• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

GTA/Dallas Alum

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Prior to the 2,174-hour commercial pilot return flight to his home airport, the airplane was serviced with 54 gallons of fuel, for a total of 74 gallons of fuel on board. A review of the flight manifest for October 25 had the airplane airborne for 2 hours and 18 minutes, with the take-off at 1740 and landing Houston at 1958. The airplane was equipped with two 40-gallon wing fuel tanks, with 37 gallons useable. Additionally, the operator planned for an 18-gallons/hour fuel burn during cruise flight, and 22-gallons/hour in a climb. On October 26, the pilot departed approximately 16:40 for a 221 nautical mile flight. During the flight, the pilot decided to return to the airport due to "bad" weather and moderate to heavy turbulence. Approximately 40 minutes after departure, the "engine quit"; the pilot ran the checklist, which including switching fuel tanks (from the right to the left tank), turning on the [electric] fuel pump, applying full rich mixture and turning the magnetos; left, right and to both. The engine did not restart and the pilot elected to land in a field. During the forced landing the airplane's nose gear collapsed and the came to rest with the nose down. The pilot reported that after the landing he looked in each fuel tank and observed, " sufficient quantities of fuel." The following morning, with the airplane still tipped up on it's nose an FAA inspector observed that the left fuel tank was empty and the right tank had "about an inch" of fuel in the tank. During the airplane salvage retrieval, recovery personnel reported they drained 21 gallons of fuel from the right fuel tank and that the left tank contained approximately 1 quart of fuel. Environmental personnel reported that "no sheen or soil staining" was observed in the area of the crash and no fuel was spilled in the airplane recovery. The pilot reported to the NTSB IIC, that he visually checked the fuel level, and both tanks were at the three-quarter full level prior to the flight; on the NTSB form 6120.1 (Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report) he reported that he had 46 gallons of fuel on board and that he used approximately 1 gallon of fuel before departure. The airplane was transported to a salvage yard and an airplane examination was conducted. The fuel lines and vents were clear and unobstructed. The two wing drain ports were undamaged with no evidence of any leakage. Both wing fuel tanks were not breached in the accident sequence. The engine's fuel servo fuel-screen was removed and was in good condition and absent of any debris. Other than a bent propeller, the engine did not appear to have sustained any impact damage during the accident. The engine was fitted with a test propeller and a fuel container was attached to the fuel line on the left side of the airplane. The engine's oil was checked and read as 11 quarts on the dipstick. The airplane's electric fuel pump operated and was used to prime the engine. The engine was then started and run for approximately 5 minutes. The engine was then shutdown and the fuel container was switched and connected to the right side fuel line. Again, the engine was started and run for approximately 5 minutes. During the engine runs, the engine was run to full power, the oil pressure was normal, and the left-right magneto drop was between 50-60 rpm. No abnormalities were found with the engine operation.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The loss of engine power due to fuel starvation as a result of the pilot's improper fuel management.

dayum...whats up with the giant red letters?

Yea I remember Paxton, he gave me my company ground school, then kicked me outta bed at 0400, (how was I supposed to know that was his bed?) Did Abhi fly for cherry air? I think I flew with him at GTA.

Small world. Paxton Lines was my first flight instructor at CTC. He is a good guy, does anyone know were he is at now?

N31 Do#$e Bag. Wow that brings back some memories. I flew it back in the early 90's for a small 135 outfit at FTW. We got that one from Million Air where they had painted it tan with the green stripes. You should have seen the interior (shag green carpet). D.B. stood for Dollar Bill or so we were told.

It sat in mtx for a long time because the leading edge of one the wings was blown off one morning on engine start (fuel leak). After I left, my successor was run over while taxi-ing 31DB at Love by one of our 737's. It should have been put out of its misery right then and there but WN paid to have that thing rebuilt. So anyone flying it now can feel comfort in the knowledge that from the back door aft is 1995 vintage instead of 1967 like the rest of that beast.

Did anyone ever fly N3260Q? I flew that one as well and nearly died in it after an exhaust leak near the turbocharger started melting the right engine mount away. That one we used to fly W around in while he was campaigning for governor of TX. Not every airport could accept the family's Gulfstream you know...

Wow 60Q used to fly W? I swore up and down something was wrong with that plane, it had exceptionally worse performance then the rest of the fleet.

Lying Mike (5421M) was my least favorite beast... that or the bonanzas....

GTA alumni 2007

5421M is da bomb... I did the HOU-DAL-HOU-DAL-HOU. in it for nine months. It was a workhorse. loved it... 60Q had 13000 some odd hours 1.3 at a time... 31DB was a pig but man watching those wings flex in extreme turbulence was a sight. I remember the pilot that got caught beating off in the crew room also left the cargo strap hanging out the door until there was a hole in the fuselage.

The long-haired guy in Scheduling was David, rice rocket boy was Francois, and the guy who got caught manually lowering his gear was Matt, aka Precious in his Ameristar years. Found out he passed away a few years ago in his sleep due to some heart condition. There was a girl named Nicole from Belgium who bought some multi-time that used to fly with me alot. Anyone remember her last name? There was a guy named Hardit(don't remember his last name) who went to work for a regional, and haven't heard a thing on him since I left.

Latest resources

Back