Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

citabriapilot

V Murdda...
I have read lots of stuff on these forums about how everyone looks down on the pay to play FO's at Gulfstream, but what about the street captains that get hired?

I have a potential in over there to walk in as a captain, but wanted to get the opinion of some of the pilots at Southwest, Airtran, UPS, etc. and see if there is any bad feelings towards the captains who got their time the legitimate way and then worked at Gulfstream. Pro's/Con's?

I could stay with my current company and fly a 1900, but it would be singlepilot, same runs everyday, no 121 experience. What are your thoughts?

All you need the right qualifications and the proper attitude. Sure we don't like this whole PFJ thing.....

If you want to be liked by the cool dudes...then don't.

However, if you have the right attitude, excellent airmanship and a FedEx or UPS ID card, the cool dudes can't say jack..... oh they'll try, but you'll be laughing to the bank while they fester in thier own misguided bitter...

I would stay away. You'll spend the rest of your career explaining how you may have worked there but you weren't PFT. It really is a big black mark, for right or wrong.

Ask PCL-128, He has been there. He also has said that he did not understand the situation before he entered into the program. Not sure if he would do it again if he had the chance , but get his perspective.

AA

I would NOT recommend Gulfstream. If it was up to me, (which it's not of course) SWA would NOT ever hire a Gulfstream Airlines pilot.

I know back in 2004 they were hiring guys into the left seat on the up and up. Shortly after that I remember they started making guys pay for training to go straight into the left seat. Which one are they offering you?

In the hopes that this isn't flame bate..........

1) Most people here don't know how Gulfstream academy works. So you'll get only negative info which is mostly wrong....

2) Gulfstream is NOT currently hiring of the street captains....

3)If you do the academy program, it does not mean you'll have a job with the airline.

4)If you get the job, you'll be fine. I did it and went to Airtran directly from there. I'm not the only one. I have friends that left to American, United, Delta,ATA (back in the days) Southwest, Airtran, and Continental this past couple months.
Nobody has ever made me feel bad or put me down except at Flightinfo. I usually stay out of the fights since they are pointless.

If you get hired, the contract is one of the best 1900 contracts in the U.S. (made 70 thou my last year as an Inst/Procheck) And you get benefits through Continental Airlines (travel)

Last time I checked they were not hiring of the street captns. It is not common. They only do it if there are no ugrades due to time requirements.
Pilots are represented by teamsters.

mach zero said:
I would NOT recommend Gulfstream. If it was up to me, (which it's not of course) SWA would NOT ever hire a Gulfstream Airlines pilot.

Obviously not up to you, I have a few friends that went to Southwest directly from Gulfstream....

mach zero said:

That's crap, I know of two of them there right now. Met one in STL at Chilli's 2. He was a young looking captain. Asked how his career path got him to SWA. He said GIA.

AA

Latest resources

Back