• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Airlines uses car parts!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gulfstream needs to get examined closely by the FAA. The fact that they are using car parts is absolutely ridiculous. I can't imagine where else they're compromising safety to save a dime...

I'm not surprised that Gulfstream uses car parts. I AM surprised they use NEW car parts.

haha! of all the jokes about those compressors, THAT is honestly one of the best..

"welcome aboard flight XXXX, todays flight is brought to you by autozone..."

If car parts are what it takes to get the VCM running and stay running, well then bring it on: AC Delco for the win.

What do you expect from a company started by an Eastern....well, you know.

Maybe it is overkill, but I try to digitally photograph every aircraft logbook page before I leave the airplane to prove that the times I have are official. It has helped me out in two instances when my company was trying to make me legal in a 30/7 situation. Crew trac times have no value...what is in the can is what counts.

As for GIA, it sounds like life at every regional I have worked at, some more so than others. Mx tends to ignore certain pilot complaints, to ops check good half the write ups, and just move a bad part from one plane to another and hope the next crew doesn't write it up for a while. These behaviors tend to get caught, go away, and eventually resurface when pilots let their guard down again.

I hope GIA gets their act together. It seems like there are multiple cries for help coming from the rank and file... will the FAA listen?

Maybe at a 135 operation but I have never seen this type of thing at a 121 airline. If you have to take pictures of the flight log to keep the company honest then you need to change airlines. If you accept this it will continue. That along with pencil whipping is why I left 135 flying.

first lets set some things straight. from the fed that did the investigation, i know him on a personal level. GIA was ordering the parts from Company A and having them directly sent to the maintanace facility. That particular part must be sent to Beech for them to put thier sticker on it and make it approved before sending it to GIA. Mostly a paperwork, thing from what i understand. GIA began ordering from company A directly and did it for some time before this was a prob. Never a safety factor but when GIA learned this could not be done it was corrected.

As for the TCAS thing, give me a break! Okay it has been said a few times and i just dont get it. Your telling me you dont take the AC because of scary VFR traffic?? Look at the case it was night, there were multiple thunderstorms in the area, and it was getting late. So yea it sounds like a great time for Private Joe Bob to get some training or be out practicing?? Yea give me a break!

I belive in the capt. authority to deny an aircraft and will do it in a heart beat if i feel my passengers, myself, or the airlplane is dangerous.

S3jetman,

You seem to contradict yourself.

As for the TCAS thing, give me a break! Okay it has been said a few times and i just dont get it. Your telling me you dont take the AC because of scary VFR traffic?? Look at the case it was night, there were multiple thunderstorms in the area, and it was getting late. So yea it sounds like a great time for Private Joe Bob to get some training or be out practicing?? Yea give me a break!

I belive in the capt. authority to deny an aircraft and will do it in a heart beat if i feel my passengers, myself, or the airlplane is dangerous.

Cut the guy some slack. He used his PIC authority when He felt like the situation was not safe. Who knows who else was picking their way through those thunderstorms. Is this, To Hell With Safety, the kind of attitude/culture you guys are promoting at Gulfstream?

Is this, To Hell With Safety, the kind of attitude/culture you guys are promoting at Gulfstream?

I'd say that's a pretty obvious "yes," given the history of their maintenance. To say nothing of renting out the right seat to anybody with a wet commercial and $30K to spare.

Latest resources

Back