• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Airlines uses car parts!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yea been renting out the right seat since 1991 with thousands of hours and flights with never a single fatal accident, more than some of the "professional airlines" can say! Most be some bad pilots in the seats. or maybe its that crappy training they make the pilots recieve! I was part of the training department for 6 years and i have seen it all from 250hr wonder kids to 4000 hr furloughed pilots. As a captain in know whats safe and what is being done to make a statement. If someone wants to make a statement they need to make sure they can back it up. I make myself clear on providing my passengers with a safe flight, and management has never given me a prob.

If someone wants to make a statement they need to make sure they can back it up.

I still don't understand how the captain's actions weren't backed up by the conditions. So you don't think the company was trying to make a statement by firing the guy?

As a captain in know whats safe and what is being done to make a statement. If someone wants to make a statement they need to make sure they can back it up.

There is one particular route in my airline's network that I won't fly without TCAS. Got a problem with that? Think I should be fired? I think I should get a freakin medal for sparing my pax an unplanned Cessna forking.

The guy had a rational, if conservative, basis for refusal. Anytime you take a stand there's a chance of a carpet dance, but fired? I'm glad this guy is getting in the papers, put some heat on the scabs that fired him.

If someone wants to make a statement they need to make sure they can back it up. I make myself clear on providing my passengers with a safe flight, and management has never given me a prob.

Your airline uses car parts on airplanes with poor unsuspecting passengers. By the way you guys probably produce pilots with a reputation because the instructors with 6 years experience have only 850 hours of actual flight time.

GIA began ordering from company A directly and did it for some time before this was a prob. Never a safety factor but when GIA learned this could not be done it was corrected

It was corrected when GIA found out it couldn't be done or when the FAA found out it was happening? Do you really believe GIA didn't know what was going on? Yeah, keep sucking on the Kool Aid bud.

Maybe at a 135 operation but I have never seen this type of thing at a 121 airline. If you have to take pictures of the flight log to keep the company honest then you need to change airlines. If you accept this it will continue. That along with pencil whipping is why I left 135 flying.

Sadly, this was a 121 operation. Fortunately the "reason" I felt compelled to duplicate log pages is no longer with the company, but old habits die hard. And by photographing the log pages, I was no longer accepting the shadiness. That was my way of taking a stand... direct proof stands up so much better than anecdotal evidence in any discussion with the company.

The guy had a rational, if conservative, basis for refusal. Anytime you take a stand there's a chance of a carpet dance, but fired? I'm glad this guy is getting in the papers, put some heat on the scabs that fired him.

I agree, why fire him? Call out a reserve pilot to fly the route. I remember the Eagle ATR guy that got fired after taking off and returning to the airport after picking up a bunch of ice (this after the Eagle Crash in Indiana showing that the ATR was suspected of Ice Bridging). Eagle said you go or your fired. Didn't that dude win millions of dollars in his lawsuit? It would have saved them millions to just call out a reserve pilot.

I am sure if Gulfstream had a chance to do this again they wouldn't have fired him knowing the heat it would bring on them.

cx880 sorry i do not update my hours every 2 legs just so i can justify myself. if i am a captain then i think you know how many hours i have. I was on lost medical for 5 years 3months and 4 days. If i stuck with it this long it is because i believe that aviation is the best thing in the world. It sad when people dont know the whole story but talk like they have first hand knowledge. Just like any accident it was not just the denial of the ac, it was many other things that had led up to his termination. I have nothing against the guy he is a great guy and had him in one of my classes i instructed, i think he made a poor choice on handling the situation. true if GIA knew the outcome the situtiaon may have been handled diff. just as many companies sometimes make poor decisions.

In Gulfstreams defense...

...You can buy a landing light bulb for the beechjet at Tractor Supply company. It's the same box, has the FAA PMA number on it, the difference it's it's $24 at Tractor Supply and $200+ from some other parts dealers.

Maybe they've run into the same situation.

Latest resources

Back