• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Airlines uses car parts!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe it is overkill, but I try to digitally photograph every aircraft logbook page before I leave the airplane to prove that the times I have are official. It has helped me out in two instances when my company was trying to make me legal in a 30/7 situation. Crew trac times have no value...what is in the can is what counts.

As for GIA, it sounds like life at every regional I have worked at, some more so than others. Mx tends to ignore certain pilot complaints, to ops check good half the write ups, and just move a bad part from one plane to another and hope the next crew doesn't write it up for a while. These behaviors tend to get caught, go away, and eventually resurface when pilots let their guard down again.

I hope GIA gets their act together. It seems like there are multiple cries for help coming from the rank and file... will the FAA listen?

I don't want to defend Gulfstream, but that Captain refused to fly an airplane because the TCAS was defered, and the WX was bad. Big deal. This is how 121 works, if its deferable, you move on...get the aircraft back to a base, then fight with DX about a swap. I'd be really ticked if my flight was cancelled because the TCAS was defered. Talk about unrelaible service.

That’s what I called free publicity! not bad at all, shine planes!

Jeesh,
Why wouldn't they use car parts? They get pilots to pay their parents retirement to fly as passengers in the front seat, and wear goofy uniforms to do so. It's all about the money!
PBR

I don't want to defend Gulfstream, but that Captain refused to fly an airplane because the TCAS was defered, and the WX was bad. Big deal.

You missed one little detail: the pressurization was also deferred. That means he's stuck below 10,000, in dense GA traffic, moving at ~230 knots, with a broken TCAS.

I would have refused a plane in the same scenario, too.

This is how 121 works, if its deferable, you move on...get the aircraft back to a base, then fight with DX about a swap.
Uhhh... no. If it's deferrable and safe, you move on. Just as an example, the 1900 allows you defer the very same RMI that's your only source of nav information in the event of a dual generator failure. And while it's perfectly legal to go at night or in low IMC with that equipment deferred, I won't do it. (And at my previous operator, I've run into exactly that scenario [low IMC], and refused the plane for safety reasons. I waited for the low clouds to dissipate before we took off.)

I'd be really ticked if my flight was cancelled because the TCAS was defered. Talk about unrelaible service.
As I said, it wasn't just the TCAS -- it was several deferred items that added up to an unsafe situation.

Latest resources

Back