.

Professionalism is personal choice. Professionals aren't a by-product of an organizational culture. They are hired. Some non-professionals slip thru the cracks. No one can do for you what your mama never did......

What do you wear in the sim when you go in for your checkride?

Do you wear a uni and your hat?

Doubt it. Are you unprofessional when you fly your checkrides because you don't have on a uni and hat?

What you are wearing (as opposed to how you wear whatever it is you wear) has nothing to do with professionalism.

How you fly, treat your crew, and handle situations is how you show your professionalism. What you wear has little to nothing to do with it.

Most of my flights are done in jeans and a polo shirt, and I can assure you that I conduct my flights in a very professional manner.

FJ

What do you wear in the sim when you go in for your checkride?

Do you wear a uni and your hat?

Doubt it. Are you unprofessional when you fly your checkrides because you don't have on a uni and hat?

What you are wearing (as opposed to how you wear whatever it is you wear) has nothing to do with professionalism.

How you fly, treat your crew, and handle situations is how you show your professionalism. What you wear has little to nothing to do with it.

Most of my flights are done in jeans and a polo shirt, and I can assure you that I conduct my flights in a very professional manner.

FJ

Nailed it.

its too bad so many people are superficial. being professional means ACTING professional no matter what you are wearing. Just because you put on something to wear does NOT in no way mean you are professional. If looks are everything to you then you are in the wrong business. The days of being a pilot just to walk through the terminal and get all the looks are over. Its not glamorous because the pay and respect by the airlines gets lower and lower each day

I'll look like a professional when I get the pay and work rules of a professional.

Well, that should propel this thread for a few more pages. I see Rez is already on it. Either this place has become too predictable, or I'm wasting too much of my life on here. I wonder... :)

I started a huge anti hat thread on the APA message board and pretty much got my nuts handed over to me by the hard core Sky Nazis. I agree with the original poster, hats are outdated and don't do much to enhance a pilot's professional look. Nostalgic, definitely. But way out of style.

All the world's a stage...

... hats are outdated and don't do much to enhance a pilot's professional look. Nostalgic, definitely. But way out of style.

To many of us, perhaps, but not to the "audience". Like it or not, part of our job is show business, and the actors don't get to design the costumes. If we made a list of things that management should change, hat policy would be pretty far down. :pimp:

To many of us, perhaps, but not to the "audience". Like it or not, part of our job is show business, and the actors don't get to design the costumes. If we made a list of things that management should change, hat policy would be pretty far down. :pimp:

Nailed it. Pax don't have access to our training records. All they have is what they see.....

If you want to blend in with the FA's and gate agents who also wear shoulder boards then go ahead and tell others you are part of the 3% Klub and not some San Fran Frannie Fanny....

The Hat is the only indicator that distinguishes Pilots from other airport employees (Skycaps are trying to gain creditibility :rolleyes: )

So as management continues to group us together with the aircraft cleaners in terms of pay and respect.... go ahead... chuck our image with it...

It is not about YOU! It is about how you are perceived by others. If the REVENUE thinks that being a pilot is the same skill as aircraft cleaners and we asisst with the image then we will be exactly that...

No one cares about Air Line Pilots except Air Line Pilots.

And no one really cares about you and your family..except your familiy. Does that mean when you go out to a family dinner looking like trailer trash? No. You clean up and wear a collar. You treat people with respect and with civilty. Dress code is a part of the total image.

But wait.... pay pilots 300K a year and they will dandy prance the terminals like Capt. Jack Sparrow..... which says that most pilots self respect comes from how others treat and pay them..... not what they think of themselves....

We are screwed..........

Latest resources

Back