• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Gulfstream Airlines to Major?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
“All you need are the right qualifications...." - NOT necessarily...I was hired into TWO jobs I wasn't even remotely qualified for. Both were 121 Ops.

"..and THE PROPER ATTITUDE”. " - ABSOLUTELY. See the above, and BELOW.

Consider this:

With a total time of 900 hours C-150/52

- 7.8 Multi

- 1.2 ACTUAL Instrument PIC

I was offered right seat in a DC-6.

Crazy?

No...I just explained to the Man why I could do it, and why he needed me too.

I turned that job down to fly a larger, 4 engine TURBINE aircraft.

Attitude Determines Altitude.

You DON't need to fly for the Commuters or PFT to get where you want to go.

WORD.

YKW

Last edited:
Shortly after that I remember they started making guys pay for training to go straight into the left seat.

Must clarify. No company out there MAKES a pilot pay for their training. That is the PILOT'S choice whether or not to do that.

Years ago I worked with a pilot who did the PFT thing. Went to the right seat of a J31 at around 300 hours. A couple of years later she was flying for United. Still there to my knowledge. While she was loving life as 737 pilot, her contemporaries were doing the "honorable" thing by working as instructors or freight dogs for 13K a year. Which would you rather be?

It seems to me that there are three ways to "pay your dues" (as some will insist that we must do). The first is to spend several years slogging it out as a CFI/Freight Dawg/Regional pilot. The second is two spend 10 years getting shot at in the military, and the third is to alleviate the risk that a company takes in hiring a low time pilot by paying for your initial training. Personally, I think paying 10K for 1) a guaranteed job, and 2) the chance to skip all that time building BS is a hell of an investment.

Yeh, but it wasn't the PFT that made her a pilot, it was BAE.. :D

The funny thing is about this whole bickering match about PFT, is that everyone pays for their own training, unless they went the military route. You paid for all your ratings, then you flight instructed for a while, then you flew 135 for a couple of years, then you got a job at a regional (where the pay still sucks) and you are still stuck there.

GIA guys paid, got trained, got put right into the right seat of a 1900? I was sitting in ground school with 2000 hours and several years of my life living on a pittance wages, and the GIA guys had skipped the whole process. If you understand the time value of money, the money I spent on my initial training and the time I spent scrounging for cash so I could eat macaroni and cheese with hotdogs in it, and compare it to the GIA guys situation, they probably come out in not such bad shape.

I don't necessarily think that 250-500 hour pilots should be flying passengers around, but I think the PFT fight is a dead one.

I would NOT recommend Gulfstream. If it was up to me, (which it's not of course) SWA would NOT ever hire a Gulfstream Airlines pilot.

I guess they paid for your 737 type when you got hired at SWA. oh I get it now its ok to PFT at SWA but not any other airline.

A good friend of mine just got hired at SWA... Told him my company may be going belly up and I was looking for somewhere to go.. "Ahh, let me put you in touch with a guy in my class who was from Gulfstream..."

Also, my pops had an FO a few months back who was.. from Gulfstream...

Sounds like there is no hope for the GIA kids.. ;)

Latest resources

Back